Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Geochelone View Post
    Does Jaunty repo (main, i386) contain only firefox-3.0 and xulrunner-1.9? OMG debmirror wiped other packages and left me with those two packages.

However restricted, multiverse, and universe seem OK though.

;_;
    Perhaps you are mistakenly mirroring the jaunty-updates repository into your jaunty local mirror location? My local updates/pool/main folder only contains those two sets of packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does Jaunty repo (main, i386) contain only firefox-3.0 and xulrunner-1.9? OMG debmirror wiped other packages and left me with those two packages.

However restricted, multiverse, and universe seem OK though.

;_;
    The main repo contains what is on the installation cd's "main" repo. I would be leaving it for a few days before starting to download the repo as traffic for updates and cd downloads will still be very high. Give everyone else a chance to at least get the cd etc just like you seem to have already, before you try to get the entire repo.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I found that Jaunty's debmirror is much more verbose compared to Intrepid's.

Beans
    Distro

I don't understand what you mean with this, care to explain?
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    I don't understand what you mean with this, care to explain?
    Sounds interesting either way. I haven't installed Jaunty, so I'm not sure what this means. I do know that the debpartial file has changed names, making the link in the tutorial obsolete and requiring change. That's all fixed now.

Geochelone? Could you provide a screenshot of what you mean?

Thanks.
    Last edited by BobSongs; May 1st, 2009 at 09:07 PM.

Beans

I've followed this guide and successfully created some DVDs of the Jaunty i386 repo. However, I also wanted to create a separate set of archive DVDs for the Jaunty source debs hence I omitted the --nosource flag from the debmirror command to downloaded the source packages too. I can't for the life of me work out how to use debpartial to just extract and archive the source debs though. I know I prob need to use --dirsrcprefix but what would be the correct value or can I use anything? It has a --merge-source too but what if you just want source debs?

Also, is it possible to use debmirror to download more than one arch at a time if I wanted to download and mirror both i386 and amd64?

Thanks!

Dan

Beans
    Distro

Hi Dan, I cant comment on the first part of your post as I honestly don't now enough about it to comment with any authority. However for the question below in the quote box I'll give you my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by danboid View Post
    Also, is it possible to use debmirror to download more than one arch at a time if I wanted to download and mirror both i386 and amd64?
    With this I think the answer would be a yes you can do it. But I would ask you why would you do it this way anyway? unless of course you are hosting this on your own server that will supply the repos to multiple architectures. From taking a very indepth look at the structure of the "old-releases.ubuntu.com" archive the repos are all contained in the one folder anyway and the "--arch=" command is the one that you need to modify. So instead of having

Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=hardy,hardy-security,hardy-updates,hardy-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=i386 ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg
    You could have
    Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=ftp --progress --dist=hardy,hardy-security,hardy-updates,hardy-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=i386,amd64 ~/UbuntuRepos --ignore-release-gpg
    Please note the above uses Hardy, not Jaunty or Intrepid, coding but it is easily modified to suit.

Beans

Thanks, k3lt01! If there was anyone I'd trust to take over this thread's management, it's you.

The --arch=i386,amd64 solution should work just fine. danboid, feel like being our tester?

Beans

Thanks k3lt and Bob!

I'm an IT tech at a large school - we've got a few Linux machines here (mostly in the server room of course) but its Windows everywhere else still but I'm pushing for FOSS where POSS Prob is that not all the machines in the school are amd64 / EMT64 capable. You should run 64-bit Linux where poss and hence my desire to archive/mirror both i386 and amd64.

Dunno if I will get round to testing the i386,amd64 option now as that was something I needed to know BEFORE I went ahead and downloaded both i386 and the source. After I've worked out how to archive the source onto DVDs I'll be deleting both the i386 and the source to make way for the amd64 debs which I'll prob keep on my local HD and keep updated and acessable on the local network.

As you can tell from my previous post- seeing as it was both my first question and comprising the bulk of my post, what I really want to know is how to archive the source. It would seem that (the poorly documented) debpartial expects that you'd only ever want to archive binaries or binaries and source, not just source.

Bob- Yes- I just have 1 folder ~/UbuntuRepos, which contains both the source debs and binaries, so I'd need debpartial to divide it up or, as a last resort, a script that would intelligently delete the binary debs and just leave the src debs- but I'm sure there's more to it than that.

I have been on #ubuntu, #debian and #ubuntu-mirrors asking this very question and nobody has a clue. If I work it out I'll yet you all know here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BobSongs View Post
    Thanks, k3lt01! If there was anyone I'd trust to take over this thread's management, it's you.

The --arch=i386,amd64 solution should work just fine. danboid, feel like being our tester?
    Thanks for your kind words BobSongs.

I actually tried to test it yesterday and everything seemed ok until I got a message telling me various files were missing. I then tested it with just one architecture and got the same message.I also tested both versions on Warty and I even get the "missing" message with the Warty repositories.

Dan, I get what your thinking now and understand the need for an efficient download. I hope you work out the source vs binary issue soon.
    Last edited by k3lt01; May 8th, 2009 at 09:52 AM.

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast