Thread: Sacramento

Beans

Sacramento

Sacramento, looking for a linux master to impart the deadly secrets of Linux jutsu jitsu to me.

-Crimson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Sacramento

I'm not in Sac at the moment, and I'm no Ubuntu Guru, but I just wanna show the love for my hometown,

See you around!

Beans

Hi,

I'm the accessibility coordinator for Ubuntu and have a request for you folks in Sacramento

I just got off the phone with a retired gentleman in Sacramento who is trying stubbornly to migrate from Windows to Ubuntu. He has run into all the usual problems a new Linux user might but is sticking with it. In addition he has trouble getting around his system and reading mailing lists and forums because he has reduced vision. For a 72 year old he seems very knowledgeable about computers generally though.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to meet up with him in person and give him some advice, perhaps demo some Ubuntu features for him. No need to be a guru, just know how to install things and change themes and such. You can ask the accessibility team for advice on the special tools like Orca. I'm thinking magnification with Compiz or Beryl might be just what he needs.

Please get in touch with me (henrik AT ubuntu.com) if you think you can spare a few hours one afternoon. Let's show him the strongest side of Ubuntu: our friendly community!
    Henrik Nilsen OmmaUbuntu QA Team Lead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If no one's taken care of this, I will.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey SacTown peeps!
    Lovely weather we're having lately huh?
    Anyway, I'm available for... well, just about anything in the Sac region

A little background:
    I used my first computer at age 11 - this was 1976 in the basement of the Lawrence Hall of Science, it was a teletype hooked to a VAX, I played Trek - I was hooked....
    Graduated high school in '82 from one of the first schools in the state to have a Computer Science program.
    Went to Sac State, majored in Computer Science (Programming) - did alot of Unix stuff there - the PDP-11 & Cyber 7 being the 2 main workhorses there.
    Meanwhile, I'd been following the story of this group of geeks who started a software company out of their garage...
    And about how you could build a "real" desktop computer - with off-the-shelf parts...
    Summer of '83 I built my first computer - and 8086 w/640KB RAM (nobody will ever need more then 640KB ) with a whopping 10MB external hard-drive. That drive cost me $1500 and was the size of 2 external CDROM drives stacked! But then, those were the days when a 5.25" floppy held 360KB and modems screamed @ 300 baud...
    Mid 80's started and ran a programming & consulting company - was moderately successful but highly stressful...
    So in the 90's I dropped out and started playing music ... Toured a few years with a few different bands... always, though, keeping up with the state of PCs...
    New century found me back in the "Industry", so to speak... This time, though, my focus has been on networking & security...

and, uhhh, that brings me up to now....
    The symbol is not the thing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi

I moved to Sacramento a few months ago to live with my girlfriend; before that I lived in Vancouver, B.C. for quite a while. My gf and I were talking about moving to Vancouver with her children, but it now looks like we'll be staying here for the next couple of years.

I am not very techie, but I've been using linux for the last few years because I strongly believe in open source approaches and I'm particularly attracted to Ubuntu, the distro I've been using for the last year or so. I just ordered a Pangolin laptop from System76 and I'm eagerly awaiting that!

In addition to linux I'm very interested in integral approaches, especially the work of Ken Wilber. I read science fiction and a fair amount of non-fiction, like to watch non-mainstream movies including a lot of documentaries. You can find out more about me by reading my Zaadz profile: http://aqalicious.zaadz.com/

I'd be interested in meeting other Ubuntu enthusiasts in the Sacramento area.

cheers
    arthur

Beans

I would certainly love some help on learning linux, and possibly any other skills you are willing to trade I have some skills of my own. You sound like an awesome source of information glad that you are a user. I'm in the Sacramento area, and looking for local geeks to trade takeover plots with. Much love to everyone, on every day.