Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: xfce vs. gnome

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: xfce vs. gnome

XFCE is making rapid improvements lately. I'm definitely giving it a shot once Feisty is stable in April.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    i'm a big fan of scrollable desktops and right-click menus, so that gives an advantage to xfce.
    ^This. Desktop menu's rule. Which is why I Like fluxbox
    My Site: theshadowaspect.com
    Anyone who uses phrases like Winblows, or M$, or Microsucks, etc. are not doing the Linux world any favors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    4. Likes the ease of configuratioin in xfce and it's interface.
    This is probably my *only* criticism of Xfce, I love how in gnome you can just drag an app from the menu to a panel to get a shortcut to that, wheras in Xfce you have to create the shortcut manually, giving it the path, the path to the icon etc etc.

If anyone knows of an app or something that I've missed that gives you greater drag and drop in Xfce that would be awesome
    Anyone who uses phrases like Winblows, or M$, or Microsucks, etc. are not doing the Linux world any favors.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use AppFinder and the add a launcher dialog. You can drag from AppFinder to the launcher (if it's in the AppFinder).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    I use AppFinder and the add a launcher dialog. You can drag from AppFinder to the launcher (if it's in the AppFinder).
    Thanks, I'll give that a go

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by shrimphead View Post
    This is probably my *only* criticism of Xfce, I love how in gnome you can just drag an app from the menu to a panel to get a shortcut to that, wheras in Xfce you have to create the shortcut manually, giving it the path, the path to the icon etc etc.

If anyone knows of an app or something that I've missed that gives you greater drag and drop in Xfce that would be awesome
    There are people who are using Engage in Xfce. I haven't tried it yet though.

http://www.enlightenment.org/Applications/Engage/
    "Help stop software piracy...use Linux. and FOSS!"
    What's better than whining on the forums? Making a difference!

Beans

XFCE is pretty nice, but it lacks the "sleekness" you can get in gnome and in KDE, plus I have always had issues with screensavers in it
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They are both good but I feel like Xfce is a little more responsive on my 500MHz machine though I haven't gotten the transparency working right.

One setup I keep going back to is panel-less. I bind the Main Menu key to the windows key on my keyboard and the desktop list menu to my list key on the keyboard and remove all of the panels from the screen. Sometimes I would only have the 'lil icon box to pop-up when programs are opened.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've tried XFCE a few different times on my PII 400 Mhz computer, and I really don't see a difference in response time between Gnome or XFCE (lol both slow, but usable) I also found I was frustrated trying to customize the taskbars, and I also never have found a theme I've liked for it.

I keep trying it out from time to time just to keep on getting used to it, but I find I keep going back to Gnome or IceWM. (and even Enlightenment from time to time)
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Hidden!

Xfce and Gnome are on par IMHO.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast