Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uninstall Evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Uninstall Evolution

I have edgy. I use Thunderbird so I would like to uninstall evolution. But when I select it for removal in synaptic, a list of other packages comes up that will be uninstalled as well, including ubuntu-desktop.

This has happened to me once before, where I tried to uninstall some application and ubuntu-desktop was selected for removal as well. I thought at the time, well, there's no way that means the actual ubuntu desktop. But yes, it was. I lost everything. Luckily it was a new install (which is why I wasn't more cautious).

So, what can I do to uninstall evolution?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Uninstall Evolution

Hello,
    ubuntu-desktop is a meta-package, that ties up whole packages of a release via dependencies. That said, if you remove just one of these packages (evolution), dependencies are broken and ubuntu-desktop gets removed.
    By itself, ubuntu-desktop can safely be removed, but this can be a problem on upgrades for ex, and on dist-upgrades. What happened to you, was probably because of other packages that were removed at the same time.

So, if you are not running low on space, just keep evolution, and keep ubuntu-desktop. Just remove evolution from the menu, if you wish.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!

You could run for the senate with an answer like that.

There is a way to either modify the ubuntu desktop package or create a script to make a fake evolution package, i have the same issue, and will be getting rid of evolution this week.

I understand that this also isn't an answer, but i am saying don't give up and "just keep evolution".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@ miaviator278: yes, I know this is not much of an answer :/
    You may me interested in checking that thread out
    http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-d.../msg00090.html
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My Evolution is corrupted to the limit. Every time I open it, it gets stuck on "formatting" (for the gmail account), then gives me the option to wait or force quit. It even crashes my computer if I start it up. Wow I wish I could uninstall this junk.

<revision>
    That was related to a conflict with a mousegestures add-on in FF. Evolution is up and going now.
    Last edited by Ian Clark; May 7th, 2008 at 09:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Clark View Post
    My Evolution is corrupted to the limit. Every time I open it, it gets stuck on "formatting" (for the gmail account), then gives me the option to wait or force quit. It even crashes my computer if I start it up. Wow I wish I could uninstall this junk.

<revision>
    That was related to a conflict with a mousegestures add-on in FF. Evolution is up and going now.
    Try deleting the .evolution folder in your home directory. This will eliminate the gmail format loading.
    For All Things Dell Mini 9: http://www.ubuntumini.com
    For All Things Dell 1501: http://www.ubuntu1501.com
    Installing Ubuntu, wireless setup, tips, tricks, hacks and workarounds.
    Rock 'n Roll isn't Dead, It Just Lives in My Head.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

.evolution resurrected

Tried that, but when hitting send/receive to get into my gmail box, it hangs for five minutes on "fetching summary information for new messages in INBOX", then hangs forever (gets stuck) on "filtering new messages". Evolution at this point is totally useless. Furthermore, I check my home folder, and the .evolution folder has been recreated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: .evolution resurrected

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Clark View Post
    Tried that, but when hitting send/receive to get into my gmail box, it hangs for five minutes on "fetching summary information for new messages in INBOX", then hangs forever (gets stuck) on "filtering new messages". Evolution at this point is totally useless. Furthermore, I check my home folder, and the .evolution folder has been recreated.
    Every time you open Evolution it will re-create that folder if it's not there.

Beans

It's still redundant to have two mail clients on the same system, especially if you don't plan to use both.

I personally prefer Thunderbird to Evolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by m-p{3} View Post
    It's still redundant to have two mail clients on the same system, especially if you don't plan to use both.

I personally prefer Thunderbird to Evolution.
    Perhaps it has something to do with China. I tried Thunderbird as well, and getting the mail times out with that, too (while going to the gmail website gets me in very quickly). I know there are webcop issues here, and previously I couldn't get into Gmail from my home computer - even on the official website, though it was fast on my work computer. Hmmm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast