Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

I just tried your tip and it seems to work pretty good... However I can't figure one thing.... I have a widescreen laptop but a FS LCD monitor, now what I would like to do is to keep the WS resolution on the laptop but have FS resolution on the LCD monitor but I don't seem to get it working.... neither with Dual Monitor or Clone Desktop... Does this maby have something to do with that I had to have 915 resolution installed to get proper WS resolution on my laptop.... ?

Edit: Hmm, I noticed another thing, videos always appear black on my second monitor. I have to choose x11 video output and it has terrible quality
    And another thing. Does anyone know how to let OpenOffice presentation apper in full screen on the second monitor when I have dual monitor selected?
    Last edited by gardara; February 22nd, 2007 at 04:59 AM. Reason: adding more info
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    At this time it is possible to run windows viruses with wine. They do not run well yet....http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?s...30222&from=rss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

@gardara
    I dont think you can play video on the second monitor, this is an excerpt from the i810 man page:
    NOTE: Video overlay functions will not work on the second head in this mode.
    If you must have your video play on your other monitor you can try adding this in your "Device" section:
    Code:
    Option "FlipPrimary" "True"
    That may or may not work, but it also says that it can sometimes cause the text to appear odd.

As for your other monitor, i have not played with different resolutions a great deal, i would try adding your FS monitor resolution into the "Screen" section for your FS monitor. In my example look at the file xorg.conf.dual and go to the "Screen" section with the "CRT" identifier. On the line that begins with "Modes" add the resolution of your FS monitor. For example if my monitor resolution is 1600x1200 then my line now looks like this:
    Code:
    Modes   "1600x1200" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    How to Svideo and More on your i945 Chipset
    Dell E1405, Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHZ, 512 DDR2, Primary OS - Hardy RC / Secondary OS- XP Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

@ALL
    I have edited the original how to in the svideo configuration. When running in Svideo mode it will now clone your display to the tv. The behavior before was to have the TV act as a second desktop, but i think (for me) this new configuration will be a more desirable configuration. I tested playing a youtube video on my laptop and it correctly was displayed via svideo on the tv.

To those who used the how to before: You can just make the changes listed in the new svideo configuration to your current xorg.conf.svideo or just repeat that entire step of creating the new xorg.conf.svideo
    Dell E1405, Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHZ, 512 DDR2, Primary OS - Hardy RC / Secondary OS- XP Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You ARE the king bro! Thanks alot, works perfecto!
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh, wow it's a bad trade off...I like the dual monitor, but video is blued out on the tv now. Can you please repost the original svideo file please? It worked with dvds and other video files on the tv.
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

@ripfox
    ive posted the original back and added an option for a cloned mode. So now you have svideo where the tv acts as a seperate desktop and one where it clones your laptop monitor and tv monitor. However, you should not have any problems playing video in either setup, i tested both on my laptop fine. Could you please post your xorg that you are having video problems with?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It was the second xorg.svideo file you posted, Switchmon 1. Worked before with dvds, but the second config decided not to play video, just a blue screen in VLC or Gxine.

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    # path to defoma fonts
    FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "bitmap"
    #Load "GLcore"
    Load "ddc"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "dri"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "type1"
    Load "vbe"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "stylus"
    Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to
    # /dev/input/event
    # for USB
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "eraser"
    # /dev/input/event
    # for USB
    Option "Type" "eraser"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "cursor"
    # /dev/input/event
    # for USB
    Option "Type" "cursor"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "SVIDEO"
    Driver "i810"
    Option "MonitorLayout" "TV,LFP"
    Option "FlipPrimary" "True"
    Option "TVStandard" "NTSC"
    Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
    Option "Clone" "True"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "LCD"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 30 - 81
    VertRefresh 56 - 76
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "TV"
    HorizSync 30-50
    VertRefresh 60
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "TV"
    Device "SVIDEO"
    Monitor "TV"
    DefaultDepth 24

SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768 800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "LCDandTV"
    Screen "TV"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Option "AIGLX" "true"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DefaultServerLayout" "LCDandTV"
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

featherking--

Followed all your instructions, and then did switchmon 2, and I got "unexpected end of file".

Any idea what would be the fix?

Thanks for doing this fantastic work, featherking!
    :- Doug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

@ripfox
    Thats really strange that it doesnt play the video, as i said i have no problems at all.. Perhaps i will try testing some more things on it.. The only difference between the xorg you posted and the one i use for that is in the "Display" section yours looks like this
    Code:
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768 800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    And mine looks like this:
    Code:
    SubSection "Display"
    		Depth	24
    		Modes	"800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    The only difference(besides the resolution) is the quotation marks around each individual resolution, in your xorg your were missing some inbetween 1024x768 and 800x600, but i dont see how that would affect the video.. You could try and see, but i did put that original xorg back up if you want to switch back

@dgerman
    I found the typo, follow the howto just at the beginning when it creates the 'switchmon' script. I was missing something and it is now fixed..!
    Last edited by featherking; February 26th, 2007 at 05:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yea, the original one works again...weird. Oh well if it works, it doesn't need fixin'! BTW, anyone here know why Regnum wont launch with the Intel embedded graphics? I was playing it forever on my box with an Nvidia card, no problems, but now that I got this lappy, no go. I have tried everything it seems, and I DO have Beryl running and all, so my video is ok...
    *note* I don't try to run it while running Beryl

Any help is appreciated!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast