Page 4 of 95 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibiliy List.

Compaq Presario laptop with
    Processor: AMD Turion 64 bit, 2.0 GHz, 512 KB cache
    Nvidia GeForce 6150 on board graphics card
    512 MB RAM
    DVD writer
    80 GB SATA HDD
    integrated SD/MMC card reader
    integrated WiFi, LAN 100Mbps

OS: Xubuntu Feisty fawn 7.04 64 bit AMD dual boot with Windows XP

I had problems installing the standard Ubuntu 64 bit ( the installer seemed to hang while partitioning the drives), but the Xubuntu installer worked flawlessly. it detects most of my harware automatically, even the card reader! However there are some issues:

1. The laptop function keys do not work. I guess other laptop users face a similar problem.. it's been reported

2. laptop screen brightness cannot be adjusted. smartdimmer doesn't work... gives "init_nvclock() failed!" message.

3. hibernate is quite slow .... as compared to windows XP. switch user tends to hang sometimes

4.nvidia driver doesn't get installed; i still have to use the Nv driver (tried apt-get)

Otherwise, it's been a welcome change from XP, much faster! (except for the internet speed)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The machine worked like a charm from first install, but had to put some work in getting it fine tuned; see notes.

Asus F3M-AP034A-A

Mobile AMD Sempron 3400+
    Speed 2000 MHz
    Intern mem 2048 MB (the full mounty to try to speed up Vista... unsuccesfully)

TFT 15,4” Res 1280 x 800
    Video nVidia GeForce Go6100 (onboard) (had to work on this one a bit to get the right res.)
    Internal webcam DOES NOT WORK YET, but put no serious effort in it
    Sound onboard
    HD 80 GB, 5400 rpm DVD±RW DL, cardreader
    ethernet, USB 2.0, Wireless LAN
    FireWire 400 (IEEE 1394), modem, TV-out, DID NOT TEST THIS YET, but seems ok to me.
    6 cells Li-Ion

Dual boot Ubuntu 7.04 // Vista (paid for it, so it is going to be there till my wallet no longer aches )

Works fine with:
    Samsung ML3050ND network and usb printer (work both)
    KPN / Siemens Experiabox modem / router
    Canon Pixma IP2200 usb printer

Few things are to be edited when I finish with them, but right ''out of the box'' situation is like this:

Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn
    +
    Sony VAIO VGN A317M

specs:
    working right after the installation (out of the box):
    Mobile Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740;
    2gb DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-3200-DDR2 400);
    80 GB (S-ATA 5400);
    Double layer DVD±RW Drive;
    X-black LCD 17" WXGA+ (1440x900);
    ATI MOBILITYTM RADEON® X600 PCI Express with 128 MB VRAM resolution is right, even working in blender is by default ok, openGL is not ok, but that is general problem with ati/linux combination, and tweaking is necessary ;
    Intel® High Definition Audio compatible, 3D audio (Direct Sound 3D support);
    Network: Ethernet 10 BASE-T/100 BASE-TX/1000 BASE-T;
    WIRELESS LAN:IEEE 802.11b/g standard;
    BLUETOOTH;
    BATTERY/ Lithium-Ion;
    Wireless mouse;
    Firewire;
    USB;
    Audio/Video in and outs;

INTERFACES:
    working: dvd tray button, mute button, power off;
    not working: +-volume, +-brightness, auto brightness, zoom, special (useless) button;

NOT TESTED:
    Memory StickTM slot (Memory StickTM Pro, Memory StickTM Duo}, I don't have memory stick with me right now so I don't know if it works without problems, however , little light is on and it looks like it is recognized by system;
    DOCKING STATION: I do not have one;
    Modem: Built-in V.92/V.90 (56 kbps) data/fax modem: I didn't use it for a looong time;
    PC CARD SLOTS (PCMCIA): I don't have a card to test it right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

version of Ubuntu : Kubuntu 6.10

computer type : Desktop Computer

hardware :

Asus P5PL2-SE mainboard
    Intel Core2Duo E4300
    Galaxy 7900GS 256 MB video card
    Seagate 320 GB SataII hard disk
    Seagate 250 GB IDE hard disk
    Kingston 2x1 GB DDR2 667
    Linksys Wifi Adapter WMP54G
    Asus DRW 1612-BL dvd burner
    Samsung 226BW monitor

Everything worked out of the box except for the HDA Intel AD1986A sound chip. Refer to the following thread to get it working : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=231032 (MCMC). After this fix all audio connections are working perfectly.

Of course the wifi adapter had to be installed using the Broadcom 43xx firmware. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=bcm+43xx

NVidia 100.14.09 driver is fully functional with 3D acceleration and Beryl 0.2.0 running in Samsung 226BW native resolution (1680x1050).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Vaio VGN-TX3XP

Hi there,

I have not been able to find any info if Feisty works fine with Sony Vaio VGN-TX3XP. Does anone know? The graphics card (Mobile intel 945GM Express Chipset Family) gave me a lot of problems with Fedora Core 6.

Thanks in advance.. (Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question)

Beans

Ubuntu 6.10
    ASUS A9Rp Laptop
    1.8 Ghz Celeron,ATI Radeon Xpress 200M,ZyDAS 1211B Wireless,Realtek HDA Audio

Every thing is detected but WIRELSS,Audio(Built in speakers are OK but the 3.5 mm jack has weak sound),Modem

I could solve audio and wireless problems, users follow the instructions bellow:

1-Download and install kernel sources, I copied it to /usr/src/

2-Get this patch for audio and decompress to your kernel source root folder, mine is:/usr/src/linux-2.6.21-5
    ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/kerne...05-03.patch.gz
    so, you should have alsa-git-2007-05-03.patch in your linux kernel source folder

3-Open console and run:
    patch -p1 <alsa-git-2007-05-03.patch
    OK, Now kernel is patched for audio, we proceed to wireless.

4-Say your kernel source folder is like mine, /usr/src/linux-2.6.21-5, open this file:
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.21-5/drivers/net/wireless/zd_usb.c and add this line to the ZD1211-B section:
    { USB_DEVICE(0x0b05, 0x171b), .driver_info = DEVICE_ZD1211B },
    Save the file.

5-Now you should download this file and decompress the content into /lib/firmware/zd1211(if this directory does not exist, create it)
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=129083

OK,we are almost done!Now, you should compile the new kernel and install it.You can open /usr/src/linux-2.6.21-5/README.txt to find out how to do so. what I did:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.21-5
    Make oldconfig
    Make
    Make modules_install
    Make install

If using GRUB, you are done!Reboot and enjoy
    If using LILO, reinstall LILO and reboot and enjoy!

The above procedures should work with other versions of ubuntu as well as other distributions. One of my friends has done it in OpenSUSE 10.2 without any problem.

Beans

Re: Sony Vaio VGN-FE41Z & Feisty

Quote Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple View Post

Update (29th May 2007):
    [INDENT]I've created a custom BIOS that enables VMX. It turns out that module BIOSCODE6 already includes the instruction to set the VMX bit, but that it is jumped-over because a check of the user's Setup configuration says VMX is disabled (the user never gets the chance to enable it!). For this custom BIOS I simply over-write the jump instruction with 2 no-op (NOP) op-codes so the instruction that sets bit 2 of MSR 0x3A is executed.
    Unfortunately, the tool from Phoenix that allows the BIOS to have its modules extracted and re-catenated, BIOS Editor Pro v2.2, isn't totally reliable and can corrupt the resulting BIOS image such that when it is programmed by Phoenix WinPhlash the PC becomes a brick.
    can u share your custom BIOS with other sony viao user?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Feisty 7.04 64bit
    Core 2 Du0 E6700 2.6Ghz, (overclocked slightly to about 2.71Ghz to see if it could be done)
    ASRock 775i65G (rev 2.0) Motherboard. AMI BIOS, (Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2)
    1Gb OCZ Voltage Extreme DDR (PC400) RAM
    ATI X800XT (AGP) Graphics card
    Cmedia 9761A (on-board) 5.1 sound
    LITE-ON DVDRW SHW 16H5S (DVD writer)
    2x Seagate ST3320620A Barracuda 7200.10 (320GB Ultra ATA) hard drives.

I love ASRock boards, cheap, and rock solid. No problems at all expect Grub hates ATI cards, add "nosplash" to you boot line, to get around the splash freeze problem. However the 32bit 7.04 boot CD has no problems with the splash image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Dell Latitude CPx (old) laptop
    P3, 20gig HDD, D-Link wireless DWL G630 card

Dual Boot !!!! Feisty 7.04 and Windows 2000 Pro easy setup. wireless card was set up using direct connect eth1 then switched.
    Even Skype !
    a walk in the park !8) did it for a friend, added Ubuntu stickers !
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Xubuntu 7.04 (did a CLI install and then added all packages manually with apt/synaptic)

Using it as Desktop Computer,,,gaming and multimedia.

Asus P5N-E SLI
    Intel QX6700
    2x2gb A-Data PC2 5300
    MSI 7900GTO 512mb
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    1x36gb WD Raptor
    2x500gb Samsung T166 (16mb cache, SATA2, NCQ e.t.c)
    Samsung SATA DVD-RW

Everything worked perfectly well right out of the box. I have however turned of everything I don't use in bios such as firewire, IDE ports, onboard sound e.t.c
    I also compiled the lates 2.6.22 kernel and install nvidia driver with "Envy Script"
    Linux - The way it was meant to be !

Page 4 of 95 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast