Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

Beans

Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

Good idea. I switched to Metacity and then went to dual screen and it worked. However, when I am in dual screen, i can't switch back to Beryl. I can open the beryl manager (the emerald icon, or from a terminal) and click on Beryl, but nothing happens. Did this several times but it did not switch to Beryl. Beryl is real cool and all, but I may just have to settle with Metacity for dual screen (at work) and save Beryl for single screen (at home).Any ideas as to why I can't switch to Beryl while in dual screen? (switchmon 4)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

@hanretty
    I have never been able to get beryl on a dual screen at my setup. I have always done just as you described metacity for dual screen, beryl for single screen. If you do figure out how to get beryl on both, please let me know. As for not being able to switch to beryl via the script, that part was actually contributed by someone else. i used to always manually switch to metacity. I will play around with the script and let you know
    How to Svideo and More on your i945 Chipset
    Dell E1405, Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHZ, 512 DDR2, Primary OS - Hardy RC / Secondary OS- XP Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

thanks so much for this article. I'm new to linux and this was the one final thing stopping me from deleting my windows partition! DOWN WITH WINDOWS!!!

I do however, have one problem:

I managed to get my DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T usb working not too long ago, and then only by disabling the desktop effects that i had running. Now I face the same black window in kaffeine that i was getting before i turn off the effects.

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a 17" LCD (Acer AL1714) attached. I upped the ram to 1GB and apart from that it is your stock standard inspiron 6000. I was wondering if anybody had the same problem after implementing this method, or knows whats happening?

THanks very much.
    Henry
    Last edited by henryhynd; May 8th, 2007 at 11:12 AM.

Beans

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "LCDandCRT"
    Screen 0 "LCD"
    Screen 1 "CRT" RightOf "LCD"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Option "Xinerama" "true"
    # Option "AIGLX" "true"
    EndSection
    As far as I have experienced, using 2 Screens will not let you drag windows between them. I am using an ATI card, but I think this issue is only X-Server relevant.

I am using 1 Screen with an Option for a second monitor and windows dragging works. Heres my device section. Try finding an equavalent to "DesktopSetup" for your grafik card.
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon X800 (R430 UO)"
    	Driver		"fglrx"
    	BusID		"PCI:5:0:0"
    ########### DualScreen with 2 LCDs ##########################
    	Option "DesktopSetup"  "horizontal,reverse" #Enable Big Desktop
    	Option "Mode2"         "1024x768" #Resolution for second monitor
    	Option "DesktopSetup" "LVDS,AUTO" #the types of monitors that is connected LVDS = LCD, CRT, AUTO
    	Option "EnablePrivateBackZ" "yes" #Enable 3d support <= May Not Work
    	Option "HSync2" "65" #This sets the horizontal sync for the secondary display. 31-61
    	Option "VRefresh2" "60" #This sets the refresh rate of the secondary display. 56-75
    	#Option	  	"ForceMonitors" "crt1,tmds1,notv"	#Doesn't really work, use "EnableMonitor" instead
    	Option	    "EnableMonitor" "notv,tmds1,crt1"
    	Option	    "PairModes" "1280x1024+1024x768"
    #############################################################
    EndSection

Beans

Great Job ob explaining featherking. Ive got my configuration with an ATI working .

I still have a problem with the resolution changing between two of my xorg.confs. My clone mode needs a resolution of 1024x768 on my LCD monitor so that my old Television will be able to clone it.
    When in dual mode, I use 1280x1024+1024x768=(DVI LCD)+(Analog LCD).

When I change between the two with your script, I have to set the resolution accordingly with gnome-display-properties. Is there a way to pybass this with a command in the script?
    Code:
    gnome-display-properties --help
    didn't reveal anything useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

@Hasen_A
    I would think that you could just change the resolutions available in your xorg.conf.clone. What i mean is make 1024 x 768 the only available resolution. Then whenever you load that conf file it will switch to the available resolution automatically when X is restarted. Look in your xorg for Section "Screen" then SubSection "Display" then Modes and the resolution that is the furthest left of all the resolutions listed is the default. So if you have
    Code:
    SubSection "Display"
                    Depth           24
                    Modes           "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600"
            EndSubSection
    then try changing it to this
    Code:
    SubSection "Display"
                    Depth           24
                    Modes           "1024x768"
            EndSubSection
    Always make a backup of your working file before you begin messing around. However, this should automatically load 1024x768 whenever this conf file is used. When you use the xorg.conf.dual those resoIutions are stored in a seperate file so you dont need to change anything else. I hope i understood your question. Let me know..
    Dell E1405, Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHZ, 512 DDR2, Primary OS - Hardy RC / Secondary OS- XP Home

Beans

Thanks, I solved the first problem myself and you are right about Gnome remembering the dual screen resolution correctly. The problem was that without
    Code:
    SubSection "Display"
                    Depth           24
            EndSubSection
    I switched the resolution by hand and when going back to dual mode via script, it would keep that first resolution.

Thanks a bunch, happy with my TV right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

@Hasen_A
    So what ended up working to fix it? did you edit your xorg like my suggestion or did you just find a command to add to the xorg rotater script. You say you switch the resolution by hand? are you just manually changing the resolution and then running the script? Sorry for all the questions i just want to understand what the problem and solution are, thanks

Beans

@Featherking:
    I've got everything working the way I want. I changed the xorg.conf to
    Code:
    SubSection "Display"
                    Depth           24
            EndSubSection
    and Gnome does remember the resolution settings when switching xorg.confs with you're script and the resolution is kept the same. All I do now is run the script, no follow-ups.

Beans

hi, can someone please help me?

in step 2, after i type

sudo /etc/X11/xorg.conf.svideo

I keep getting the error ...

sudo: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.svideo: command not found

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Leon

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast