Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu/DeMudi as an Audio Workstation?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu/DeMudi as an Audio Workstation?

Quote Originally Posted by geppy
    The problem was that you didn't have the realtime-lsm module installed. The easiest way to install it is probably by using 'module-assistant', available in 'universe'. Once you've installed it, you'll need to run 'modprobe realtime gid=29', which loads the realtime Linux security module with the group ID of 29 (the Debian audio group).

Hi, I am back with Ubuntu, and have same error when starting qjackctl. After creating the module with module-assistent I get:
    $ sudo modprobe realtime gid=29
    Password:
    FATAL: Error inserting realtime (/lib/modules/2.6.10-5-686/kernel/security/realtime.ko): Invalid argument

?

Beans

Ok, did a reboot and the module loaded, and then qjackctl loaded fine, and then jack loaded too. So big thanks Geppy.

Beans

Hi,

I just installed agnula/demudi stuff on my Ubuntu (Hoary). I haven't however tried
    to install the kernel patch yet. I installed some 2.6.12-multimedia -kernel
    in the belief that would be the solution, but apparently that wasn't - result
    was just lockup. I will propably try to patch some functioning kernel soon as
    with longer latencies, music making is not possible. I used to have the patch
    working on old Redhat 9, but after that I switched to Suse and the audio
    applications never really worked as they should and now I am trying things
    with Ubuntu. I haven't done music for a while because my audio recording
    computer haven't worked, however, I am feeling quite optimistic now...
    At least now the audio works and we got Hydrogen running
    successfully yesterday evening with the ST-Audio DSP-2000 C-port
    (jack etc. works).

Best Regards,
    Karoliina Salminen
    http://www.ampcast.com/karoliina
    P.S. Ubuntu is great, I am using it (Ubuntu Breezy) at work too.

Beans

I am currently using Demudi on one machine and Ubuntu (actually I moved to KDE) Hoary on another. The Demudi box for the most part worked out of the box. The hoary machine took a little massaging to get going, but seems to be working fine.

The only major change was that I built my own kernel based on the morph sources patches. Currently this is a 2.6.11 based kernel (the linux audio mailling lists have a lot info on kernels and patches that are suitable for audio production).

Brief summary of issues

modprobe snd-seq-oss

this was needed to get midi working. I just added snd-seq-oss to /etc/modules

realtime-lsm (handled in this thread)

I am also using the ubuntu backports as well as universe, multiverse and restricted. I have found that ubuntu does not tend to play nice with regular debian sources, and so I try to stay within the ubuntu world.

Cheers

Beans

oh... don't know if you've seen this thread ...

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=97453

also, posted a howto on using set_rtlimits... works with the default breezy kernel ( see post 18 ). realtime-lsm, it seems, is deprecated and probably more prone to problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karoliina
    Hi,

I just installed agnula/demudi stuff on my Ubuntu (Hoary). I haven't however tried
    to install the kernel patch yet. I installed some 2.6.12-multimedia -kernel
    in the belief that would be the solution, but apparently that wasn't - result
    was just lockup. I will propably try to patch some functioning kernel soon as
    with longer latencies, music making is not possible. I used to have the patch
    working on old Redhat 9, but after that I switched to Suse and the audio
    applications never really worked as they should and now I am trying things
    with Ubuntu. I haven't done music for a while because my audio recording
    computer haven't worked, however, I am feeling quite optimistic now...
    At least now the audio works and we got Hydrogen running
    successfully yesterday evening with the ST-Audio DSP-2000 C-port
    (jack etc. works).
    Hi!

And welcome to Ubuntu forums! It's always nice to see fellow Finns on Linux forums. Were you running 'planet CCRMA' audio software package on Redhat 9 before? It is indeed quite nicely "bundled", but unfortunately runs only on top of RH/FC.

However, hope is not lost. There has been discussion about starting a project to create something similar to Ubuntu Linux. Hopefully something will come out of it. It would certainly attract many musicians who are currently using Windows to create music.

I'm currently building my digital audio workstation on top of LFS (Linux From Scratch). It's because I never really found a totally satisfying audio distribution and I figured 'what the heck, I'll do it myself'. It's a lot of work, but I'm sure it will be very pleasing when it's done.

Good luck with trying to get the essential audio apps to work on Ubuntu! Please let me know if I can help you with something. I may not be able to help, but who knows, maybe I can.
    Coexist!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123