Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

Quote Originally Posted by StreLochKi View Post
    Hello,

I can't get it to work

I have a HP compaq dc7600 with on board i810
    and the last ubuntu
    In my pci ex slot is a digi expantion of the onboard grafix crard
    in Windows it works fine
    in ubuntu he loads only 1 driver and clones the screen but i want to extend

greetz

edit: the error i get is "No screens detected", in the log @ the end he says screens detected but no correct driver conf
    post your xorg.conf and let's have a look. By latest Ubuntu, do you mean 7.04?
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

Quote Originally Posted by featherking View Post
    @zachstruck
    Well i searched through the forums and most of the people having black and white svideo issues are A. using a PAL tv or B. using an nvidia card.. Not alot of help in either case. I am inclined to agree with you that perhaps it is xorg 7.2... But that doesnt make a whole lot of sense because you are still using the i810 driver which i dont believe has changed..

One piece of advice i did see was some people were helped by changing this line:
    Code:
    Option "TVOutFormat"    "SVIDEO"
    to this:
    Code:
    Option "TVOutFormat"    "COMPOSITE"
    That shouldnt fix anything but some people did report that it gave them color on their svideo. I am trying to hunt down xorg 7.2 so i can play with it myself but until then perhaps you could try changing that line...?

EDIT: Well hunting down Xorg 7.2 is proving to be a challenge for edgy. Find this source, compile these install that. Im afraid if it is a problem with xorg 7.2 then you may have to wait it out. As a side note, i didnt think feisty had 7.2 installed by default..? you can check what you are running by typing 'Xorg -version' at the terminal. I am running 7.1.1
    Quote Originally Posted by zachstruck View Post
    I just tried out this excellent tutorial, and everything works fine except one thing. The TV screen is black and white (and slightly wavy too). I know that it's not the s-video cable since it works fine with my DVD player. Any reasons why this may be?
    Well, I have i915. And my xorg is just a copy-and-paste of the examples. Both s-video clone and the s-video dual screen both give a black and white screens. Additionally, the screen on the TV doesn't fill the height of the TV.
    I am using Fiesty, which has xorg 7.2. Perhaps that's causing the problem.
    featherking,
    On my issue of the black and white output, I reinstalled Edgy today. Unfortunately, I had no more luck with it either. The output on Edgy is the exact same as with Feisty.
    The output is still black and white.
    @amahd1986
    Im not sure if there is a fix for people using adapters and having a black and white screen. Ive heard of the issue but as i cant see it myself im not really sure how to fix it. The only thing i can suggest is try changing the line where you have 'Option "TVOutFormat" "Composite"' to read "Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"' See if that changes anything

@hanretty
    the font errors dont matter, ive had them since i first installed linux, never had a problem. Post the xorg.conf.dual so i can see if you have edited everything right. Also run 'lspci' and post the output and do you use beryl? Post these and we will start to figure out whats wrong. Start with the lspci output if you will...
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkelly View Post
    Has any one found a solution for the black and white issue, for Pal standard tv's??

It is really annoying since everything else works perfectly!!!

Thanks to featherking for making this how to
    Quote Originally Posted by gejr View Post
    I've had the problem of having blue video in VLC when connected to my TV for a long time. I just found a solution that worked for me, so maybe it can help someone else as well.

First, the X11 output worked for me. In VLC: Settings -> Preferences -> Check the "Advanced Options" checkbox in the lower right corner -> Video -> Output modules -> Change "Video output module" to X11. -> Save -> Play movie.

BUT, this X11-module shows the video in worse quality than it should. So, I wasn't really satisfied with this. However, when I changed Option "TVStandard" to "PAL-G" in xorg.conf my laptop monitor video screen becomes blue, but the tv-image becomes perfect. So it's the other way around. It's most perfect in my eyes.

So many europeans probably want to change this to PAL-G and see if that helps you:9
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad1986 View Post
    Many thanks for ur effort featherking,

Could u plz explain each of the 5 modes more clearly, cuz i got confused on reading them!

All What i want to do is to have the tv and/or laptop screen works displaying the same content.

I have an output SVideo and TV input is composite so i use a converter.

My graphics card is :

Code:
    #lspci | grep 915
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    i have copied ur svideo file and modified it a little to my settings and here it is now :

Now I have the picture displayed on both monitors but the TV is black-white image!!!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Best Regards
    I tried looking some more but i continue to only find PAL issues.. If you do downgrade to edgy please let me know. I even downloaded the newer i810 driver to look at it but i didnt notice anything that looked different concerning svideo.. As i plan on upgrading to feisty (maybe RC1 or RC2) i hope that the svideo function isnt broken....?
    I tried the "COMPOSITE", but it didn't change anything. I also tried just commenting it out, but that didn't do anything either.
    I searched around the Internet, and it does seem that people with PAL TVs have this black and white problem, but I live in the States and use NTSC.
    And my Xorg is 7.2.

Code:
    X Window System Version 7.2.0
    Release Date: 22 January 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
    I think that I am going to downgrade and reinstall Edgy sometime next week. I'll let you know if there's any difference.
    Summarized the Black and white issue with PAL TVs and i810 driver here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/109934

All who are having the same problem should visit this bugreport and mark it as confirmed!
    Last edited by motin; April 25th, 2007 at 03:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

awesome!! i have been looking for something like this.. i cant wait to get home and try it!!! i will let you know how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

@motin
    Wow that is alot of posts about black and white issues! they really start to add up, good idea opening up a bug report

@adt41287
    Hopefully it works well for you, if not post back!
    How to Svideo and More on your i945 Chipset
    Dell E1405, Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHZ, 512 DDR2, Primary OS - Hardy RC / Secondary OS- XP Home

Beans
    Distro

i can not for the life of me get this working..
    i am using feisty fawn, but not using beryl. the chip is an Mobile Intel 915GM Express
    i had it hooked up to my Tv the whole time and saw some flickers and a couple of the times i would get an image but black and white and split into 3 sections not very clear... i tried starting all sections but no luck

Beans

edited:
    Hi Featherking - this was about the tenth howto I tried to setup dualview and the first one that worked - though I get frequent crashes

1. However how do I can use a 6. th format (or I am fine if it is either number 2 or 3 as I never ever use tv-out) which only shows CRT! (it's possible for me to do that by rebooting and during boot having the external monitor enabled) - Found out how to do it. I have to leave X - then FN-F8 (or whatever is configured for your notebook to switch the screen) and then restart X and it works. - For 2-4 I haven't yet found out how to achieve.

2. Is it possible to have in dualview CRT as prime monitor and Laptop as second? Under windows this works (allso there too it crashes sometimes).
    If I switch outside x to the CRT with FN-F8 and then try to login I get thrown back and says crash so I have to change with FN-F8 to laptop lcd before restarting in a switchmon mode.

3. How is it possible in Clonemode to use the bigger CRT in lets say 1280x1024 and use the laptop screen in 1280x800 with scrolled overscan?
    4. Is it possible to use different refresh rates in clone mode, as 50 or 60hz on CRT looks really bad and hurts my eyes?

Thank you very much - you made my day.
    Last edited by extremecarver; April 28th, 2007 at 11:19 PM.

Beans

One more question: do you know why I have many many problems to log in as normal user but as root it works nearly allways?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by extremecarver View Post
    One more question: do you know why I have many many problems to log in as normal user but as root it works nearly allways?
    Since you followed this guide? Check the permissions of the X configuration files as well as do a:

Code:
     sudo chown YOURUSERNAME /home/YOURUSERNAME -Rc
     sudo chmod u+r /home/YOURUSERNAME -Rc
    ... to make sure you can access all files in your home directory.

If it is not a problem related to this guide, I beg you to start a new thread on the issue. It is not very polite to even innocently hijack another thread.

Beans

First of all, thanks to Featherking for this code. I've been using it for awhile now and it works great and makes my colleagues jealous The problem is that since I have upgraded to feisty and installed beryl (i didn't forget to uncomment the line in the switchmon script) I cannot use dual screen. The problem comes from the restarting X. When i restart X, i am met with the hated blue screen. This happens even when using the single.dat file, forcing me to do a sudo reboot to get my computer back up (but then it works fine, i.e. no blue screen->a normal boot). Has anyone else had this issue? Anyone, have a solution? I miss my dual screen............

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

@hanretty
    what happens if you manually disable beryl before you run the script to go dual screen? (at least switch the window manager to metacity) Does X still crash?
    How to Svideo and More on your i945 Chipset
    Dell E1405, Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHZ, 512 DDR2, Primary OS - Hardy RC / Secondary OS- XP Home

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast