Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: xfce vs. gnome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: xfce vs. gnome

What an amazing difference a DE makes! I've become a fan of LXDE from the moment I started experimenting with it. It's even more lightweight than Xfce, the next fastest thing to having no DE at all. Yet it is beautiful and super-simple.

You can drag and drop applications and/or folders to the desktop from the file manager, or just use the menus. Wallpapers are easily changed (the default blue is pretty, but you can add them from any site and add them to usr/share/lxde/wallpapers).

LXDE flies along really fast and effortlessly on older hardware, too. And for looks, though they aren't related, I would say that LXDE could pass as KDE's pretty "little sister."

They're actually working on an official *buntu built on the LXDE environment. Look for "Lubuntu" in the next year or two.

-Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have used gnome for about 2 years. And tomorrow I am going to install Xubuntu. I hoped that I can get some answers from this thread, but its seems that it's all about taste. I hope I remember to post here that how I feel about the difference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, my love affair with LXDE is over. It's full of little bugs which, over time and across multiple distros, have just sort of ruined the fun for me.

It's certainly lightweight, but the trade off is an unrelenting series of constant minor aggravations. LXDE remains "under heavy development" which, to me, means that it's immature and changing too quickly for me to keep up with.

I've learned that LXDE takes the majority of its code from Xfce anyway - so I tend to conclude that when LXDE "grows up," it'll be a Xfce clone (they already look very much alike - there's very little difference between PCManFM and Thunar, for example).

So I'm playing with Xubuntu Karmic - my first foray into Xfce. And I must say, it rawks! No bugs!! Yay! And it's not noticably any slower than LXDE was on my machine. But definitely faster than Gnome was.

-Robin
    Last edited by XubuRoxMySox; November 8th, 2009 at 12:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

on my 256mb ram sistem gnome was very slow....but i instaled xfce and now i can run even 9 apps at a time without lagging
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

> I like nautilus better
    You can run nautilus in Xfce same way as any other app. It runs just fine. In fact you can run and enjoy ANY of your favorite GNOME apps. Both GNOME and Xfce use GTK2+ libraries for UI.

Also you don't need to install xubuntu as a separate OS. Simply run Synaptic in your Ubuntu and select xubuntu-desktop. Any time you log in you can choose to run either GNOME or Xfce session. It is that simlpe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I give Xfce a +1 for not requiring Evolution.

This way I can pick my choice (e.g. Thunderbird) and not have to have Evolution taking up space.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedancer View Post
    Well, my love affair with LXDE is over. It's full of little bugs which, over time and across multiple distros, have just sort of ruined the fun for me.

It's certainly lightweight, but the trade off is an unrelenting series of constant minor aggravations. LXDE remains "under heavy development" which, to me, means that it's immature and changing too quickly for me to keep up with.
    I also found LXDE to be quite buggy. Going from Gnome or KDE to Xfce, you will not lose too much in terms of features and customization (and gain a couple things). Going to LXDE, however, would be quite painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I give Xfce a +1 for not requiring Evolution.

This way I can pick my choice (e.g. Thunderbird) and not have to have Evolution taking up space.
    Yeah Xfce sticks much better to the Unix concept of modularity.

It used to be that Gnome was focused on making a simple, easy to use desktop. With the developments of Gnome 3, along with a few other changes in the Gnome world, I really don't know what their focus is any more. Xfce seems to be the only big desktop that isn't trying to give us some kind of crazy new desktop metaphor that nobody asked for .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    It used to be that Gnome was focused on making a simple, easy to use desktop. With the developments of Gnome 3, along with a few other changes in the Gnome world, I really don't know what their focus is any more. Xfce seems to be the only big desktop that isn't trying to give us some kind of crazy new desktop metaphor that nobody asked for .
    Yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Yet.
    Ha ha yeah, maybe Xfce 5 will attempt to revolutionize the way in which we use our computers. I don't know what I'd use then!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Ha ha yeah, maybe Xfce 5 will attempt to revolutionize the way in which we use our computers. I don't know what I'd use then!
    Chances are CLI won't change much in the near future.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast