Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just tried openSUSE 10.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Just tried openSUSE 10.2

I wanted to go that way but the install process failed several times. Did you have problems installing at all? It would get to installing Suse files then "freeze". Ubuntu does not have a problem on this machine like Suse does.
    What a shame.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by tstrowd View Post
    I wanted to go that way but the install process failed several times. Did you have problems installing at all? It would get to installing Suse files then "freeze". Ubuntu does not have a problem on this machine like Suse does.
    What a shame.
    Your issue could be a number of things not directly related to Suse.

Have you checked the md5 for your CD to verify that the burn and the iso are good?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    I've really been impressed by Novell's offerings consistently. It's that god-awful package manager that has thrown me off and turned me to something else every time. Have they fixed that?

Also, how is driver support and so forth in this new release? I look forward to testing it.
    Very nice desktop, but I have to agree about the package manager. I didn't understand all those networking questions during the install - I just accepted all the defaults (I have a wired network with a D-Link router and cable modem). What's funny is my system failed the connect test during installation. In frustration, I clicked on it a number of times and it started to download stuff and I was able to connect ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I switched from ubuntu (kubuntu actually) to openSUSE a few months ago and haven't looked back. I've tried most of the KDE-centric distros over the last couple years and openSUSE has been the best for me.

All of my hardware was detected and configured perfectly on install (your mileage may vary). Nvidia drivers (7800 GT) were a piece of cake. No hand editing of xorg.conf and other rubbish. I installed them and they worked perfectly. Took me 60 seconds.

It came with Sun Java, Flash, and mscorefonts preinstalled (DVD download does this). It took me 5 mins to install Azureus and w32codecs and I was good to go for the most part. SUSE's graphical tools (YAST) are just great. I've never used CLI to configure anything in SUSE (Flame on, CLI lovers. I couldn't care less whether or not you approve.)

What really impressed me about SUSE compared to Ubuntu was that SUSE seems very aware that it's users expect things like vid drivers, java, flash, ms codecs/fonts etc., and they make it very easy and painless to obtain them.

A few posters have complained about YAST's package manager. Everything they say is true. It sucks compared to synaptic. However, SMART is easy to install and works in a very similar fashion to synaptic. I continue to use YAST package management. Why? Because it works fine (just slow) and I don't use it often. I've got everything I need installed, and with openSUSE 10.2, ZENworks takes care of all my updates. ZEN was broken in 10.1, but works perfectly on my 10.2 setup.

I don't dislike ubuntu at all, I just think they need to raise the bar a bit. The last couple releases have not addressed many of the biggest beefs that people have with ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Segovia View Post
    I switched from ubuntu (kubuntu actually) to openSUSE a few months ago and haven't looked back. I've tried most of the KDE-centric distros over the last couple years and openSUSE has been the best for me.

All of my hardware was detected and configured perfectly on install (your mileage may vary). Nvidia drivers (7800 GT) were a piece of cake. No hand editing of xorg.conf and other rubbish. I installed them and they worked perfectly. Took me 60 seconds.

It came with Sun Java, Flash, and mscorefonts preinstalled (DVD download does this). It took me 5 mins to install Azureus and w32codecs and I was good to go for the most part. SUSE's graphical tools (YAST) are just great. I've never used CLI to configure anything in SUSE (Flame on, CLI lovers. I couldn't care less whether or not you approve.)

What really impressed me about SUSE compared to Ubuntu was that SUSE seems very aware that it's users expect things like vid drivers, java, flash, ms codecs/fonts etc., and they make it very easy and painless to obtain them.

A few posters have complained about YAST's package manager. Everything they say is true. It sucks compared to synaptic. However, SMART is easy to install and works in a very similar fashion to synaptic. I continue to use YAST package management. Why? Because it works fine (just slow) and I don't use it often. I've got everything I need installed, and with openSUSE 10.2, ZENworks takes care of all my updates. ZEN was broken in 10.1, but works perfectly on my 10.2 setup.

I don't dislike ubuntu at all, I just think they need to raise the bar a bit. The last couple releases have not addressed many of the biggest beefs that people have with ubuntu.
    So true. OpenSuse 10.2 is a milestone release, it really sets a new standard in quality and professionalism in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    Your issue could be a number of things not directly related to Suse.

Have you checked the md5 for your CD to verify that the burn and the iso are good?
    Of course. Ran the MD5 hash check on all 5 Suse 10.1 and 10.2 cd's.
    They all said match!
    This is a strange problem because i had switched to 2 completely different machines with the same results. I really wanted to try Suse because i had heard of the active directory integration was much easier.
    The posts earlier in this thead for active directory links i have tried and they do not work. For instance one of the links says to run Wbinfo to list users. Wbinfo does not exist on this machine.
    Installing KRB5 like it says IS NOT and option. The list goes on and on for dead ends for active directory.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by tstrowd View Post
    Of course. Ran the MD5 hash check on all 5 Suse 10.1 and 10.2 cd's.
    They all said match!
    This is a strange problem because i had switched to 2 completely different machines with the same results. I really wanted to try Suse because i had heard of the active directory integration was much easier.
    The posts earlier in this thead for active directory links i have tried and they do not work. For instance one of the links says to run Wbinfo to list users. Wbinfo does not exist on this machine.
    Installing KRB5 like it says IS NOT and option. The list goes on and on for dead ends for active directory.
    Did you burn the CDs at a slow speed? (as close to x1 as possible)

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I installed today openSUSE 10.2 on my pc, on the second HD and I think I'm going to format the partition very soon. Nice desktop, but the package manager is a pain in the ***... I've lost 1h to succesfully install nvidia 3d drivers and I think I'm gonna loose my time with suse anymore.

I'm still looking for a good kde centric distro (I don't like kubuntu, I'm now running ubuntu with kde-core installed).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: Just tried openSUSE 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by kenetics View Post
    Very nice desktop, but I have to agree about the package manager. I didn't understand all those networking questions during the install - I just accepted all the defaults (I have a wired network with a D-Link router and cable modem). What's funny is my system failed the connect test during installation. In frustration, I clicked on it a number of times and it started to download stuff and I was able to connect ok.
    Hi, Just wondering what do you mean by nice desktop? Is it that the default theme and selection of applications is very nice, or its something else? I am just trying to have an idea if I should try Suse 10.2 or not If you (or anyone else) can be more specific about the additive features/benefits that you see in Suse 10.2 then that may be helpful.

Jabran

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Jabran Asghar View Post
    Hi, Just wondering what do you mean by nice desktop? Is it that the default theme and selection of applications is very nice, or its something else? I am just trying to have an idea if I should try Suse 10.2 or not If you (or anyone else) can be more specific about the additive features/benefits that you see in Suse 10.2 then that may be helpful.

Jabran
    For nice desktop I mean a nice default theme. Application selection is not special, I link kerry in the taskbar by default. The new KMenu is very good. The rest is not as good, expecially the package manager...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast