Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so, how many of you are upgrading to feisty soon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

so, how many of you are upgrading to feisty soon?

the title asks it all.

myself, i started the torrent download (very fast!) this morning and have been seeding all day. I will install feisty this weekend (just cause i have to backup my home dir and all that stuff)

how about you guys?
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: so, how many of you are upgrading to feisty soon?

Downloaded torrent yesterday from some college with no problem. Feisty Fawn download went fine too.
    I also seeded for about 5 hrs yesterday.
    I'm new to Feisty Fawn. I burned it to a DVD and ran the program. I'm not quite ready to install. A little nervous.
    I only have a 80GB HD and a 40GB external HD for back up. Just haven't thought this through yet. Would like to learn more about it.
    One thing I thought I read that it accepts Ff bookmarks. I guess you have to do an install for that feature to work?
    Also is there anywhere I can learn about the security issues with Feisty Fawn compared to Win XP? What would I need to do to secure Feisty Fawn? Anti Virus, Firewall, etc.
    Thanks
    Setup:
    Win XP SP2 all updates
    Vaio 80GB HD Notebook
    1GB RAM
    Security:
    NOD32, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Sunbelt Kerio, Rootkit Revealer, Ice Sword, HijackThis, Sandboxie, TrueCrypt,
    Spyware Blaster.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Torrents were crazy yesterday, and are really fast today too...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Instead of downloading the image, which I will do soon enough, I did the upgrade through update manager. Although it took me almost 14 hours to complete the upgrade, I only did it because I did not want to reconfigure several packages (lazy???). The only problem I had was the title bar missing when running beryl. I have that fixed now, and it is posted at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=389390. Other than that, no other problems found. Feisty seems to be running somewhat smoother, but I will have to play around some more.

Beans

i'll probably do a dualboot today on my lappy. i have edgy 6.10 configured nicely but since it was all learning and testing for me i know that my "cleanliness" of the system is not as good as i'd like it to be.

looks like i'll have to redo the bcom 4311 drivers with ndiswrapper again for fiesty

Beans

I have a test machine at home that I use to try out new stuff before doing so with my main computer, and the upgrade from 6.10 to 7.04 didn't work.

This is because of a directory that needed to be empty that wasn't. I thought I'd written it down somewhere, but apparently I've lost the note. Anyway, it was because of a file that Opera created when I installed it on the test machine. Opera put this file into the directory that was supposed to be empty, and the upgrade exited with an error about halfway through.

This made the machine unbootable, so I had to install 7.04 from scratch.

I really like 7.04, but I have Opera on my main (6.06) machine, and won't be upgrading that any time soon as a result of my experiences on the test machine. I mean, I'll do it eventually. Just not right now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Fresh install and 1 problem. My ati card started freaking out with resolutions above 1024x768. So I ran some random console commands and now it seems to work. mmm 1680x1050 is so nice.
    -AKA SlickMcRunfast
    LXGC Game Night every Sunday. | AZLOCO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Upgraded today after work - took about 1 hour for download and install - seems a little faster and smoother - kinda - but beryl acts funny - kinda choppy - been looking to see of someone else has had this problem - other than that, looks pretty good

System76 Serval Performance laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig RAM and nVidia

-SE
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by Seal8 View Post
    Downloaded torrent yesterday from some college with no problem. Feisty Fawn download went fine too.
    I also seeded for about 5 hrs yesterday.
    I'm new to Feisty Fawn. I burned it to a DVD and ran the program. I'm not quite ready to install. A little nervous.
    I only have a 80GB HD and a 40GB external HD for back up. Just haven't thought this through yet. Would like to learn more about it.
    One thing I thought I read that it accepts Ff bookmarks. I guess you have to do an install for that feature to work?
    Also is there anywhere I can learn about the security issues with Feisty Fawn compared to Win XP? What would I need to do to secure Feisty Fawn? Anti Virus, Firewall, etc.
    Thanks
    Setup:
    Win XP SP2 all updates
    Vaio 80GB HD Notebook
    1GB RAM
    Security:
    NOD32, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Sunbelt Kerio, Rootkit Revealer, Ice Sword, HijackThis, Sandboxie, TrueCrypt,
    Spyware Blaster.
    i know nothing of ff (fantasy football, right?) bookmarks, personally...any of you guys know? i would imagine that if all else fails, you could install a windows copy of firefox (or another browser that is compatible) over WINE and run it in ubuntu effectively.

as far as security goes, that's one area where you can basically rest easy. the suite of software you have cooking right there is quite openly unnecessary--gnu/linux plays host to a severe minimum of exploits and viruses, partly because it retains a very small share of the desktop market and primarily because it is built with security as a great priority.

the only security measures i'd recommend to you are Firestarter (a small firewall application and iptables front-end) and perhaps a NoScript extension for firefox. otherwise, running ubuntu leaves you with a significant lot less to worry about.

if you take the plunge (and i highly recommend it) you can always come to us or to anyone on the forum with questions. and if you need any further convincing, let us know.
    Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flamethrower.
    Bruce Feirstein, Real Men Don't Eat Quiche

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did the reinstall. (carry over superstition from my windows days) Also why I missed the meeting.

It shuts down quicker. I am having trouble getting beryl to work right. Over all, not bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast