Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

BobSongs and others who may be interested: with my last post or two in this thread I instructed an alternative approach, and not only did it work very well, I was able to save a few DVDs by putting a couple of the smaller repos like Restricted and Multiverse onto one DVD along with a portion of Main which would've taken up a separate CD or DVD! The previous way I had always made Ubuntu Repo DVDs was by following the method outlined by BobSongs, which still works great, but by altering the process as I describe in one or two of my posts in this thread, you are able to SAVE on DVD media, without having to burn a DVD of mostly wasted space and instead combining a few of the smaller repos together with any spill-over from another repo which would otherwise require another blank media CD or DVD!

If you want to conserve on blank media, give my method a try.

Beans

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by jocose View Post
    BobSongs and others who may be interested: with my last post or two in this thread I instructed an alternative approach, and not only did it work very well, I was able to save a few DVDs by putting a couple of the smaller repos like Restricted and Multiverse onto one DVD along with a portion of Main which would've taken up a separate CD or DVD! The previous way I had always made Ubuntu Repo DVDs was by following the method outlined by BobSongs, which still works great, but by altering the process as I describe in one or two of my posts in this thread, you are able to SAVE on DVD media, without having to burn a DVD of mostly wasted space and instead combining a few of the smaller repos together with any spill-over from another repo which would otherwise require another blank media CD or DVD!

If you want to conserve on blank media, give my method a try.
    I'm sorry to hear Firefox froze on you at an inopportune moment. I tell you what, jocose: I'll put a link to this post in my tutorial. However, if you PM me with instructions in approximately the same way I write them, I'll add them to the main body of the tutorial.

I'm zealous for clarity of text and layout. I find it helps new users to follow instructions without a hitch. (If the instructions are unclear then people continually ask the same questions for the sake of clarity... no fun).

I don't currently have a set of the repositories on my HDD, so I cannot test the additional commands at the moment. So I will be relying on you for a careful step-by-step walk-through (should you decide to accept the mission).
    Last edited by BobSongs; July 2nd, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello,
    Thank you for this excellent tutorial. You can try to download Google repository:
    Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=dl.google.com --root=linux/deb/ --method=http --progress --dist=stable --section=non-free --arch=i386 ~/GoogleRepos --ignore-release-gpg
    It worked for me (30,8 MB [32 328 737 bytes downloaded] - picasa and google-desktop).

Beans

This will now be integrated into the main tutorial.

30 Mb isn't exactly drowning in data, but it's forever for a dial-up connection.

Good call. Keep 'em coming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

BobSongs, thanx for good tutorial

BTW, debpartial now is dropped:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=374107
    RM: debpartial -- RoQA; very old, low user count, orphaned

I look to debian-cd package- way to create official CD/DVD images.
    http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#diy

Seems role of debpartial plays tools/make_disc_trees.pl programm.

With Ubuntu 8.04 and debpartial I got 6 DVD .iso in sizes 3.8Gb, 4.0Gb, 4.1Gb....780mb *I invoce debpartial with --size 4600000). I will try --size DVD later of cause. But I'm interesting way to more precision way to fill DVD fully.
    Last edited by asashnov; July 23rd, 2008 at 04:52 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by asashnov View Post
    BobSongs, thanx for good tutorial
    From everyone who worked to make this tutorial: you're very, very welcome!

BTW, debpartial now is dropped:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=374107
    RM: debpartial -- RoQA; very old, low user count, orphaned
    Hmm. Not very good. I have saved a copy of this file and will keep it available. If Canonical abandons it I will make it available for download. Thank you very much for informing me.

I look to debian-cd package- way to create official CD/DVD images.
    http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#diy
    Thank you for the link. It is good. I will add it to the main tutorial for reference. You are very kind.

Seems role of debpartial plays tools/make_disc_trees.pl programm.

With Ubuntu 8.04 and debpartial I got 6 DVD .iso in sizes 3.8Gb, 4.0Gb, 4.1Gb....780mb *I invoce debpartial with --size 4600000). I will try --size DVD later of cause. But I'm interesting way to more precision way to fill DVD fully.
    I am surprised that debpartial did not do a better job of filling the DVDs fully for you. Normally it does a very good job of filling the DVDs fully. Let me see what I can do to get each DVD filled correctly.

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

asashnov:
    Concerning http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=374107, I've read through it and here is the general summing up of what is said:

Matej Vela who works with Debian Linux stated that Masato Taruishi was the maintainer of the project. But it was abandoned. The request was made for someone to "adopt" or take over the project.

Abu Zaher has take up the project from this point (Yay!).

So, for the time being all is well. No need for alarm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bobsongs,

Thanks so much for the help tonight after finding the medibuntu repos had changed. People like you are why I love the Linux community and try to give back when I can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have no internet or highspeed on your pc that you are trying to install packages on, you could try my new project Keryx. It allows you to download the packages easily onto a USB drive and then take them back to your Ubuntu computer. I'm looking for testers for it, please come try it out! http://keryx.betaserver.org

Thanks a lot for this tutorial! I used it on a gradeschool network that we are using Xubuntu on and i will be mirroring the repositories to the local server we have so that it will be easier for the administrators especially if they need to reinstall xubuntu on a new computer or something. Thanks again!
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BobSongs View Post
    jocose: I'll put a link to this post in my tutorial. However, if you PM me with instructions in approximately the same way I write them, I'll add them to the main body of the tutorial.
    Hi Bob, thanks for the reply and invitation. However, I don't have the time at the moment to go through it all again and document the step-by-step process as you're requesting. I would enjoy doing this in the future, but I may not be doing it until 2010, since I'm sticking with the current LTS Ubuntu version. Should I decide to grab the next version of Ubuntu when it's released as Final, and do this again, I'll gladly post the process. With the way I do it, I can fit several portions of the repos on DVDs to fill the space, rather than sticking Multiverse, Restricted, and part of Main on a small amount of individual DVDs. (which is a waste of blank DVDs in my opinion)

Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast