Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Game for Women - elements & ideas

Beans

Lightbulb A Game for Women - elements & ideas

I'm creating this thread in order to gather together some gaming elements and ideas to flesh out what would be a good gaming "genre" or an actual game for Women.

So far, very little attention has been paid to us, in general, in the gaming community, and I'd like to plant some seeds for change.

So... give me your thoughts! Tell me what you like about this game or that game, what you like about board games or card games, ideas you've created, etc.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: A Game for Women - elements & ideas

Are you starting a game project yourself? I sense another 3rd party sub

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    Are you starting a game project yourself? I sense another 3rd party sub
    Well, it might make more sense to move this area down to the beginner's sub-section of the main page - and then add it's own sub-forum... but that's more of a mod/admin type of thought we can discuss elsewhere...

But yeah, I thought I might develop at least a storyboard for a Women's game.
    official ubuntu member

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kassetra
    I'm creating this thread in order to gather together some gaming elements and ideas to flesh out what would be a good gaming "genre" or an actual game for Women.
    Doesn't it depend on the woman? Not all male gamers are the same; some prefer RPGs, some prefer shoot 'em ups, other prefer platformers. Why should it be different for women? I'll use my wife as an example: she'll play puzzle games online, but she'll also play one of my Final Fantasy games (She particularly likes Final Fantasy X-2, and we laugh at the fan service), and will even play Ratchet & Clank, though extended play makes her queasy. Based on that, I'd say that some women appreciate either a puzzle or a story to engage her brain and not just her trigger finger.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

Some elements of games I like:

From the Myst games:
    I like the "environmental immersion" with fantastical plants, animals, sounds, and even music - and the fact that you can "explore" somewhat.

From Creatures:
    I like the fact that there is an ecology, animals, dna, plants, etc. that all work together to create the environment.

Some elements I wish either of those games had:
    I would like to be able to interact with the plants/animals more than just the ones that are the "main characters" of the storyline...

It would be nice if I could develop my own worlds, possibly, with maybe my own animal breeds/plants, etc. Or at least take different ones out of a stock and try to create a living area/biosphere type thing.
    official ubuntu member

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Eyes
    Doesn't it depend on the woman? Not all male gamers are the same; some prefer RPGs, some prefer shoot 'em ups, other prefer platformers. Why should it be different for women? I'll use my wife as an example: she'll play puzzle games online, but she'll also play one of my Final Fantasy games (She particularly likes Final Fantasy X-2, and we laugh at the fan service), and will even play Ratchet & Clank, though extended play makes her queasy. Based on that, I'd say that some women appreciate either a puzzle or a story to engage her brain and not just her trigger finger.
    That's exactly why I want to gather game elements and ideas. I want to see what's missing in games we do play, or what spectrum of game ideas we would like to see.
    official ubuntu member

Beans

Well, based on observation, my mom and my girlfriend love rewarding puzzle games the best. But both complain if (when) they win and they aren't treated to some sort of visual celebration. My mom's favorite thing about Tetris (a game that would make her a hardcore gamer if you just counted the hours she has played) is that she gets rocket ships when she completes something. So based on this very small evidence, I think any such game needs to have rewarding goals.

I think the idea of this thread. I'll try to get my girlfriend to create a user account and give her ideas...
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Well, based on observation, my mom and my girlfriend love rewarding puzzle games the best. But both complain if (when) they win and they aren't treated to some sort of visual celebration.

I think the idea of this thread. I'll try to get my girlfriend to create a user account and give her ideas...
    Rewarding Goals/Visual Celebration. Yeah, I agree with that. That actually gives me a kind of cool idea...

What if when you won each section - you got a free wallper, video, or mp3 track or something like that? Hmmm...

But yeah, see if your girlfriend will post some of her ideas here! That would be cool.
    official ubuntu member

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by kassetra
    Rewarding Goals/Visual Celebration. Yeah, I agree with that. That actually gives me a kind of cool idea...

What if when you won each section - you got a free wallper, video, or mp3 track or something like that? Hmmm...

But yeah, see if your girlfriend will post some of her ideas here! That would be cool.
    For me, personally, this is a difficult question to answer because I don't think I fall into the stereotypical category that a lot of women do. Hmm...I'm trying to say this without being offensive at all (that's not intended), but I'm not into fashion, shopping, cooking or indeed The Sims. And I'd rather be bought a graphics card than a piece of expensive jewellery.

I've been an avid gamer for many years but I've never really thought of games being intended for one sex or the other (with the possible exception of shoot 'em ups). My favourite genre of games is RPG's, or better, MMORPG's. I find it difficult to pinpoint what exactly I like about a game, but I'll have a shot at it.

Visuals aren't necessarily important to me (hey, I played Ultima Online for 4 years), I'd prefer good gameplay over snazzy effects - though it's great when you get both of course.

I think perhaps it might be a little bit too general to just ask 'what games do women want'? After all, there are lots of games out there already that attract female gamers.

On the goals idea - I'm not sure about this. I can say that when I'm playing an MMORPG I don't play to reach a specific goal. I like games that are open ended and the freedom that brings with it. I like to be able to use my imagination in a game rather than be told you must go to point A, then to B, then to C etc.

One thing I can definately say is that I prefer games that use your mind rather than physical skills like shooting. Perhaps that's the most obvious gender difference I can pinpoint in gaming (and even that doesn't necessarily mean all women/men will be the same of course). Strategy games can be equally appealing to me here, though I'll admit I generally end up cheating because I eventually get a little frustrated with them.

An aspect of both genres I like is money making - whether using trade skills to sell goods to players in an MMORPG, or trading between towns/villages/countries in a strategy game. I got quite a name for myself as a crafter in almost every MMORPG I've played. I used to love keeping a virtual shop in Ultima Online, that took up probably 70% of my gameplay with the rest being devoted to a roleplaying guild.

I don't know if my thoughts have helped any, I sometimes think I'm a bit of an oddity amongst my sex.

Difficult question, and one I'm sure games developers find equally difficult.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith_
    but I'm not into fashion, shopping, cooking or indeed The Sims. And I'd rather be bought a graphics card than a piece of expensive jewellery.

My favourite genre of games is RPG's, or better, MMORPG's.

I don't play to reach a specific goal. I like games that are open ended and the freedom that brings with it. I like to be able to use my imagination in a game rather than be told you must go to point A, then to B, then to C etc.

One thing I can definately say is that I prefer games that use your mind rather than physical skills like shooting.

An aspect of both genres I like is money making - whether using trade skills to sell goods to players in an MMORPG, or trading between towns/villages/countries in a strategy game.
    Good points, all around. Expensive graphics cards *ARE* jewelry! Jewelry for my screen!

Hmmm, it would seem that your preferences are for "getting into character" types of game-play - which requires a lot of imagination / mental use...

So for you - your rewards (rather than goals) are using your mind and trading/selling/money-making...
    official ubuntu member

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast