Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What text editor for LaTeX?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What text editor for LaTeX?

Since no-one has mentioned it yet,
    I just have to put in a word for winefish!
    It's in the repositories,
    doesn't have much fuss, has a good spell chekc, which actually recognises commands (although not options), and has, the most important for me, a big window. No stuff around, which keeps you away from the actual document!

But you need to know how to write in Latex already for it, I gues...

PS: And the logo is the cutest of them all!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Agreeing here with eljalill, I'm also using winefish which is available via repos!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Krimi View Post
    I've written many scientifical reports with LaTeX, but in win.
    I've used MiKTeX + Texnic Center..
    What whould be equivalent (better ) in Linux to these two??
    I'd say that you should install the TEX packages; texlive,-base and -common. And install Kile, Kile looks very similar to Texnic Center I'd say.

Boath in repo. Just download and have a look.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

vim + vim latex suite
    mostly harmless
    8)
    GS d- s+: a-- C++ UL P L++ E--- W++ N o K w+ O- M- V- PS- PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++++ DI- D++G e+++ h-- r-- y-

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slaanco View Post
    vim + vim latex suite
    What is the vim latex suite? I do my latex in vim but I have been too lazy to learn how to streamline it. I still do it like I learned it oh so many years ago: exit the editor, run latex, run one of the dvi conversion routines, then view it in the appropriate viewer. I know there are better ways to do it, but I just stick with what I've been doing (also, I don't bother looking at the compiled product very often, so I don't need that near-WYSIWYG functionality).

Beans

The original poster said "I decided to use LaTeX". I guess then your not totally fluent in latex. In that case Lyx is a great option as it has a gentle learning curve. Plus you don't have to stop writing all the time to look up how to do that thing you want to do.

That said having learnt latex now im happy to use other editors now. In fact I was playing with winefish earlier and the minimalist look is very pleasing I may switch to that for a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by hubie View Post
    What is the vim latex suite? I do my latex in vim but I have been too lazy to learn how to streamline it. I still do it like I learned it oh so many years ago: exit the editor, run latex, run one of the dvi conversion routines, then view it in the appropriate viewer. I know there are better ways to do it, but I just stick with what I've been doing (also, I don't bother looking at the compiled product very often, so I don't need that near-WYSIWYG functionality).
    The vim latex suite is an ftplugin for gvim, it's in hardy's repos. It has some neat functionalities, like document templates, streamlined .tex compiling, lots of keyboard shortcuts, new menus... it also detects all the tex packages you have installed and makes them accessible to you via a nice GUI menu. Oh, and also, it has this tooltip feature when you want to add references to indexes, it shows a list of the available options.
    I know it has much more, but that's all I know for now.

Here's a link to the plugin's page: http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php

Beans

when i started using latex (and was clueless). i went with the editor of choice (vim) and downloaded 'the not so short introduction to latex' from the web, its the best latex reference manual ive seen. and helps you get started.

about the editor. use whatever you wish, shouldnt make a difference.

ive set up a small script to build and preview my documents:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    latex $1.tex
    latex $1.tex
    dvipdf $1.dvi
    evince $1.pdf &
    run with:
    Code:
    $ ./compile file
    where your latex file is called file.tex

Beans
    Hidden!

Unfortunately the latex-suite for vim is a bit undermaintained. My issue with it is that its compilation output window (i.e. quickfix list) is very poorly parsed and not pretty.
    So I use latex-suite for the handy shortcuts and then simply the rubber package to compile. Rubber does a good job of cleanly extracting the important warnings and errors from the log.
    Latex-suite is neat because of the shortcuts. One example is EFI, just type these letters and they will expand to a figure env with fields to fill in.

Beans

I also had issues with latex-suite last time I tried it. Sometimes it is magical, sometimes simple cut-n-paste causes nightmares, with added unwanted stuff(especially lots of $ signs if I remember right). I think some of the problem is the rather complex nature of vim these days, with the latex-suite needing for editing sometimes non-intuitive .vimrc and plugin files in different directories.

These days I stick with normal vi or gedit+latex-plugin. The latter is quite nice actually.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast