Thread: Beryl on OS X

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Beryl on OS X

or some sort of implementation of the same stuff. i realize this is a strange question to ask here, but i figured you guys are smart so....

is there any way to do the kind of stuff beryl does with os x?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Beryl on OS X

Some of the effects are inspired by effects found in OSX. The scale effect is equivalent to the Exposé effect from OSX and the magic lamp animation can be configured to look like the Genie effect also found in OSX.

As for running Beryl on OSX, interesting question. OSX doesn't use X, but it can run X programs. I'm not sure if a window manager would be possible to run in Apple's X11 implementation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

apple could add more effects to their quartz graphics system, but it is closed source so nobody else could.

it might be possible to install beryl if you installed a newer xorg onto mac os x (the apple X11 is quite old). then you could run X11 applications in beryl (but normal mac software like finder and itunes would not use it)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

cool. interesting info. i don't know how beryl works at all, so what you guys said makes sense now that i think about it.

i just wish apple would do some of the beryl effects. i have virtuedesktops to manage multiple desktops and i get the cube effect, but i want to be able to do the cool stuff!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by dmber View Post
    or some sort of implementation of the same stuff. i realize this is a strange question to ask here, but i figured you guys are smart so....

is there any way to do the kind of stuff beryl does with os x?
    A friend of mine compiled and runs Beryl on his Powerbook. It works great. Check the Beryl forums on how to do this. I think he had to do some funky stuff to get it working. It does work great though cube and all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My mom got Xorg working on OS X. I assume you can get Beryl working then.

Beans

moving to OS X forum