View Poll Results: Mac or Windows, which do you prefer?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apple Mac OS

146 66.97%
  • Microsoft Windows OS

72 33.03%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac or Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Mac or Windows?

As a user of all three OSes, I would have to say Mac OS X is a great thing. Albeit the (fast) hardware is expensive, you must bear in mind that the software and hardware are both supported by the same people and therefore is designed for that particular hardware, lessening the chances of compatibility problems. I haven't dove into the CLI of OS X, but I like the GUI (though admittedly the separate menu bar took some getting used to; now that I get it though, it isn't a bad idea). I view OS X as idiot-proof Linux since it is extremely basic to do the average tasks and there are a lot less vulnerabilities compared to Windows (and, of course, it's UNIX based).
    Now for Windows, I like the fact that it supports just about every piece of software out there, runs games like a champ, and can be installed on almost any hardware of your choice, but it's virus/spyware/trojan vulnerabilities are a bit of a turn off. That and you can't customize the graphical interface to much without using something like window blinds (which a few of my friends have used and its use resulted in reformatting their comps). I also don't like the need for disk defragmentation and the registry aspects of it, especially when on OS X you just need to run disk utility every so often (takes 10 seconds on a macbook pro ) and ubuntu does a automatic disk check every 30 boots.
    To be honest, I think having all three is an awesome thing though. I have OS X for doing all of my music and video stuff (and yes, even some nice open source games), Windows for games and some stuff like Sibelius that I only had a Win installer for, and Ubuntu for everything the others can't and for daily use; on my desktop, I use it about 85% of the time. If I had to choose one though, I think i could do all of the above on OS X without any fuss, but I really like Linux too much to give it up (especially since I also have a few of older comps that range from 200-700mhz that run it great). Just my two cents
    Windows: an accessory or a distant memory on my machines!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Since money is not an issue windows vista is a much better choice just because it supports tons of software.
    Last edited by crimsontide; February 22nd, 2007 at 08:32 PM.
    Linux User # 406082 Ubuntu User # 13207

The Ubuntu Magazine http://www.fullcirclemagazine.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I prefer Mac OS (10) to Windows (Vista.)
    Registered Linux User #438830 | Registered Ubuntu User #10897

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by voided3 View Post
    To be honest, I think having all three is an awesome thing though. I have OS X for doing all of my music and video stuff (and yes, even some nice open source games), Windows for games and some stuff like Sibelius that I only had a Win installer for, and Ubuntu for everything the others can't and for daily use; on my desktop, I use it about 85% of the time. If I had to choose one though, I think i could do all of the above on OS X without any fuss, but I really like Linux too much to give it up (especially since I also have a few of older comps that range from 200-700mhz that run it great). Just my two cents
    *bravo!!!!*

I do like it when people think objectively and don't get carried away with fanaticism.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'd say a 1.83Ghz, 512MB (for example) Mac setup, would run faster than a 1.83Ghz, 512MB XP setup (and a 1.83Ghz, 512MB Vista setup, but that goes without saying!)

Interesting results, 75% Mac.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

as a *nix enthusiast, i have to say mac's os x. windows should (and eventually will) be obsolete - microsoft's savvy business deals are all that keep it alive (and it's the only reason they're even at the top). unix-based OSs are the most efficient to date, so i foresee the mac steadily rising and windows (gradually) fading out... wait, was that a foresight or a hope?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pink View Post
    I'd say a 1.83Ghz, 512MB (for example) Mac setup, would run faster than a 1.83Ghz, 512MB XP setup (and a 1.83Ghz, 512MB Vista setup, but that goes without saying!)

Interesting results, 75% Mac.
    This is a Linux forum so most people dislike Windows but don't mind the Mac it also helps that it's UNIX based.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I work for Apple, use Linux and I'm doing my MCSA....I dual boot windows and fedora 6 on a desktop have an ubuntu web server and an ubuntu laptop, if I were to choose any of the OS's I'd definitely choose Mac, windows BSOD constant security issues and spyware is just a total pain in the ***. Macs have less exploits available and more levels of security. check out Metasploit framework for instance or Milworm website etc etc, most are targeted towards windows boxes, windows preferences are another chaff in the ***, atleast with Macs you can remove a few preference files or reset SMC or PRAM and the problems over. I agree with other comments about the price, its way over priced, top end machines price up to 14,000 ( my girlfriend said i like the word *** but i skipped school alot so my english is of a sub standard.

From all the operating systems I'd go for Linux (not the question!!!)

BASH over DOS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontide View Post
    Since money is not an issue windows vista is a much better choice just because it supports tons of software.
    Vista does not support any software, software is made for it.

Beans

anyone who says windows knows nothing about MAC.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast