View Poll Results: what virtualization tool will be the winner from the desktop point of view?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • xen

4 12.50%
  • kvm

17 53.13%
  • vmware

11 34.38%
  • virtualbox

6 18.75%
  • parallels

4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the virtualization future

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question the virtualization future

Hey guys,

what is your vision of virtualization future for linux? what will be the standard virtualization tool for ubuntu feisty w/ 2.6.20 kernel?

why such fresh and unstable thing like kvm is already a part of mainstream kernel?

where will we get 3d acceleration and the most impressive speed?

who will be the winner for the desktop virtualization: xen, kvm, vmware, virtualbox, parallels?

thank you guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: the virtualization future

This could be a very interesting thread...it's best suited for the cafe so I'm moving it there.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

I have never thought much about virtualization even though it is supposed to be the next big "thing".
    I don't think Feisty will be focused on that, since Feisty is more focused on eye candy and easy codec installation. Maybe the one after that will be focused on virtualization once there are processors out that speed up the process of processing virtualization type of code(Meaning that Mac OS will run almost as fast in a virtualization software package as it would if it was installed to your hard drive).
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

tbh i dont see what advantages it has in a home user's environment. Its great for servers etc, but dont see the big advantage for a home user at all.

Can some one enlighten me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

ok, got it.

and what for the overall virtualization trends and it's future? who is gonna present 3d acceleration and an amazing speed? i mean not only ubuntu branch.

Quote Originally Posted by aPello View Post
    tbh i dont see what advantages it has in a home user's environment. Its great for servers etc, but dont see the big advantage for a home user at all.

i guess there are lots of us who wants to get compiz/beryl 3d-cube with linux, windows and mac os on it . am i right, fellows?

if you are a gamer then w/ virtualization tools you can forget dual-boot nightmare and play windows games w/ no problem (when we will get 3d acceleration).

if you are a software developer/web-developer you can develop, debug, test your projects in different operating systems.

if you are working w/ multimedia then w/ virtualization you can continue using your favorite professional software that is running windows or mac os.

i think, virtualization is a really great stuff even for the desktop application.
    Last edited by dmee; February 10th, 2007 at 05:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Some might be forced to run software that only works on Windows and therefore they would need to run a virtual machine.

Also what about kqemu? It's finally gone open-source
    "Total paranoia is just total awareness." - Charles Manson

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I read an article a little while back about gaming on Linux and apparently vmware already has partial 3d acceleration support they had a screen shot of The Sims running under vmware. The article stated it was still in experimental stages but could be turned on easily by adding a line to a file. I don't know how old the article was so it could be even farther along now or scrapped who knows.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such government [...]"
    —Declaration of Independence

Beans

I've used vmplayer, Qemu and VirtualBox.

I started with Qemu. Qemu is slower than the others, but can emulate other architectures and runs on many different host systems, which was important when I was still using BSD's. vmplayer is what I use now. It's fast and supports many different guest OSs. VirtualBox has so far been useless for me. I tested 4 OSs with it: OpenBSD, Knoppix, Syllable and Sabayon. Only Knoppix would boot, I guess it needs still some time to mature.

I use emulation mostly for porting my project. With vmplayer compiling in a guest OS is still reasonable fast and so a good way to test my code on many different systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by pay View Post
    Some might be forced to run software that only works on Windows and therefore they would need to run a virtual machine.

Also what about kqemu? It's finally gone open-source
    I think kqemu is not a competitor to kvm because the latter is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rick- View Post
    With vmplayer compiling in a guest OS is still reasonable fast and so a good way to test my code on many different systems.
    How can you estimate vmware player's speed in comparison to native system?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The immediate big advantage for Linux desktop users is that virtualisation enables you to run a Windoze client at the same time as running your Linux desktop. No need for dual-booting.

I voted for kvm, simply because it's going to be in the next Linux kernel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast