Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Canon iP3000 Printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Canon iP3000 Printer

Quote Originally Posted by u-blunt-2
    What difference can you notice? Is the color printing better ?

I tried installing the japanese drivers from canon, without success. The instalation seemed flawless, however when I printed something, the file was queued to the printer, then disappeared as if printed. However, nothing came out...
    i have tried printing with both the BJC-7000 and Japanese Canon iP3100 drivers now on ubuntu... but i have totally stopped this practice.

reason? it seems like with these user-self-appointed "alternative" drivers, the printer inks get drained FAST...

i use linux to print only occasionally, but when i need to print a lot, i boot into windows XP... it sucks, but then again, it's all canon's lack of support. thanks to them.

unless a very good reason exists, i now advise linux friends NOT to use canon PIXMA printers... simply coz there are no drivers!!
    RYKEL™ | Google+ OR Skype Name: rykellim

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Canon iP3000 Printer

Works perfect for my IP3000 printer. Thank you very much.
    Real friendship: real friends don't let their friends use windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hm, didn't work for me. It says there's a print job, but nothing happens. Does it require a restart by chance?

UPDATE: The BJC-7004 drivers seem to work well, and I think I had selected the wrong port to begin with. I had to delete the printer and start over, so now it's working.
    Last edited by bradlis7; April 3rd, 2006 at 05:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Weav
    Is it possible to get this to work with a network printer that is shared? I'm trying to print from a printer from a room next to mine do i need to select windows network printer?

Thanks
    Just installed Ubuntu, went to New Printer in System, Administer, Printer, chose:

Network Printer: Windows Printer (SMB), it asked for a user/pass...

the printer is shared without a password, so i click ok with the password blank, it had my current username filled in already.

After that, i chose 'bedroom' from the Host dropdown, after a slight wait
    Printer... canon,
    left username and password blank... clicked forward, chose Canon: BJC 7000,

for driver it had only the listing:

High Quality Image (GIMP-Print) (gimp-print) (Suggested)

so i click apply and there is my printer, i right click and choose properties, and printed a test page...

Worked flawlessly, out popped a very nice looking Ubuntu test page

I know this post was way back in 05, but the one that suggested BJC7000 was even older and it helped me a ton! So i figured id post the steps i took and answer your question that YES it will work fine for a shared winblows printer

Beans

Boo hoo!

I just bought an IP3000 (partially because of the relative success folks here have had on interfacing it with Ubuntu. I used the Canon BJC-7000/800 driver approach mentioned earlier.

The printer works fine for black printing. Unfortunately, it doesn't work worth stink as a color printer. When I try to print a photo, for instance from OpenOffice, or any other application I've tried so far, the results are terrible. I don't know how to describe what is happening, except to say it looks like the result if you tried doing a coloring book, when you had only 4 crayons.

The Printer Test Page (from CUPS) looks great - the color wheel is super.

I tried changing the settings (draft, regular, etc.) to no avail. Any suggestions what to try next (short of returning the printer!)

Thanks for any help!

Beans

Don't be discouraged! I was about to do the same thing, to give up, but I kept on reading an finally it works!

Just choose BJ7000 High quality image, Gutenprint. I will need to further adjust some parameters in the driver but trust me, it is worth to spend 15min doing this. The result, able to print in 600x600 and 300x300, the color is good, there is only some missing fractions of an inch to the right hand side but it is not so bothering after all. One remark though, the test page looks odd, but I printed a couple of pictures and they look acceptable to me. It is not so good as Windows driver may print, but for regular use, works for me.

Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Just thought I'd mention for other pixma users who come across this thread, that none of these driver combinations suggested work properly for me with my Canon Pixma IP3000 USB printer. Colour prints wrong or pages print quarter size.

I suggest the title of this thread be changed to something more appropriate such as "Partially working drivers for Canon iP3000". Unsuspecting thread browsers may be lead to believe there is a working "HOW TO:" in here. There isn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by mandy2tom View Post
    I have ip4000
    im using s630 driver works good
    Thank you so much.
    The S630 driver worked for me with my ip3000. After trying quite a few of them your tip worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by blackdalek
    Just thought I'd mention for other pixma users who come across this thread, that none of these driver combinations suggested work properly for me with my Canon Pixma IP3000 USB printer. Color prints wrong or pages print quarter size.
    This is another one of those Threads where some people say:

1. Thank you very much, it works great!!!

And others say:

2. What the "heck" are you talking about?
    The Color prints wrong!!!
    (of course, nobody responds to your claim, because it wouldn't look good to do so... unless you ask specifically for a response... only then the truth is revealed... and it is something like: "well I did NOT care for color printing at all... or ... I didn't notice that...)

And this is to be repeated "infinitely"!!!
    I sometimes wonder:

Are people getting paid to give misleading info on how things work, even though in reality they don't?

Quote Originally Posted by dvarsam
    Sorry man, but whenever I propose an improvement, I get the following response:

But things already work great the way they are!!!
    The world is fantastic & the earth is looking fit!

And I respond:

Really?
    Please tell me what program to use...?

And I get:

Sure, use either this program or that one...

And I response:

Sure, but how do you make it work?
    I am getting errors...
    I can't do this & can't do that...

Response:

NONE!!!
    Conclusion:
    * Ubuntu rocks & Everything is looking great!
    * There are programs with which you can do everything you want...
    * Everybody will suggest to you what programs to use...
    * And when you find that you are stuck in configuring your program & ask for help, everybody will be running for the "Emergency Exit"...!!!
    * IF you ever attempt to suggest an improvement for a program... it already exists! - don't bother to suggest anything!... use some suggested program, as it will always be much better compared to your suggestion for improvement... Your suggestion is too complicated & requires too much code, not to mention waste of resources, etc etc...
    * IF you try to use a suggested program & can't figure out why it is NOT working, and ask for help... don't bother to do so... cause everybody will be running for the "Emergency Exit"...!!!
    * You are back on your own again!
    * Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by blackdalek
    I suggest the title of this thread be changed to something more appropriate such as "Partially working drivers for Canon iP3000". Unsuspecting thread browsers may be lead to believe there is a working "HOW TO:" in here. There isn't.
    You wish!!!
    Everything is misleading in Linux...
    Its all marketing...
    Well, except one thing...
    That Linux is a more safe OS compared to Windows.
    At least we have something...
    It is like owning a car, but:

1. You can't play the Radio, cause it requires configuration
    2. You can't turn the steering wheel, cause it requires configuration
    3. You can't open the trunk, cause it requires configuration
    4. etc etc

Thank God:

5. You can put gas,
    6. And you are lucky your can only steer forward & backwards!

So, other than security, the rest still sucks...

Thanks.

P.S.> I know that by writing this, I will be thrown eggs/attacked instantly, but lets accept the plain truth, shall we?
    i want my Ubuntu to improve too - I hope it does NOT take ages though...
    Cause I will be looking at the world from "under-ground" by that time...
    Last edited by dvarsam; January 29th, 2007 at 02:07 PM.
    Moderation is very strong in these Forums.
    Soon you will find yourself not being able to create any posts.
    As a result, you will be "forced" to request a "delete my account."

this actually worked great for me in feisty fawn. it saw the canon pixma ip3000 with just a simple "add new printer" and i did not have to do any configs or add any miscellaneous drivers!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast