Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

My latest system:

Motherboard: Asus M3N-HT Deluxe HDMI
    Processor: AMD Phenom II 940 3.0GHz Black Edition (Deneb)
    Video Card: XFX nVidia GeForce 260 896MB Black Edition
    RAM: OCZ Reaper 4GB 1066 2.2V
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W, Modular
    HD0: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
    /* This drive is partitioned four times, with WinXP SP3 (32-bit) as the primary, then Ubuntu Jaunty (64-bit), a third one with Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit), and the 4th is a swap space. */
    HD1: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    //Storage

This hardware configuration gave me a lot of difficulty with 8.10 Intrepid. All kinds of Buffer I/O errors when I was trying to install, and after I finally got it installed, the system speaker would beep constantly at me, and my monitor would go to sleep during boot and shutdown, which was especially annoying when FSCK decided to run, because I couldn't see it to tell what was going on.

9.04 Jaunty seems to have fixed all these glitches. I did a fresh install over my Intrepid installation, had video the whole time and and zero Buffer I/O errors. I continue to have video during every boot and shutdown now as well. I can't say for sure if Jaunty fixed the system speaker beep, because I haven't plugged it back in yet, but I believe that it has. Previously, as it was booting, the system beep would quickly, only for a second, sound over my external speakers when the system speaker was unhooked. This has not happened yet in Jaunty.

VERY happy with Jaunty, as it seems to have fixed all of my hardware incompatibility problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Ubuntu 9.04
    Laptop
    Acer
    Aspire 5520

Internal Mic is not working as well as POWER OFF can't turn the laptop off, and it needs a couple of key-presses to turn completly off.

Beans
    Distro

Laptop Acer Aspire 5570-4315 with Ubuntu 9.0.4 Final
    Intel Core Duo T2450 (2ghz), 1 gig PC-5300 Samsung, 160 gigs Samsung.

Intel GMA 950 (945) Working Out of the Box
    Sound HDA OOB (with some glitches though...)
    Wireless Intel 3945 OOB (from Live CD)
    SD Card Reader TI OOB
    Webcam Acer Orbicam (with some fix... see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1136990)

Bluetooth USB Dongle (ISSC EDR BTA) Piece of C... on Windows... OOB in Ubuntu!!!
    Nokia E65, 6600 and Motorola V635 phones synched (thanks Ubuntu!)
    Ipod Video 0 gigs detected by MPlayer...

Mouchkine-laptop -> Triple Boot... Ubuntu (main)...Swap... Windows 7... Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Hackintosh)... works great!

Beans

Laptop - Dell Vostro 1400

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5270 @ 1.40GHz
    HDD: ATA FUJITSU MHY2120B, 120GB
    Memory : 2060MB
    Operating Systems: Dual booting Windows XP & Ubuntu 9.04
    Video card: GeForce 8400M GS/PCI/SSE2
    Audio Adapter: HDA-Intel, 82801H, Dell device 0227 (Minor glitches)

The only issue seems to be the audio. It plays the audio, but songs sound a bit...screechy. Like there's something REALLY high pitched and it just makes my brain melt.
    Last edited by nerak; May 14th, 2009 at 01:31 AM.

Beans

Type : Laptop
    Model : Lenovo-IBM ThinkPad SL400 (14'')

CPU : Intel Core2Duo T5870 2.0GHz
    RAM : 3GB DDR-2
    Graphics : Intel 4500
    Wireless : Intel 5100 (Centrino)

CPU scaling works fine

Wireless works fine. No issues so far. Speeds are decent and signal strength is good.

Graphics work fine. Default screen resolution was set to 800x600 on first boot, but changing it to 1280x800 once in the Display Manager sorted it out. There seems to be slight tearing when playing videos on MPlayer and VLC, but I know this is a well documented issue with the Intel drivers and am confident updated drivers will fix the problem in the near future. Compiz seems to run fine. Played the Linux version of Bioware's Neverwinter Nights and it ran quite smoothly.

Sound works well. Volume levels are very good with headphones on (pretty good bass reproduction if plugged to good headphones).

USB ports work and transfer speeds are excellent. Tested with pendrives and Hitachi, Lacie and Transcend external drives.

DVD-RW works fine. Only problem I had was audio CD's I burned failed to play in my car CD player, but switching to GnomeBaker instead of the included Brasero solved that issue.

Webcam works with Cheese (not tested with Skype yet)

Card reader works with SD and SDHC cards (tested up to 4GB Sandisk Extreme III)

Trackpoint works and sensitivity is decent. Trackpoint center scroll button works as well. Touchpad works well with good sensitivity.

I get between 170 - 210 minutes of battery life with WiFi turned on, depending on what apps I run and whether I have a USB mouse and headphones attached. Pretty decent, considering the manufacturer rated battery life under Windows is said to be 3 hours. It came with a 6-cell battery as standard.

Wired LAN connection works. Not sure if the 56k modem works or not (I don't need it). Not tested Firewire, HDMI and ExpressCard slots yet.

System boots in around 25 seconds (maybe less) with concurrency enabled.

Suspend works well with very fast wake up time. Hibernate works but it takes rather long to wake up. I don't bother with hibernate anymore since it boots up so fast anyway.

System stays cool throughout heavy use. Fans hardly come on (or their very quiet when on, I dunno)

Minor niggles:
    Volume buttons don't work (my main gripe).
    Some FN key combinations don't work.
    FN screen brightness control only seems to be able to change between 2 levels.
    There's this very loud beep that occurs when I Shut Down or Restart. I've already turned off system sounds, but it's still there. (PC Beep type sound)

I'm pretty happy with the way this ThinkPad performs with Jaunty 9.04. Hope the small issues I stated above get resolved with future updates.

Cheers~
    Last edited by gan1708; May 14th, 2009 at 10:48 PM.

Beans

Okay, I'm very happy with Ubuntu. I will say, this is a viable alternative to Windows, even for people who don't know computers. This is the house we built, and we built it bigger. It is superior to Windows XP and Vista, and it looks better than Windows 7 could dream of looking. It's also bulletproof, I have blue screened my XP installation accidentally multiple times, I can't crash this when trying.

My system is as followed:

Acer Aspire One ZG5
    Ubuntu 9.04 (no Netbook Remix just the default install)
    Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 32-bit, I can't remember the model number atm
    1GB 667MHz DRR2 RAM
    Atheros AR5BXB63 Wireless
    I can't remember my NIC, but it works
    Sound works great, albeit it's a bit quite it seems, but I think it's just me
    Webcam works on default install
    Integrated graphics work fine.

There's no reason to use restricted drivers, NDISwrapper, anything really.. Ubuntu just works, I mean, the boot time is even faster than Windows. Thanks for proving the whole "*Nix takes longer to boot than Windows/DOS-like systems" myth wrong. With Windows XP on an NTFS drive, my boot time would be about 2 minutes. With this, I can be rocking out to my NOFX albums in about 30 seconds. Great job! The only thing I don't like is the little light on the wireless thing don't come on, and the on/off switch doesn't notify me. I'm not really compaining though..

The only issue I had was when I installed from Windows, the wireless drivers didn't work. At first, it would detect the hardware, but wouldn't connect, and after I chose to use the restricted drivers, it didn't work at all. I even tryed NDISWrapper to no avail, the drivers "worked" but the hardware wasn't detected. It does work however, on my old Thinkpad with the Linksys WPC54G v3.1 PCMCIA card though, and that's great. I ran Xubuntu on the Thinkpad, I will mention. Even the el weirdo flash drive I bought works.

So yes.. I'm very happy with Ubuntu 9.04, in my opinion, the years of the Linux desktop start here. I am encouraging Windows users to upgrade to this, mainly by helping them install it face to face. Wish me luck, I will publish my results here once I'm done doing this.

-Zach

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I have been using ubuntu since 5.04. Mine is a pretty old PC, which i have upgraded a little.

Ubuntu 9.04
    Compaq Presario S5030IL Desktop PC

Everything works out of the box great on the original hardware, i.e.
    P4 2.5 GHz
    15 inch Compaq 5500 (Coloreal) CRT Monitor
    128 MB RAM (266 MHz)
    CD-ROM
    40 GB Seagate HDD
    OnBoard SiS 650 Graphics Card (NO 3D though)
    OnBoard Ethernet & Modem
    and everything else.

Upgrades:
    80 GB Seagate Barracuda HDD
    512 (333 MHz) + 1024 MB (400 MHz) Kingston RAM
    Moser Baer DVD (DVD-R DL) Writer
    USB Modem.
    All just work.

XFX nVidia GeForce 6200 256 MB Graphics Card (3D works with restricted drivers)

Beans
    Distro

Laptop Acer Aspire 5315-2780
    Intel Celeron processor 560 to 2,13GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache
    Intel Graphic MEDIA Accelerator X3100 up to 250MB
    1 GB DDR2
    15.4" WXGA Acer cristalbrite LCD
    80GB (ext4 ¡¡¡¡)
    DVD super multi DL
    802.11 b/g WLAN

Greetings¡¡¡¡ of Chile

Beans

Here it goes...

Type: Desktop
    MB: ASUS M2V TVM
    CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+ AM2
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2 (667 Mhz dual channel)
    Video: Galaxy Geforce 7600GS/128MB DDR3
    HDD: 250 GB SATA2 (Hitachi something)
    Ubuntu 7.10, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04
    Everything (compiz, sound, 3d Acceleration, games) worked with all of the above Ubuntu versions out of the box. Of course with the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

MB: ASUS A7N8X
    CPU: AMD Athlon 2500+
    Memory: 1 GB DDRAM (400Mhz dual channel)
    Video: Nvidia Geforce MX 440/64MB
    HDD:40GB (dunno what type it is exactly)
    Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10
    Everything (compiz, sound, 3d Acceleration, games) worked with all of the above Ubuntu versions out of the box. Nvidia proprietary legacy drivers.

Dell Optiplex 755 / Intel Core2Duo E6550/ 2GB RAM (800 Mhz)/ 250 GB HDD Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 / 128 MB DDR2 / dual monitors
    Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04
    Everything (compiz, sound, 3d Acceleration, games) worked with all of the above Ubuntu versions out of the box. Of course with the Nvidia proprietary drivers. I think this is the most stable system of the ones i used.

Dell Inspiron 530 / Intel Core2Duo E4500 / 1GB RAM (800 Mhz) / 2x 500 GB HDD (SAMSUNG HD501LJ) / ATI RV530 [Radeon X1600] / 256 DDR3 (opensource radeon drivers)
    Ubuntu 9.04
    Sound, desktop effects working perfectly

Issues are all linked with the radeon opensource drivers
    Problem with video overlay (OpenGL) applications like google Earth or (runs smoothly without Compiz)
    Some games (foobillard, yo frankie and in some cases nexuiz) lock the system - in these cases i was able to log in via ssh and reboot the system (killing the Xorg, gdm or the game processes didnt work, only the reboot command)
    Some games (Enemy territory, Regnum Online) wont even start.
    Others run very fast and stable (Urban terror, Openarena, billard-gl).

Dell Inspiron 530 / Intel Core2Duo E4500 / 3 GB RAM (800 Mhz) / 200 GB HDD / ATI AIW RV515 (?not sure) [Radeon X1300] / 256 DDR3 (opensource radeon drivers) / Dual Head 1680 x 1050
    Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04
    Sound, desktop effects working perfectly (the latter a bit smoother maybe then the fglrx on Ubuntu8.10, although the glxgears score went down 30 %)
    All in all it seems 9.04 it is a bit more stable then the 8.10 - this computer had some crashes in 8.10 and 8.04 it seems related to the fglrx drivers...

Type: Laptop
    Dell Latitude C640
    Memory: 768 MB Ram
    CPU: Intel Pentium M 1800 Mhz (i think)
    HDD: 40 GB
    Video: Ati Radeon Mobility 7500 / 32 Mb dedicated VRAM
    Wireless: Orinoco something 802.11 b (no WPA yet in these versions)
    Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10
    Sound, Desktop effects working perfectly (surprisingly well for this ancient piece of hardware)
    Problems - from 8.10 the FN Keys wont work after starting X (worked in 8.04)

Type: Laptop
    Dell Latitude C630 / 2 GB RAM / Intel Core2Duo E7300 / 2GHz / 160 GB HDD / Nvidia NVS 135 / 256 MB / 802.11 bg wireless
    All good, except i couldnt get the hacker light (or whatever it is called to light up...)

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu 9.04
    Laptop: Compaq CQ70-211EM
    Intel Pentium Dual-core Mobile t3400
    2gb Ram
    Intel Mobile GMA 4500 MHD graphics
    Built in webcam (Conexant?)
    Built in card reader
    Atheros wifi

Appears to work without problems though I have not yet tried suspend or hibernate. Compiz works brilliantly, much better than I expected and I have had no difficulties which I thought might happen with the 9.04 Intel graphics incompatibility problem noted at first with 9.04.
    Wifi works straight out of the box, no configuration, other than chosing the network from a list of about 5 found.
    Webcam works out of the box, even with skype, as does the internal microphone.

Overall a superb buy for ubuntu, especially at the price Curry's (I would not usually use them, but the price!) has it in the UK at the moment, £349.

Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast