Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by BobSongs View Post
    Tell you what: give me the UbuntuStudio and Google repository links and I'll add them to the FAQ with Canonical Commercial and MediBuntu.
    Google's deb line: deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free
    Ubuntu Studio doesn't seem to do a repo anymore, they did with Feisty but it was removed when Gutsy come out. Now to do Gusty you just go to their site and follow the apt-get instructions.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    Google's deb line: deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free
    Ubuntu Studio doesn't seem to do a repo anymore, they did with Feisty but it was removed when Gutsy come out. Now to do Gusty you just go to their site and follow the apt-get instructions.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.
    Hey: no hassles. I don't check this tutorial out too often simply because many good folks like yourself have contributed to it making it fairly air-tight. The FAQs answer many of the niggling questions people have.

Also: this isn't one of those incredibly important threads like: "How to Restore Grub when it gets All Screwed Up". People who drop in on those threads are usually there because they're trying to "put out a fire", so to speak. I mean: compared to one's GrUB being messed up... a massive download is not terribly exciting.

But adding more repositories to my FAQ is more a mental challenge for me. I just hope to put enough into my tutorial to make it really rich, albeit not everyone's cup of tea. But when one is drawn to it one finds everything there. That's immensely satisfying for me.

Note: I did some research on the Google repositories. I found a link to Feisty Fawn repos, but the link failed as far as the browser is concerned. So I imagine more work will be required before finding them to add them.

Many thanks for the effort! Your link is what I found too. So, I'll take up my magnifying glass, I'll call Dr. Watson and off we'll go to find more repositories.
    Last edited by BobSongs; February 15th, 2008 at 07:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Here is a link to an SIL repository that I would really like to download and put on to my hard drive. In this folder they have all the Ubuntu varieties from Breezy to Hardy and even Debian Etch, Sarge and Sid.

http://packages.sil.org/ubuntu/dists/

I use to use SIL software for work and uni and up till a few weeks ago I didn't know they supplied programs for Linux that could be considered viable Windows alternatives. I have also heard they are working on their major software suite for Linux users.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    Here is a link to an SIL repository that I would really like to download and put on to my hard drive. In this folder they have all the Ubuntu varieties from Breezy to Hardy and even Debian Etch, Sarge and Sid.

http://packages.sil.org/ubuntu/dists/

I use to use SIL software for work and uni and up till a few weeks ago I didn't know they supplied programs for Linux that could be considered viable Windows alternatives. I have also heard they are working on their major software suite for Linux users.
    COoOol. I'll get to work immediately to figure out how to download the repositories.

Thanks for the link.

Edit: OK. I did my homework. There's a problem and there's a solution.

problem
    The host (packages.sil.org) has not created a set of files debmirror requires for download. These files are Packages and Packages.gpg. The Packages file lists the names of the available packages for download. The Packages.gpg file confirms the size of the Packages file to ensure it is the right size and so forth. This is the error debmirror throws:
    Errors:
    Failed to download some Release or Release.gpg files!
    WARNING: releasing 1 pending lock...
    Download of dists/dapper/Release failed:
    404 Not Found
    Download of dists/dapper/Release.gpg failed: 404 Not Found
    solution
    I suggest a well-written e-mail addressed to SIL.org encouraging them to create their Packages and Packages.gpg files for use with debmirror. Step 9 of my tutorial explains how the Packages file is created.
    Last edited by BobSongs; February 19th, 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added the results of my attempt to debmirror the SIL Ubuntu repositories.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Bob, I had a similar error for my attempts. I will email SIL to see if they will oblige the extra files, I think they will do it after all it will help their own people to if they do.

Beans

Anybody know exactly how big the gutsy repos should be. I finally got my first big download to complete. I had to use the US repos, the Canadian ones are having some problems, looks like. But the total size is 22.2 gig. I had heard it should be bigger, around 30. I did just the default gutsy and gutsy-security as noted in the code in this tutorial.

Beans

Sorry, as in the default for the tutorial, I got gutsy-updates and gutsy-backports as well. No source.

Quote Originally Posted by odin1965 View Post
    Anybody know exactly how big the gutsy repos should be. I finally got my first big download to complete. I had to use the US repos, the Canadian ones are having some problems, looks like. But the total size is 22.2 gig. I had heard it should be bigger, around 30. I did just the default gutsy and gutsy-security as noted in the code in this tutorial.

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by odin1965 View Post
    My downloaded Gutsy repositories (a couple weeks old) show this:

36335 items, totalling 18.9 GB

Then add 4.2 GB four times (for four full DVDs) and around 2.1 GB for the fifth disc. I'll let you do the math.

If your research shows you have less than you should, try the command again. It will compare the remote file list with yours and fill in all the missing files.

If you've modified the command and removed certain sections such as the backports, then your amount will vary.
    Last edited by BobSongs; February 24th, 2008 at 06:57 PM.

Beans

Choose from among the available options:

To keep the clutter down on the main page, I've moved the rather long list of choices. Here's what you do.

Scroll down and select the system that best matches what you need (for example: gutsy i386).

Highlight the text underneath that choice and copy it (right-click the highlighted text and click Copy).

Paste the text into the Terminal. Review the text and make any necessary changes (such as the destination folder).

Hit Enter when all is to your satisfaction. Then return to the main tutorial page by closing this page or by clicking the "BACK to the tutorial" link.

dapper
    i386

debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=dapper,dapper-security,dapper-updates,dapper-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=i386 ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg

dapper amd64
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=dapper,dapper-security,dapper-updates,dapper-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=amd64 ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg

dapper powerpc
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=dapper,dapper-security,dapper-updates,dapper-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=powerpc ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg

dapper sparc
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=dapper,dapper-security,dapper-updates,dapper-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=sparc ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg

BACK to the tutorial

hardy i386
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=hardy,hardy-security,hardy-updates,hardy-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=i386 ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg

hardy amd64
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=hardy,hardy-security,hardy-updates,hardy-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=amd64 ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg

hardy powerpc
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=hardy,hardy-security,hardy-updates,hardy-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=powerpc ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg

hardy sparc
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=hardy,hardy-security,hardy-updates,hardy-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=sparc ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg
    BACK to the tutorial
    Last edited by BobSongs; July 11th, 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Thanks For Your Time And Insight

Peace =]

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast