Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't get the point of Ubuntu

Beans

I don't get the point of Ubuntu

Hello everyone,

as the title of this post says, I don't get the point of Ubuntu. Let me explain.

I just tried Ubuntu on my computer because I really like the philosophy of Linux in general and Ubuntu looks so good. I sometimes get tired of Windows and I won't ever use Mac OS since I believe it is just plain bad.

But the problem is that I don't get WHY I should use Ubuntu over Windows. I don't get the feeling that I'm using something more powerful or productive than Windows. It's certainly not less powerful or productive, but not more it seems. And we all know how, whether you like it or not, Windows has this ''it just works'' philosophy, I mean, you rarely run into hardware or software trouble with Windows. I feel somewhat crippled in Ubuntu because it looks to ME that I don't have all the tools that I have in Windows.

And it looks as if Ubuntu was just there for people that want to look different or for developers, but I don't really want to believe that. I try to tell myself that there must something advantageous in there, but I don't see it.

And believe me, I am really not a Windows fanboy. I believe too in open source software, and diversity. I really WANT to get into Linux for that reason, but just by trying it for an hour or so, clicking on everything to see what it does and how it works, I don't see the advantage of using it. But I LOVE the concept of Linux, believe me.

I am currently studying physics engineering in university and I pass all my time on my computer since all my notes, homeworks and information is on the Internet or in documents. And I believe Windows isn't really good at being productive when you pass all your time on your computer like I do. I heard Linux was more productive but I just CAN'T see why.

Now you guys know where I come from and where I'm going. I'm a science student (my program is more about physics and mathematics than engineering btw) and a complete power user. I tend to multitask a lot and click everywhere quickly and I just can't be (and don't want to be) slowed while working on my things because I get frustrated in the long run (not like banging in the wall lol, but just disappointed a lot).

So my question: is it possible to use Ubuntu as if it was your primary OS and actually be productive with it? Is there anyone who is in a similar situation that can tell me WHY Linux was clearly giving them an advantage over Windows or Mac OS? Are there advantages for a student like me who doesn't have to share a computer with others but isn't a developer either?

Arguments about the way the UI works or the file structure or the applications would be very appreciated. It could convince me that it is possible to power-use this thing and actually be MORE productive.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: I don't get the point of Ubuntu

Not a Ubuntu Testimonials & Experiences moved to Recurring Discussions

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The biggest aid to productivity is how the user manages his or her time, regardless of which OS they are using. There are people using Windows who are more productive in a day than those using Ubuntu and the same is true in reverse also.
    Every operating system has good points and bad points, every user is different and has different ways of using their computer , even if it is to achieve the same end result.
    The secret is to find an operating system that you are comfortable with and find ways of utilising it to its full potential in order to increase or maintain your productivity.
    You will hear many different voices in response to a question like this , but at the bottom of it all is the user.
    If a user is focused on their goal and has spent some time researching how to get the best out of their operating system, then they will be productive. If on the other hand the user expects that just by using a particular operating system, they will suddenly become more efficient and productive then they are very much mistaken.
    I choose to use only Linux based operating systems , that is because I have found that they are capable of doing eveything that I need to do.
    I have also learned that there are often many ways to achieve a particular result and have tried a few in order to find the one which works best for me, not the one which someone else tells me is the "correct" way to do it.
    Choose whatever OS you feel comfortable with, focus on what you want to achieve and look at your working practices and alter them for maximum efficiency, regardless of which OS is running in front of you.

Beans
    Distro

Here are some ways in which I believe Ubuntu saves me time:

1. If I have 2000 software packages installed on my computer, Ubuntu will automatically send me updates for all my installed packages, not just the OS as Windows does.

2. I will never have to spend time recovering from a virus or worrying about which web sites are safe to surf. I can also open emails without worrying about being infected.

3. I do not have to spend time updating my virus definitions package every so often. I used "Microsoft Windows Essentials" on my Windows 7 machine and it still got infected. I don't have to wonder in Ubuntu if I am using the correct virus protection package.
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@bonjour2,

Stick to what works for you. End of.

Beans

Thanks pbpersson. That's the kind of answer I'm looking for.

I understand it's important to just work with what works for you, but I'd like to know why it works for you. That way I could find out if it could work for me too.

There must be some reasons why you decide to stay with Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bonjour2 View Post

There must be some reasons why you decide to stay with Linux.
    Simply because it does everything I need. And its free.

Give it a test drive. That's the only way to find out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

this is probably the most accurate answer i can give
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Simply because it does everything I need. And its free.
    Money is a big factor. If I can do everything I need to do with Linux, why spend any money supporting Microsoft or Apple? Not only is Linux free, but I can run Linux on a cheap, used, low-spec machine. To me, that's huge.

Beans
    Distro

And I have to agree with Basher101 -- because it's fun!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast