Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You know what's quite sad?

Beans

You know what's quite sad?

There seems to be no perfect distro, one that suits all my needs and does what I want it to do, i've tried almost everyone of the top distro's at Distrowatch and some of them had certain stuff i liked, but there wasn't one that had everything i like. I'm going to go through the main ones and tell me what YOU think.

Slackware:

Pros:Nice no ******* around install, very fast and stable and so far the fastest one to boot that i've tried. Most things seem to install from source easier, i dunno why.

Cons: No decent package manager, while it doesn't seem like much of a problem when you go to install something like VLC you'll run into a lot of problems, it's just too much of a pain to get it how you want it.

Fedora:

Pros: Really nice welcoming distro.

Cons: RPM

Debian:

Pros: Well, if there is any distro that comes the closest to my needs it's definetly debian. Loads of packages, easy to install all my Video and music apps without too much fuss. The net install almost let's you build everything how you want it.

Cons: Still seems out of date and i don't really like their release schedule.

Ubuntu:

Pros: Fast, easy to install and does most things out the box.

Cons: I feel it limits you to using gnome, you would have to go to a lot of hassle just to remove it.

Well that's it, out of all the distro's i've tried they feel like the only ones worth mentioning, there is still two distro's i want to try mainly being Archlinux and Gentoo which i still cannot seem to install. Gentoo really looks like something i would like, so it's quite a shame. So i'm just curious, do you think there is a perfect distro that suits almost all your needs? Oh and by the way, i've formatted 25 times in two weeks jumping from distro to distro and i can't sink my feet into any for longer than a day or two. I'm hoping the new debian stable will be really good, but for now i don't know what i'll do, maybe continue to distro hop?

I'm just intrested to see peoples opinions here and since this seems like the friendlist community, i wanted to discuss it here.

Beans

Re: You know what's quite sad?

Cons: I feel it limits you to using gnome, you would have to go to a lot of hassle just to remove it.
    Type "custom" at the initial CD-ROM boot prompt during the install. This will install only the base packages, after which you can install only what you need, using 'aptitude' or 'apt-get'.
    Last edited by the_clown; May 20th, 2005 at 10:39 PM.

Beans

Fedora has apt, yum smartpm &synaptic.

There are HUGH repositories out there for rpm based distros

dag wieers <-- over 30000 packages alone here
    freshrpms
    ATrpms
    jpackage

then again I use Fedora Core for my server So I know
    June 6th Fedora Core 4 release date!

Gentoo Hope you like compiling everything from source. the only good thing i can see from Gentoo is that there isn't a new version released it just keeps getting uipdated.
    Registered Linux User # 375813
    Want to see something cool?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by the_clown
    Type "custom" at the initial CD-ROM boot prompt during the install. This will install only the base packages, after which you can install only what you need, using 'aptitude' or 'apt-get'.
    Cheers, i'll try that out tonight on my new drive see if i feel more comfortable.

Maybe i'll try it again some other time, but for me it seemed quite hard still to get everything i wanted. Mind you, the only repository i had was freshrpms. I can't say i've given it a good testing.

Beans

i would not recommend gentoo ... 12 hours into a ~14 hour make cycle + portage error = more swearing than you can imagine. it does somethings well but there's just too many bugs (bleeding edge?) and it can be very frustrating, especially when the devs say "we dunno what's going on here, just install something similar instead..." ok i'll just use ubuntu then

if your only gripe with ubuntu is gnome why not try kubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Perfect distro: Linux from scratch.

Do I like it ? no. Could you like it ? probably. Negative aspects ? you.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome bettis
    i would not recommend gentoo ... 12 hours into a ~14 hour make cycle + portage error = more swearing than you can imagine. it does somethings well but there's just too many bugs (bleeding edge?) and it can be very frustrating, especially when the devs say "we dunno what's going on here, just install something similar instead..." ok i'll just use ubuntu then

if your only gripe with ubuntu is gnome why not try kubuntu?
    Not a big KDE fan, i'm more into Fluxbox. Just put my new harddrive in, and now my dvd writter has gone kinda crazy and is making lot's of noise, i didn't even touch it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Too bad you havent tried ArchLinux. It installs similar to slackware but has one of the best package managers with dependency checking ... and since it does recursive uninstalls, you can intall KDE and GNOME to choose which you like, then recursively uninstall the entire KDE in one command.

Just like slackware you get just a base command prompt, and if you want gnome you just pacman -S gnome which will install gnome 2.10.1 along with xorg and everything you need.

If you want OpenOffice 2 ... just pacman -S openoffice2.

Greatest thing about arch is when you pacman -S mplayer, you get mplayer along with all of its dependencies AND the full win32 codec pack all of a sudden. No messing around with crap ... if you want to play wmv files, you just pacman -S mplayer and you are done codec and all .. simple.

Arch Linux is by far the most perfect distro out there if you know what programs you want and attempt to learn pacman. I still recommend Ubuntu to the complete beginners though, or people who dont have a good Internet connection.

OH ... and they (arch) even has a tool called hwd that can detect all of your hardware and create howtos on the fly for exactly how you should configure just about all of your hardware, and not just examples ... its tailored to your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe
    There seems to be no perfect distro, one that suits all my needs and does what I want it to do, i've tried almost everyone of the top distro's at Distrowatch and some of them had certain stuff i liked, but there wasn't one that had everything i like. I'm going to go through the main ones and tell me what YOU think.

Slackware:

Pros:Nice no ******* around install, very fast and stable and so far the fastest one to boot that i've tried. Most things seem to install from source easier, i dunno why.

Cons: No decent package manager, while it doesn't seem like much of a problem when you go to install something like VLC you'll run into a lot of problems, it's just too much of a pain to get it how you want it.

Fedora:

Pros: Really nice welcoming distro.

Cons: RPM

Debian:

Pros: Well, if there is any distro that comes the closest to my needs it's definetly debian. Loads of packages, easy to install all my Video and music apps without too much fuss. The net install almost let's you build everything how you want it.

Cons: Still seems out of date and i don't really like their release schedule.

Ubuntu:

Pros: Fast, easy to install and does most things out the box.

Well that's it, out of all the distro's i've tried they feel like the only ones worth mentioning, there is still two distro's i want to try mainly being Archlinux and Gentoo which i still cannot seem to install. Gentoo really looks like something i would like, so it's quite a shame. So i'm just curious, do you think there is a perfect distro that suits almost all your needs? Oh and by the way, i've formatted 25 times in two weeks jumping from distro to distro and i can't sink my feet into any for longer than a day or two. I'm hoping the new debian stable will be really good, but for now i don't know what i'll do, maybe continue to distro hop?

I'm just intrested to see peoples opinions here and since this seems like the friendlist community, i wanted to discuss it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Problem with Fedora Core is if you want things like mplayer WITH win32 codecs, mp3 playback and ability to play DVD movies you have to research and add repositories ... not to mention the installation of apt.

In ArchLinux ... you just pacman -S mplayer to get everything including DVD playback without repository hunting

And out of all of the other distros, it has the most up-to-date packages including OpenOffice2.

Quote Originally Posted by testingubuntu

There are HUGH repositories out there for rpm based distros

dag wieers <-- over 30000 packages alone here
    freshrpms
    ATrpms
    jpackage

then again I use Fedora Core for my server So I know
    June 6th Fedora Core 4 release date!

Gentoo Hope you like compiling everything from source. the only good thing i can see from Gentoo is that there isn't a new version released it just keeps getting uipdated.

Beans

All of the distributions you've named were not made for you. Therefore, in your eyes they will not be perfect. If you want a perfect distro, make one yourself. Otherwise use whats there.

I like compiling from source(best way IMO), so I use Gentoo often. Everyone doesn't appreciate software specifically for their systems, so Gentoo wouldn't be a choice.
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast