Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Diablo 2 + LoD Tutorial

Beans

Re: Diablo 2 + LoD Tutorial

I posted this in a new thread, but I will post here in hopes one of you ubuntu-diablo masters can help.

I have D2 and LOD installed and running great on wine. I copied over the mpq files from the lod cd, full installs and use the loader as posted above.

When im in the expansion chapter, there is no music or voices in town, like for reading about the quest and stuff. Is there any way i can get the music and vices to work in the expansion? It works fine in the rest of the game.

Thanks

Beans

Hi,

I am sorta new to Linux, I have Ubuntu and have been messing around a bit to try understanding the basics. I want to try installing Diablo 2 inwhich I have looked at a few of the guides which tell my that i need wine (got it), and set the winecfg (which I did).
    I can get up to the point that the progress bar says to insert the play disc, and yet when I "wine eject" and insert the play disc it doesn't read it and won't go on loading. Any help?

Beans

Hey guys!

OMG Seph is posting his 2nd ONLY post! =P

Anyway, i figured out a little trick to help u guys out with some installation problems. Please not that this will most likely not solve ALL installation problems but its woth posting.

My delema was that during the LOD installation, It will ask me for the "Play" CD, fair enough, i would insert the second disc, then let ubuntu do whatever the hell id does when u insert a new CD (mounting presumibly) then click ok, window pops up again, ok......OK.....OK! damn it! >_<...etc etc.

Well after experimenting with multiple ways of insatlling this, i found that the way that helped with no errors is installing the program WITHOUT using "wine eject". Now ur all probably wondering "How can u insert the next disc without using wine eject?", yes true ubuntu doesnt like mounted media being removed while its it use. (that really annoying "device is busy" message comes to mind) To overcome this, its simple:

Replace
    Code:
    cd /media/cdrom (or /mnt/cdrom or whereever the cd mount point is)
    wine setup.exe
    With

Code:
    wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe
    The reason y u cant eject the cd while the installation is running is becase the terminal you are using is in turn using the CD, the terminals directory is in the cd drive. By doing it this way you avoid makeing the terminal go to the mount point. and because u use wine setup.exe, while wine is running the terminal is unuseable. Using this method, u can still use the terminal with wine running (even though wine debug messages are still going to be displayed in it) and the cd mount point is free.

Putting it slimply, use wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe so u can eject the cd by pushing the cd button, instead of using "wine eject" all the time which can mess up the installation.

I never got any problems using this method, hope it helps guys.

phew, now i can give my hands a break.....

Beans

Whee!, got it working!

I got stuck for a bit thanks to the invisible Insert CD dialogs during the install, but once I read some of the previous posts, I figured it out.

One thing I noticed is that it has a hard time dealing with my display. I'm running on my Asus A8Js, which has a 1440x900 LCD display. It does scale it down to 800x600 or 640x480 (I have those modes set up in my xorg.conf) but the bottom of the screen seems to be cut off. It may be a glitch with the hardware resolution scaling, and maybe I can get it to switch graphics modes so it isn't a problem.

Also, you don't have to use the no-cd cracks. It will run straight perfectly well if you're willing to put your precious Diablo II CD in the drive and mount it as you play. That might save you from getting banned on bnet. I was surprised to see WINE correctly handle the copy protection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have a problem with scaling too- wine redraws the sceen to 800x600, then something else (maybe X) redraws it to my present resolution (1280x800) so D2 is in a (relatively) dinky window in the corner. Any ideas?

Beans

Not sure. I resolved my problems by switching in-game to 800x600, which my system scales just fine (though the aspect ratio's wrong because my laptop uses a widescreen, and the image is stretched all the way to the edges.) I guess the 640x480 is the only mode that gets scaled wrong and cuts off the bottom of the screen.

Beans

I'm having trouble with playing. Allow me to elaborate. It wont let me go into single player mode, it shuts down. Also, when i sign into my d2 account, it loads, and blinks, then shuts down. I have yet to see a diablo2 character in wine. I think it might have something to do with the characters but i'm unsure. Can you help me out dude?

Beans

I was having trouble installing so here is what I did. I made an ISO image of each disk and placed it in my home directory (this is done using the virtual desktop in winecfg).
    I then proceeded to run the following command from my home directory
    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 INSTALL.iso /media/cdrom1
    wine /media/cdrom1/INSTALL.exe &
    Whenever it asked me to insert a disk I would run each of these respectively.
    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 PLAYDISC.iso /media/cdrom1
    sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 CINEMATICS.iso /media/cdrom1
    To "unmount" all the ISO's that you "mounted" run the following command until all "drives" are unmounted.
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/cdrom1/ -l
    I will update this once I install LoD, otherwise assume the same thing.

In the end i ran this...

Code:
    sudo losetup -d /dev/loop1

sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 CINEMATICS.iso /media/cdrom1

sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 Expansion.iso /media/cdrom1

sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 Expansion.iso /media/cdrom1
    Then to play LoD you can make a script from the above commands to mount it from the ISO for wine, then remove it when you are done.
    Last edited by sb_; June 26th, 2007 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

Does anyone know how to make D2Loader-1.11b.exe work when running the game using Cedega? I have changed the Cedega main window shortcut so it should run it instead os the Diablo II.exe program, but when i try to run it, it just hangs.... any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: [HOWTO] Diablo 2 + LoD - UPDATED

Quote Originally Posted by cb951303 View Post
    Problem 1: A very common problem here is that the progress window blocks the CD swap dialog so you think that it doesn't install anything. A quick fix is to selecet "Emulate a virtual desktop" from winecfg.
    Another fix that worked for me, is simply dragging the main installation window out of the center screen. The CD swap dialog will then be displayed properly.

I've been playing Diablo 2 LOD successfully for about 2 weeks now. Crashed only once in about 40 hours of playing time, and died 4 times in hardcore because of machine-lag.

About this machine-lag: I get really, REALLY poor performance in large parties and mobs. My framerate often drops from 80+ to ~10. When I go to Tyrael after I killed Duriel, I get ~1 fps (yes, ONE fps). This machine lag is really sucky because it prevents me to successfully participate in a party.

Any performance suggestions?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast