Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.
I recently bought myself a new desktop pre-installed with WIndows 8 that I've dual booted with Kubuntu 12.10 and now Ubuntu 12.10.
Main-board firmware: MSI ClickBios II (UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
GPU (integrated): Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (HD2500)
Audio: 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
USB wireless brand and type: Conceptronic C300RU Wireless N
USB wireless chipset: Ralink Technology, Corp. RT3072
Graphical glitches on the desktop, disappear when changing rendering to Xrender in stead of OpenGL. Wireless works ootb. Installs fine.
Live session works fine, Wireless ootb. Installer fails to install GRUB in separate /boot partition though.
Perfect. Wireless works ootb and the GPU handles Unity fine. Installs and boots fine with separate /boot.
My Installation Procedure
- Use the disk management in Windows 8 to make room for Ubuntu (I took ~ 50 GB)
- Press <F11> at boot to pick a boot device, pick DVD drive.
- Create ext2 partition for /boot in empty space, I gave it 500 MB.
- Create swap area the size of your RAM
- Create ext4 partition for /root to take the remainign space
- Install GRUB in the /boot partition, not MBR!
- Finish installation and reboot to Windows.
- Install EasyBCD
- Add Ubuntu to the boot menu, point EasyBCD to the partition of /boot
- Reboot again and see if Ubuntu boots correctly.
"I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg