Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDE Distro

Beans

Re: KDE Distro -Pclinuxos2007test

For kde centric, my first recommendation to you would be pclinuxos when it goes final. I usually hate rpm-based distros, but this is the most capable and friendly kde based distro. Very very simple to use and everything just works.

Kubuntu is nice, but just plain and not as bleeding edge.
    SUse is not easily workable. It is a chore to manage and it is slower or bloated.
    Fedora 6 was believed to be fast as well for kde.

Mepis is one of the best kde centric distros.
    Sabayon is awesome, but the gentoo heritage may make it slightly challenging to manage. It is beautiful and fast once installed though.

VectorSoho is very fast. Alas only at xorg 6.9 so far. Still waiting. This has been fast for me in the past. I need Beryl though.

I did not like Mandrake or Suse. Fedora was seemingly beautiful to me and tempting look-wise, pclinuxos is to me the best put together rpm-based distro of the bunch. I may be wrong. For power users, partial to only rpm-based distro, Fedora 6 is the best option.

I prefer slack-based distros {Zenwalk}, then Debian-based ones {Ubuntu, Mepis, Sidux}, Sabayon, and pclinuxos.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: KDE Distro

you can cut down to just kde-core and still use ubuntu. aysiu has a way to do it through the cli - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde-core
    you may want to look through it first and not include things you want to keep (amarok, for example).

sabayon is a great version of kde, but i found installing packages to be a slow PIA compared to apt.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    you can cut down to just kde-core and still use ubuntu. aysiu has a way to do it through the cli - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde-core
    you may want to look through it first and not include things you want to keep (amarok, for example).

sabayon is a great version of kde, but i found installing packages to be a slow PIA compared to apt.
    I actually recommend using pure Kubuntu rather than ubuntu with kde-base. I had more problems with the combo than on pure Kubuntu for some reasons, more apps crashed, etc. I just think Kubuntu needs more support and testing. Use it for a few months and then compare it to some of the other KDE distros mentioned and it becomes clear.

Sabayon is great, but there should be a users warning with each recommendation because that distro, like Gentoo, is not newbie friendly. Sabayon makes having Gentoo a breeze, but unless you want to hop-skip and wait for upgrading via a new version upgrade, be prepared to REALLY understand Gentoo because it breaks easily otherwise. Any upgrading of a source-based distro takes more work and more know-how, so be the type of person who wants and does not mind getting dirty under the hood. Also, with Gentoo and upgrading, it is highly recommended to keep up with updates manually, because the farther you fall behind, the more easier it is for something to break.

This is a great piece written by a long-term Gentoo user for both server and desktop that explains what I said in greater detail;
    http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/11/21...not-to-gentoo/

Beans

I used Fedora Core 3 for a couple of months before, I'll give it another try and see how it works out. Thanks for the suggestions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qalimas View Post
    I used Fedora Core 3 for a couple of months before, I'll give it another try and see how it works out. Thanks for the suggestions
    I am using FC6, and it is leaps and bounds better than even FC5... highly recommended.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

PclinuxOS

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I'm now using Debian testing with kde...

Beans

I would throw a coin in for PClinux and Mepis, mainly Mepis as I have had good experiences with it until recently.
    its interface leaves a lot to be desired though, but once its configured it runs laps around kubuntu
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

well i find Kubuntu fast enough to my needs cant recommend other distro!
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy - Laptop: F-S Amilo M-1437 - Everything working (only the modem is not!)-
    Linux registered user # 438061 | Ubuntu registered user # 10651

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12