Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 114

Thread: xfce vs. gnome

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    /Huntington/Indiana/USA
    Beans
    138

    Re: xfce vs. gnome

    It really REALLY depends on your hardware.

    If you have gobs of RAM and one of these new dual core 64-bit processors and a beefy video card, nothing you throw at it will put much of a dent in performance.

    Xubuntu would be noticeably faster on systems with 512 megs of RAM or less and a 1-2 Ghz processor.


    I'm dual booting Windows 98 SE and Xubuntu on an old HP system I hacked together out of spare parts.

    550 Mhz AMD K6-2
    320 megs of RAM
    40 gig hard disk

    I also managed to scrap up a Geforce 5200 PCI video card.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon U.S.A.
    Beans
    1,050
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: xfce vs. gnome

    After using both in Dapper, in the end I like Gnome better. Little things, like the ability to change panel colors, and neat-o scroll bars make all the difference to me.

    Of course, on my little imac g3, Xfce is the bomb. People who don't think there's any kind of speed difference between the two may be using Gnome applications in Xfce. In which case, no, there would be no significant speed increase. It's the combination of Xfce and GTK apps where the benefits become real apparent.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    French Alps
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: xfce vs. gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by izanbardprince View Post
    It really REALLY depends on your hardware.

    If you have gobs of RAM and one of these new dual core 64-bit processors and a beefy video card, nothing you throw at it will put much of a dent in performance.

    Xubuntu would be noticeably faster on systems with 512 megs of RAM or less and a 1-2 Ghz processor.


    I'm dual booting Windows 98 SE and Xubuntu on an old HP system I hacked together out of spare parts.

    550 Mhz AMD K6-2
    320 megs of RAM
    40 gig hard disk

    I also managed to scrap up a Geforce 5200 PCI video card.
    Hum, you're sure about the 550MHz? I thought that the K6-2 maxed out at 450MHz...
    Anyway, one small note: check the maximum amount of cacheable memory on that motherboard, because if it is 256MB (quite usual in those days...) you're probably better off with only 256MB!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ice cold Norway
    Beans
    517

    Re: xfce vs. gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    People who don't think there's any kind of speed difference between the two may be using Gnome applications in Xfce. In which case, no, there would be no significant speed increase. It's the combination of Xfce and GTK apps where the benefits become real apparent.
    This might sound stupid but I'll risk it -- how does one see which apps are GNOME or not?

    Another thing -- I just marked changes in Synaptic and went ahead and updated and it looks like it's installing lots of GNOME stuff even though I don't have gnome-desktop at all, just Xfce that came with Xubuntu... Hope it cleans up after itself and don't install unnecessary GNOME stuff because I'm strapped for disk space on this old heap of junk (90's laptop).

    Anyone got links to stripping packages and freeing up disk space btw?
    Last edited by graabein; February 27th, 2007 at 11:37 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon U.S.A.
    Beans
    1,050
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: xfce vs. gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    This might sound stupid but I'll risk it -- how does one see which apps are GNOME or not?

    Another thing -- I just marked changes in Synaptic and went ahead and updated and it looks like it's installing lots of GNOME stuff even though I don't have gnome-desktop at all, just Xfce that came with Xubuntu... Hope it cleans up after itself and don't install unnecessary GNOME stuff because I'm strapped for disk space on this old heap of junk (90's laptop).

    Anyone got links to stripping packages and freeing up disk space btw?
    Nothing stupid about that. I think I've been doing this long enough to take sooper nerdy things for granted.

    I'm not sure of a good way to find gtk apps. I thought there was a thread or two with lists of applications, but I'll be damned if I can find them now. What I generally do, when I need an app, is search for said app in Synaptic, then look for a gtk version.

    For example, Thunderbird was way slow on my Xubuntu box, so I searched Synaptic for 'email', or something close, and found sylpheed-claws-gtk2. I tried it and it totally rocks. In other words, I look for a mention of gtk in either the name or description. Just remember, as a general rule, to always choose gtk2 over gtk if there's an option.

    As far as getting rid of all your Gnome bits, try this link. It might be just what you're looking for.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: xfce vs. gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    This might sound stupid but I'll risk it -- how does one see which apps are GNOME or not?

    Another thing -- I just marked changes in Synaptic and went ahead and updated and it looks like it's installing lots of GNOME stuff even though I don't have gnome-desktop at all, just Xfce that came with Xubuntu... Hope it cleans up after itself and don't install unnecessary GNOME stuff because I'm strapped for disk space on this old heap of junk (90's laptop).

    Anyone got links to stripping packages and freeing up disk space btw?
    The fact that they are sucking in a bunch of Gnome dependencies basically makes them Gnome apps. Just look through the packages' dependencies and see if they need Gnome libraries to run. Before installing, preferably.

    You can uninstall Gnome apps and the dependencies that came with them just fine though.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southwest Missouri
    Beans
    217
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: xfce vs. gnome

    I prefer Gnome over XFCE since it is supported much better by Ubuntu (try getting XFCE specific help on these forums).

    Also, I like brown better than blue. I know it is customizable, but I am not into theming.

    I am using XFCE 4.4 in Fiesty on a P4 computer, and I must say that it is really nice and noticeably faster than Gnome in Edgy. I think it is a big improvement over 4.2.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Beans
    919

    Re: xfce vs. gnome

    I've recently switched to XFCE because even though I have a gig of ram, it has a more snappier feel to it.

    The lack of desktop icons I can live without, but the thing I dislike about it is the menu editor. The Alacarte menu editor for gnome is much better than the wimpy thing provided with xfce.

    I love thunar because it's just what a file manager should be, a file manger. Much snappier than nautilus or konqueror.

    Gnome still comes at a close second.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ice cold Norway
    Beans
    517

    Arrow Re: xfce vs. gnome

    Thanks for the replies DirtDawg and manmower. I'll take a look at that link when I get home from work.

    I also found a nice page on the Xubuntu wiki for Gtk programs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/ProposedPackages

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon U.S.A.
    Beans
    1,050
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: xfce vs. gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    Thanks for the replies DirtDawg and manmower. I'll take a look at that link when I get home from work.

    I also found a nice page on the Xubuntu wiki for Gtk programs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/ProposedPackages
    Oh, great link! Thanks for that.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •