Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution is a rubbish email client

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Evolution is a rubbish email client

Sorry, this may not be very constructive, but I have to get this off my chest: I think evolution is a stone-age Email client. I am actually a KDE user but since using ububtu I decided to give gnome a try and was very impressed, until I migrated all my mail to evolution. I did this becaue I wanted a PIM solution that will allow me to sync with a mobile at some stage in the future.

Anyway, swicthing from KMail to Evolution really is taking several large steps backwards. Here's why:

a) Evolution is slow. There is a 3 second pause on my computer between clicking "New Mail" and the window appearing. This is not the case when the same machine is using KMail or Outlook.

b) There is no *simple* way of changing the date format (mm/dd/yy -> dd/mm/yy which europeans prefer). I believe it can be done via shell variables, but come on, Evo is supposed to be a proper GUI application.

c) There is no sensible simple mail notification. There is a "beep" option which is inaudible and some other useless / highly complex hacks. In Kmail you can specify whether new mail triggers a notification *per folder*, all via the GUI and without obscure shell scripts.

d) The junk mail filter is crap. I trained it on a folder of 1000 spams but still it doesn't seem to recognise half of them. And I have "external check" enabled. KMail uses external spam filters in a transparent way.

e) Spell checking: almost all modern spell-checking applications offer suggestions in a context menu when opened over a misspelt word. In Evo you have to open an extra window.

f) New Junk is not marked as unread. This would be nice so that you know what junk you've checked for false positives and which you haven't.

g) Sending a mail twice takes a whole load of inelegant cutting and pasting. See KMail for the elegant solution.

i) There is no way to automatically fetch mail immediately after startup. See KMail and Outlook.

j) You HAVE to specify a mail server in the Evo startup wizard. There is no way of getting around this. Very annoying.

k) The calenders feature is not too hot either. I only ever use the whole-month-view and when I scroll through the months it takes ages. Outlook was 10 times more responsive. And the default colour scheme means that looking for today's date is a real eye strainer.

These are just my views on evolution. I had always heard that it was such an excellent PIM suite and am dissapointed that it simply doesn't live up to the hype. Presumably there will be enough opposing views. I just thought I'de give my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Evolution is a rubbish email client

Thanks for sharing. I feel lucky for never having touched the program.
    I'm happily using thunderbird and it does perfectly what I want from it. It sends and receives my email swiftly and I do not wish for anything else.

Beans

Agreed. Thunderbird as default, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    Agreed. Thunderbird as default, anyone?
    Yes, here the same.
    Every time I install an Ubuntu box the first thing I do is to remove Evolution.
    -------------------------------------
    Ubuntu in Spanish is Ubuñtu!
    Running Aspire 9814 AMD64 & Extensa 5620

Beans

a) on my computer it takes only 2 seconds (A64 3000+ 512MB ram)
    b) do you have localization installed? I get dd/mm/yy format without any setup
    c) agree
    d) agree
    e) agree
    f) agree
    g) agree
    h) agree
    i) agree
    j) agree
    k) agree

The question is: Why i am still using it?

Beans

I agree .. I used Evolution till I was forced to use Thunderbird, and haven't used Evolution since. Actually, now I use Opera for browing as well as email client .. once you get used to Opera its really hard to go back to something else.

Beans

Well, I sorta agree but most of your list are not biggies to me.

Evolution is pretty slow, but so is Outlook. Both are full-featured PIMs.

Thunderbird does not have a calendar or to do list.

Evolution syncs very nicely with my Sony Clie.

Mail-Notification is a little program you can download and install to flash a message about emails. It works well for me.

How does everyone feel about the Mozilla Suite as an alternative to Firefox and Evolution??

Beans

Evolution is more fully featured than thunderbird (in an outlook kind of way)... But if you just want an email program then evolution is not needed as suggested just use kmail (if KDE user) or use thunderbird....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well, I'm relieved to see that people generally agree. However what are the alernatives in Gnome if you want to do more than just email -- i.e. manage contacts and calendar info too?

Beans

I like Evolution because I need calendar, tasks, and contacts. I can't imagine not having a robust PIM capable of groupware stuff.

It does need improvement though. A few biggies off the top of my head:
    • Color-coded calendar items
    • Better mass import/export capabilities and compatibility w/ other PIMs. This should be true for all emails, contacts, tasks, and especially calendar.
    • May be asking a bit much, but the task list would be awesome if it were wiki-style like tomboy (and of course, still be able to contain attachments to emails, calendar appointments, files, etc.)
    • More greediness: tight integration with a Poject Management app like Imiendo Planner
    • More customizable views (I really like Outlook 2003's view of 3 vertical panes--good use of widescreen displays)
    • More powerful vFolders, e.g. while reading a message, just drag a vFolder onto it to "tag" it a la gmail or adobe photoshop album
    • Drag-and-drop everything!

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast