Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: xfce vs. gnome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: xfce vs. gnome

Quote Originally Posted by hizaguchi View Post
    Neither is really faster for me either. I prefer Gnome though because I think it looks nicer and I really like Nautilus. Plus, I've never found a really good icon theme for XFCE... not one that I like anyhow.
    Xfce will use the same icon themes as Gnome.
    "Help stop software piracy...use Linux. and FOSS!"
    What's better than whining on the forums? Making a difference!

Beans

xfce is much better, faster, less dependencies... And it could be even nicer, but it isn't imortant anyway

Beans

I always have been and probably always will be a gnome user, why?

1) I don't need my desktop to be configured for hours
    2) Gnome has never crashed on me, always found it stable, fast and reliable.
    3) When I have big college assignments to work on, I don't want to be navigating my DE to find things, I just want them running.

Allot of people dislike Gnome, but I love it.

Prefer it over KDE for the speed, prefer it over XFCE for usability.

If however I am on a programming assignment, Ill just run Openbox and 7 or 8 urxvt sessions.
    Changing your distro to get a diffrent WM / DE, is about as stupid as it gets.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I love xfce. I've started using it at work on older machines AMD 900's with 256MB RAM and older PIII laptops. It's fast, clean, configurable, and, for me, represents a perfect combination of minimalism and usability. So far it's been really stable.

Gnome on the other hand has been sluggish compared to xfce or kde on machines I installed. The boss wanted to test all three (even though the idea of DE's and WM's kind of confuses him).

The boss is a hardcore windows user this is some of his feedback on the xfce and gnome:
    1. Liked Ubuntu's default color scheme. He liked that it was different colors from Windows.
    2. Thought Gnome was sluggish in comparison to xfce and kde
    3. Didn't get the mouse thing in xfce.
    4. Likes the ease of configuratioin in xfce and it's interface.
    5. Likes the xfce panels.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hi guys,

i just wanted to say that xfce might be good if you would have time (and patience) to install all small things (app.'s, icons, etc.) you need...

However, after you installed all those things, you have again Gnome (or maybe KDE) on your computer : )

at least according to my own experiences...

(sorry for my eng.)
    Lenovo - Linux
    2009 MBP - El Capitan

Beans

well, not really. the difference is that unlike gnome i can still customize my xfce

I tried xfce for one day and instantly switched, it is pretty much exactly what I want from a DE. my only gripe is that it's not very well programmed. you can't notice it if you reboot often 8like every day or so), but both the menus and the desktop leak memory like there's no tomorrow. After 4 days or so they are both around 100 MB and desperately need to be killed.

This on both 4.4.0 and the one that originally shipped with xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by doobit View Post
    Xfce will use the same icon themes as Gnome.
    Is that new? I didn't think it would before. I still prefer Gnome's look (especially the panels), but that's nice for XFCE anyhow.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been very impressed with Xfce lately, 4.4 is a major improvement over 4.2, everything seems incredibly well thought out to me and the number of options for everything seems perfect.

I've got to have scrollable desktops and some of the features Xfwm provides that are lacking in Metacity and i'll take Thunar over Nautilus any day (though smb support would be nice one day, maybe.) I would also say Xfce is now more polished and consistent than Gnome overall. Of course, it's also faster.

Beans

I've been a GNOME user for the last couple of years and I just recently tried Xfce. It is snappier on older hardware, it looks pretty good plus I like the right click menus. So Xfce is now on my old laptop and I'll install Xubuntu over the previous version of Ubuntu on my parents machine next time I visit them.

Quote Originally Posted by zaratustra View Post
    xfce is much better, faster, less dependencies... And it could be even nicer, but it isn't imortant anyway
    Come on entertain us with your views and ideas for a nicer Xfce

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna-Fish View Post
    I tried xfce for one day and instantly switched, it is pretty much exactly what I want from a DE. my only gripe is that it's not very well programmed. you can't notice it if you reboot often (like every day or so), but both the menus and the desktop leak memory like there's no tomorrow. After 4 days or so they are both around 100 MB and desperately need to be killed.

This on both 4.4.0 and the one that originally shipped with xubuntu.
    Do you know if the Xfce devs are aware of this? They should be informed if they're not... Strange that such a large bug is not taken care of...
    Last edited by graabein; February 27th, 2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Link to Xfce bug list

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I prefer GNOME.
    Registered Linux User #438830 | Registered Ubuntu User #10897

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast