Page 33 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Hardware Incompatibility List.

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Re: Desktop Hardware Incompatibility List.

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateVoid View Post
    ASUS
    Laptop
    ASUS X83Vm-X1
    Incompatible DVD drive, intermittent failures to boot up and shutdown
    Can you report laptops here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RealG187 View Post
    Can you report laptops here?
    Given this thread is in the Hardware & Laptops forum, I'm sure that would be fine.

At the end of the day, incompatible hardware is exactly what it says, and a more comprehensive list would be better.

Beans

Dear All,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN TX-26GP.
    Intel Pentium M Processor ULV 733 (1.10Ghz)
    1 GB DDR2; Bluetooth; Wireless Lan.

My Problems:

1) Unable to operate the DVD/Cd Rom.

2) Unable to use Skype for video conferencing.(I guess the sound and video's drivers are in place.)

I'm not a technical guy for this so is there anyone out there can help ?

Very urgent~! Thank You

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    Given this thread is in the Hardware & Laptops forum, I'm sure that would be fine.

At the end of the day, incompatible hardware is exactly what it says, and a more comprehensive list would be better.
    Okay I was confused, the thread title says desktop, and by that I thought it meant "tower" computers, as in not laptops.

However, I learned that it meant desktop as in not server. As in any normal computer that uses the "Desktop Install" of Ubuntu, by desktop install it means not server.

So Desktop PCs and Laptops may be posted here as long as they aren't servers.

In that case I have something to report.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766529&page=19
    Okay my AtherOS AR5007 didn't work in Ubuntu. I got it working by taking this tar file, extracting it. Then changing to the extracted folder and typing:

Code:
    make
    sudo make install
    modprobe ath_pci
    then restarting.

This was on 8.04 and 8.10.

By reporting this, is it possible that in 9.04 the AR5007 will work out of the box, like could they implement the driver I posted so it just works?

Beans

1)Type Of Hardware : Mercury 141 Key Keyboard +scroll-wheel
    2)Hardware Maker :
    Mercury
    3)Hardware Model :
    Unknown
    4)Known Issue :
    Only the standard 101 keys function
    5) OS :
    Ubuntu 8.10
    I have been unable to find ANY Linux drivers for this keyboard.

Beans

My laptop is NEC E6500.
    Problem: Keyboard and touchpad. But external USB keyboard and mouse work fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

On all Ubuntu versions:

Serial mice not working.

256-P1-N399-LX geforce 6200 video card. Card recognized and used, you can even install drivers, but it keeps booting into low graphics mode no matter what, and nvidea settings menu states that there is no driver in use.

Everything works fine in windows XP.

This was on a dell dimension xps d333 and on a compaq presario 5030, both with a pre 2000 bios.
    Bios updated on both systems, still no luck.

Note: sound doesn't work either, but I haven't had the time to look up the chipsets.
    Last edited by user11; January 18th, 2009 at 06:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dhay View Post
    Hello

Recently I've acquired an Asus X50GL/F5GL. I tried to install ubuntu 8.10 but it tries to start running and stop in the middle of the live-session(leaving the screen in black). I tried to install ubuntu 7.04, 7.10 and 8.04. Now i'm running with 8,04 but I had to install it for 4 times and I did it with the dvd version at the end(it always fails saying that it couldn't read some blocks).

When I had it installed I updated and it stop running. So I put the ubuntu cd and I ran it in text-mode and put the option "recover X". After that it runs another time.

The main problem is that it doesn't recognise the wifi, neither the graphical chipset, nor the sound-card. It happens in all the distributions I tried(how ubuntu doesn't run I tried to install debian(sarge, etch...), knoppix, fedora,mandriva and centOS(all of them in the latest versions excepting knoppix that was the ver 5.3.1). Some of them like knoppix and debian broke when try to install the dvd driver(The same happens when I try to test the laptop with Hiren's boot, I can't do anything because none of the drivers included is able to manage the dvd device).

I sent the automatic Test of Hardware included in ubuntu 8.04, but I preffer to explain here what happens, because I suposse I will not be the unic with this problem(But if you know that somebody installed ubuntu 8.10 in a laptop like this , please, tell me and I will go fast to change it to the store(but I tested the memory, the hard disc(with two programs) and I did some global test with sisoft Sandra and it seems to run ok).

The web page of this laptop is:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...75&modelmenu=1

Here the computer characteristics:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...24&l3=477&l4=0

In my case is:

Pentium T3200 (2.0ghz dual core).

Thanks for your attention

dhay
    I have that laptop, I've installed Linux Mint (Based on Ubuntu 8.10) and I can work with the laptop, but the brightness and battery are not working properly. Right now I'm hopping for some kernel update to fix this :/

Beans

Hi..., Newbie here, i have try to search on the forum, but still don't now what to do.., i have ubuntu 8.10 (dual with vista)

1. 5-1 integrated Digital media reader is not working
    2. HW maker : don't know how to check, but it's built in with Compaq CQ40-114AX, but from the list pci
    JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller
    JMicron Technologies, Inc. Standard SD Host Controller
    JMicron Technologies, Inc. MS Host Controller
    JMicron Technologies, Inc. xD Host Controller

3. When i put my SD card IN, there is nothing happen, no blink2 at all from the led indicator showing that SD card is inserted. and there is no additional media showed in /media

Need your help how to deal with it

Best Regards,
    Grimanda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Type: Laptop (specifically, sound, ALC883)
    It's the LG P1 Express Dual.

The sound works only through headphones. While it sometimes works via the internal speakers, it will distort and crackle/fade out after a minute or less of sound playback.

Also, you need to change the model in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base to 6stack-dig to get any internal speaker sound to begin with.

Page 33 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast