View Poll Results: Mac or Windows, which do you prefer?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apple Mac OS

146 66.97%
  • Microsoft Windows OS

72 33.03%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac or Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Mac or Windows?

Hi there,

Which, of Mac and Windows is the lesser of two evils, would you say? Which interface would you choose to use if Linux was not an option. For example, if your boss was to say "We need a complete new line of computers, and they need to run PieceOfSoftware, which is available for Mac and Windows only, Linux is no longer an option" what would you choose?

I'm just interested in seeing what other Linux users prefer out of the two leading desktops.

Personally I'd choose Mac. I just love the interface and the build of their systems. Plus iLife is quite a nice package, just altogether nicer than Windows. What do you think? Vote in the poll.

- Matt

Beans

Re: Mac or Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pink View Post
    Which, of Mac and Windows is the lesser of two evils, would you say?
    Neither is "evil", they are both great at what they do.

Which interface would you choose to use if Linux was not an option.
    Depends on the task. Right now if I need to create a big and complex website I would opt for Windows 2003 Server hands down over anything else simply because I have lots of experience with it. But if I were building a cheap little PC for home desktop use I'd go for Ubuntu or Debian over Vista hands down for costs reasons.

For example, if your boss was to say "We need a complete new line of computers, and they need to run PieceOfSoftware, which is available for Mac and Windows only, Linux is no longer an option" what would you choose?
    Considering what we do Windows is the only sensible choice for the developers. The graphics designer could do with a Mac. And the rest of the staff could probably pick and choose from anything that runs a web browser and an office suit.

I'm just interested in seeing what other Linux users prefer out of the two leading desktops.
    Once again it depends entirely on the task at hand, as an ASP.NET developer Windows makes perfect sense for me. Whereas a graphic designer, amateur photographer or musician might prefer a Mac.

I think the best option is to keep your options open, right now I am Linux less due to a recent house move... I am missing it SO much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by cunawarit; February 21st, 2007 at 01:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

windows.
    mac is far to expensive and you can't play games.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Both suck huge monkey balls (in fact every single OS out there is complete and utter crap) but I would go for OS X before Windows especially now that Vista is out simply because it's a better OS.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by TheWizzard View Post
    windows.
    mac is far to expensive and you can't play games.
    Games don't appeal to me, at all. Waste of time, and money is not an issue.

If you were in my situation, would it still be Windows?

Beans

Mac by far, I almost went mac many times if it wasnt for money issues, but in the long run if I could not get linux I would head to a mac.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Originally posted by prizrak
    Both suck huge monkey balls (in fact every single OS out there is complete and utter crap) but I would go for OS X before Windows especially now that Vista is out simply because it's a better OS.
    I feel the same way, and it sucks. I just bought all the parts for a nice Core 2 Duo machine, and now have to choose which OS to put on it.

I feel like I just balanced and tuned a Honda engine and now must choose which 50s era GM 2 speed hydraglide transmission to hook onto it.
    Last edited by Yossarian; February 21st, 2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: phrasing
    - Captain John Yossarian

Speak frankly, speak in French.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I picked Windows because their GUI makes sense and the mice have 2 buttons. I hate the Mac UI. The menus don't stay attached to the windows! Stupid stupid stupid! And confusing! I'm assuming the program in question uses a GUI, and for the sake of my sanity, those menus better be in the right place like on Windows. The only way I can use a Mac and NOT be confused is if I just use bash. I thought about getting a Mac before, but the single-button mouse is too annoying. Too bad there's no way to "kill X" on a Mac. I'd rather be in a VT by default than have to hunt around trying to find the darn "terminal" option
    Last edited by macogw; February 21st, 2007 at 08:55 PM.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pink View Post
    Games don't appeal to me, at all. Waste of time, and money is not an issue.

If you were in my situation, would it still be Windows?
    i'd probably choose the cheapest. besides, i really hate the itunes interface (still using it for my ipod), i think this one-mouse-button is insane, and i don't like the dictator-like way steve jobs decides what i can do on my computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I feel the same way, and it sucks. I just bought all the parts for a nice Core 2 Duo machine, and now have to choose which OS to put on it.

I feel like I just balanced and tuned a Honda engine and now must choose which 50s era GM 2 speed hydraglide transmission to hook onto it.
    LOL, you should change Honda to Toyota or Nissan, Honda engines while pretty advance tend to lack in power compared to the other two. (RB26DETT for the win!!!)
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast