Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495
Results 941 to 945 of 945

Thread: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

  1. #941
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kansas City suburb
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

    Cool Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

    HP Pro Book 450G1
    Runs Ubuntu 20.04 lts, 22.04 lts. They also can run Chrome OS Flex; haven't tried that yet. Unit came with Windows 7, Win 10 upgrade, then an inadvertent coffee spill; all hardware recovered but keyboard. Newer WD Blue 512GB SSD installed, Haswell core i7, 8 GB DDR3 low-voltage RAM.

    Windows 10 installed UEFI secure boot; that will need to be disabled in the BIOS in order to boot from USB. I am not sure that's necessary for booting the DVD, but probably needs to be disabled anyway to install another OS on the local hard drive.
    Last edited by djchandler; October 10th, 2022 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo, more information
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.



  2. #942
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

    There is a list of all the Ubuntu certified desktops at https://ubuntu.com/certified/desktops

  3. #943
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Munster, Ireland
    Beans
    2,467
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

    Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

    Cheers, oygle.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

  4. #944
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    3,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

    Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

    This thread has been starved of info. recently.
    Therefore, I'll try the resuscitation procedure:-

    In July 2023, GMKtec were offering substantial discounts on new Mini PCs
    Order placed on 24 July direct with the supplier via their website.
    https://www.gmktec.com/
    The consignment arrived on 07 August (UK address)
    All taxes, import duties, customs clearance and shipping door-to-door were included.

    GMKtec Mini PC--NucBox K2
    AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS with Radeon Graphics
    16GB DDR5 4800 Crucial
    1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 M.2 2280
    Ethernet: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE driver: r8169
    Wireless: Media Tek [14c3:0608] driver: mt7921e
    Bluetooth: MediaTek Wireless_Device type: USB driver: btusb
    UEFI only
    Windows 11 included

    Using Ubuntu 22.04 with Gnome 42.9 and Wayland

    All the following function fine:-

    All USB ports
    Wired ethernet
    Wireless
    Graphics and sound via HDMI
    Front panel headphone jack
    Bluetooth
    Logitech K270 Wireless Mouse and Keyboard
    Windows 11 Virtual Machine using Qemu/KVM

    Untested

    Microphone

    Good features

    Very easy to change nvme disk or DDR5 ram. The lid is a clip-fit - no screwdriver required
    Wireless card also accessible
    No fan noise for 90% of the time, very little fan noise for the remaining 10%
    USB-C on the front panel
    Ubuntu 22.04 runs pretty quickly

    Disappointments

    One stick of 16GB ram rather than 2 x 8GB
    UEFI firmware is limited
    Unable to deactivate internal disk via UEFI (but it only takes 90 seconds to remove it)
    The PC manual is sparse - I had to search the internet to find the dedicated F7 key for both boot menu and UEFI Set Up

  5. #945
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Promiseland
    Beans
    1,549
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

    Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

    Recently came in to possession of AtopNuc MA90 mini desktop. It came with Ubuntu 20.04 installed which ran without any issues; however, I prefer Xubuntu. Having the latest Xubuntu 22.04.3 on a USB drive, I booted up and completely overwrote Ubuntu 20.04. Welcome home to XFCE.

    The AMD Stony Ridge processor is not the fastest processor, but the integrated Radeon R5 graphics are about the sharpest I have yet seen. Just to let you know where I am coming from, all of my machines (4 + one chromebook) use integrated graphics. I removed and discarded two legacy nvidia GFX cards just last month.
    Cheers,


    The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •