Page 85 of 95 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Beans

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Quote Originally Posted by 1204 View Post
    Processor : AMD A4-5300 (FM2) 3.4 GHz, TDP 65W
    Video : AMD Radeon HD 7480D integrated
    MOBO : Asus F2A55-M (FM2)
    I got questions about this setup so let's put it here too. You can watch 1080p videos and also HD videos on Youtube, Vimeo etc. Remember to use AMD binary drivers and also VA-API (gpu video acceleration). 3.2 and 5.2: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

You can also play games fairly well like Minecraft, Legend of Grimrock etc. All I can say this A4 is very impressive to it's price. Very silent as well because of low power consumption.
    ------------------------------
    Got questions about this via PM, so yes, it's better than you may easily think of. You also get nice gpu performance boost the faster ddr3 ram you use. Gaming perrformance for example Mafia 2, Driver, Skyrim (not my video, and this A4-4300(FM1) is slower than A4-5300 (FM2)): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGLeZOSvsNk
    Last edited by 1204; March 15th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

HP dc7800 Convertible Mini-Tower Business PC

Ubuntu 12.04

I don't want to talk about the dc7800 so much as what I added to it. I wanted to modernize the unit and make data transfers between HDD's more convenient.

Bought a Kingwin KF-253 from newegg. It looks cool, and provides hot swap bays for big desktop HDD's and little notebook HDD's. It also has two USB 3.0 ports.

The dc7800 doesn't have any USB 3.0 capability. So I bought a Silverstone SST-ECO4-P at the same time as the Kingwin.

I didn't really know if any of this was gonna work or not...

Your PC has to be configured to AHCI in BIOS, or the Kingwin hot-swap bays won't work. And you can't just change an existing install to AHCI from the old-school IDE emulation. Your OS (Windows or Linux) has to be installed after BIOS is set to AHCI.

The Silverstone ECO4 needs a separate power supply, provided via Molex. I had some Molex fan extenders laying around, so that was no big deal.

I don't have any USB 3.0 device, so I can't provide any USB 3.0 speed test results. With the Kingwin USB cable connected to the Silverstone, the USB ports on the face of the Kingwin read USB 2.0 thumb drives.

Ubuntu picks up any 2.5" or 3.5" HDD inserted into the Kingwin. A word of caution here - I nudge the HDD in as far as I can with a finger. At first I just set the HDD in the opening and used the Kingwin's bay door to insert the HDD fully, but it felt like the door was gonna tear right off so I stopped doing that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    HP dc7800 Convertible Mini-Tower Business PC

Ubuntu 12.04

The dc7800 doesn't have any USB 3.0 capability. So I bought a Silverstone SST-ECO4-P at the same time as the Kingwin.
    So does this card work with Ubuntu 12.04-LTS or not ? I have a rosewill card and it will not connect at USB 3.0 speeds, in oneiric. I am getting a new build ready which will have precise. I like the card because it has a header for most of the new cases you get with USB 3.0. If it works let me know..

G
    : Phenom II X4 940BE : M4A785M : 8GB:SS-TJ08-E :: desk
    : E3-1240v2 : X9SCM-iiF : 16G:Antec-902v3 :: server
    : E6550 : DG45FC : 4GB:Apex MI-008 :: htpc

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu: 12.10
    uname -rvmpi: 3.5.0-25-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 18 23:27:42 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
    Type Of Hardware: USB DAC (digital to analog convertor)
    Hardware Maker: Meridian
    Hardware Model: Meridian Explorer

Alsa version: 1.0.25

Works out of the box, you only need to fire up alsamixer and increase volume (Meridian Clock Selector, Meridian Clock Selector 1)

Don't know how to achieve a higher sampling rate, even if playing FLAC only the first LED light is on.

The same goes for Ubuntu 12.10 and Kernel 3.8.x of Ubuntu Raring

Meridian says Alsa version should be >= 1.0.23. I suspect it could play better than it does now for me. Or I need better headphones (have Shure SE315 and RHA MA450i)

EDIT: The Meridian website now says that Alsa has to only be >= 1.0.23 (it used to say >= 1.0.32)
    Last edited by fraktalek; March 5th, 2013 at 10:58 PM.

Beans

I have Ubuntu 12.10 running on a ZBOX-ID80 with an Intel® Atom™ CPU D2700 @ 2.13GHz dual core with hyperthreading. It has 2GB of memory and a 320 GiB hard drive. This is a basic system (there is NO keyboard, NO mouse and No display - I have accumulated a lot of mice and KBs and an extra display over the years due to the virus laden, slow Microsoft machines I had been buying so I had spares). The system I described costs me $300-$25 (rebate) = $275. It runs awesome and gives me a very small form factor PC that meets my needs. It fits nicely behind the display on my desk. I don't have to climb around under my desk and route cables. I simply can't recommend it enough. I just took the system out of the box and plugged in a CD RW drive with an Ubuntu 12.10 disk that I burned with my Dell mini 9 running Ubuntu 12.10 too. The ZBOX immediately found the 12.10 OS and installed without any issues. This is so much better than any windows machine (period!).
    Last edited by jwaclawsky; March 5th, 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Beans

According to Slashgear, in fact Microsoft has integrated hardware detection capabilities in Windows RT with a lot of other devices, from printers, scanners, mice, keyboards and other devices using the USB port.

And according to Microsoft, the number of hardware devices that the company has integrated the ability to identify the Windows RT up to 420 million devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I recently bought myself a new desktop pre-installed with WIndows 8 that I've dual booted with Kubuntu 12.10 and now Ubuntu 12.10.

Components
    Main-board: MS-7798
    Main-board firmware: MSI ClickBios II (UEFI)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    GPU (integrated): Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (HD2500)
    Audio: 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller

Added components
    USB wireless brand and type: Conceptronic C300RU Wireless N
    USB wireless chipset: Ralink Technology, Corp. RT3072

Compatibility
    Kubuntu 12.10
    Graphical glitches on the desktop, disappear when changing rendering to Xrender in stead of OpenGL. Wireless works ootb. Installs fine.

Ubuntu 12.04.2
    Live session works fine, Wireless ootb. Installer fails to install GRUB in separate /boot partition though.

Ubuntu 12.10
    Perfect. Wireless works ootb and the GPU handles Unity fine. Installs and boots fine with separate /boot.

My Installation Procedure

1. Use the disk management in Windows 8 to make room for Ubuntu (I took ~ 50 GB)
    2. Press <F11> at boot to pick a boot device, pick DVD drive.
    3. Create ext2 partition for /boot in empty space, I gave it 500 MB.
    4. Create swap area the size of your RAM
    5. Create ext4 partition for /root to take the remainign space
    6. Install GRUB in the /boot partition, not MBR!
    7. Finish installation and reboot to Windows.
    8. Install EasyBCD
    9. Add Ubuntu to the boot menu, point EasyBCD to the partition of /boot
    10. Reboot again and see if Ubuntu boots correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

AsRock P67 Pro 3 + Intel i5-2500 3.3Ghz + G.Skill 4Gb ECO 1333 MHz + Broadcom 4321

OS: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring (3.8.0-19-generic), workstation
    (http://www.ubuntu.com)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    (http://ark.intel.com/products/52209/...ache-3_30-GHz)

MB: Asrock P67 Pro3
    (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P67%2...Specifications)

Graphics: ATI "Redwood XT" [Radeon HD 5670], 1GB, DDR5
    (http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...-overview.aspx)

Case: CoolerMaster HAF912
    (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php)

Memory: G.Skill 2x2 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz
    (http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=245)

Wireless: Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)
    (bought with a few dollars from Ebay, needs a miniPCI to PCI adapter)

Ethernet: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 500Gb

It just rocks!

Ubuntu 12.04
    USB Wirelss Network Adapter
    Netgear
    N300 USB Wireless adapter. Other model identification listed on the box: WNA3100M

This worked out of the box on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04. I did NOT install ndiswrapper.

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
    Gigabyte H61N-USB3 motherboard
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2120 @ 3.10GHz
    8GB PC1333 RAM
    Built-in video (HDMI), audio (HDMI), network (1000baseT)
    OCZ-VERTEX PLUS 60GB SSD
    Windows MCE-compatible USB infrared remote

Works well except the audio, which has a bit of static. I can only get the HDMI audio to work at all (with static) if I use the MythTV software mixer; everything else results in incomprehensible audio. If I could fix the audio it would be basically perfect for front-end work. The box itself is silent, you cannot even hear the fan from more than a few inches away. I know nothing of how audio works on Linux; any help would be appreciated.

Would like to use the builtin Intel MPEG decoder too, but am using HQ OpenGL for blitting. Works fine.

Page 85 of 95 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast