Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Good to see you, John.

I see that the forum of SaveXP.com has pretty much come to its end. As you well know, I've used Windows since 3.0. And I've never, ever seen such a resistance to a new operating system.

But that's life. I've sent you some "private messages" to your in box. Hope we keep chatting here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

G'day BobSongs.

I decided the other day to download every official version of Ubuntu for various reasons pointed out in this thread. Because of this I needed to be able to download repositories for past versions, so I went looking for the site to do it and the results are listed in the thread above.

So for anyone who is interested for whatever reason be it nostalgia, business, just plain techno geek, or reasons you would probably not want everyone to know, here are the codes.

Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=old-releases.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=http --progress --dist=warty,warty-security,warty-updates,warty-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=i386 UbuntuReposi386/ --ignore-release-gpg
    Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=old-releases.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=http --progress --dist=warty,warty-security,warty-updates,warty-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=amd64 UbuntuReposamd64/ --ignore-release-gpg
    Doing this clearly defines a different folder for each repository set. Note the coloured text can be changed to suit the version, architecture, and output folder as per your original tutorial method.

Please note a couple of points:
    1. I have "UbuntuRepos/" and not "~/UbuntuRepos". This makes the download occur in the folder the executable txt file is contained in. I have a folder for each version e.g. Wartyi386, Wartyamd64, Hoaryi386, Hoaryamd64 etc.

2. After creating the txt file I right click on it and open the properties dialog, then permissions and make sure the execute box is ticked. This gives you an option later when you click on the file to open it in the terminal without copy and pasting. This is also important if you want to put the repositories in individual version folders as in 1 above.

3. the architectures currently available in each (old.release) version are:
    4.10 (Warty Warthog); i386, amd64, ppc.
    5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog); i386, amd64, ppc, ia64, sparc.
    5.10 (Breezy Badger); i386, amd64, ppc, ia64, sparc.
    6.10 (Edgy Eft); i386, amd64, ppc, ia64, sparc.
    7.04 (Feisty Fawn); i386, amd64, ppc, sparc.
    Last edited by k3lt01; November 25th, 2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Update information about 7.04 Feisty Fawn
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

G'day, k3lt01!

Sorry I didn't see your post until now. And it's an excellent post.

I'm going to add it to the main tutorial. You may have noted my new mission, vision and values section to the tutorial. I'm not saying by that part that I am not accepting the legacy versions' code. I just don't feel the need to break my hump for it. But... you broke your hump, so ... you get the credit.

I'll add it immediately.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BobSongs View Post
    You may have noted my new mission, vision and values section to the tutorial. I'm not saying by that part that I am not accepting the legacy versions' code. I just don't feel the need to break my hump for it. But... you broke your hump, so ... you get the credit.

I'll add it immediately.

Thanks.
    G'day BobSongs.

Yes I did see it and that is one of the reasons I went searching for them. I totally understand your reasoning as 99.999999% of people would move on to the next version anyway, but for that minute number of Ubuntu fans (like myself), I thought I would take the challenge to keep the "old.releases" available for those who felt the need to have a set.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    G'day BobSongs.

Yes I did see it and that is one of the reasons I went searching for them. I totally understand your reasoning as 99.999999% of people would move on to the next version anyway, but for that minute number of Ubuntu fans (like myself), I thought I would take the challenge to keep the "old.releases" available for those who felt the need to have a set.
    Understood. I've added a direct link to your post. However, I've begun cleaning up my tutorial. For some reason, probably because I use the graphic editor, I get all kinds of font codes I've got to clean up. Most of it is done. Once that's been set to order, I'll add your post into the main tutorial completely.

You must have an immoral amount of hard drive space to accommodate that many repository files. Should you ever have too much space, kindly cut off a slice and send it my way. I'll just paste it on to my hard drive.

Beans

Question Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    <snip>G'day BobSongs.

I decided the other day to download every official version of Ubuntu for various reasons pointed out in this thread. Because of this I needed to be able to download repositories for past versions, so I went looking for the site to do it and the results are listed in the thread above.</snip>
    Good day from Canada (another one of the "colonies" ).

I was about to post your content to the tutorial which would look something like this:

For anyone who is interested for whatever reason... be it nostalgia, business, just plain techno geek, or reasons you would probably not want everyone to know, here are example codes.

Warty Warthog on the i386 architecture:
    Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=old-releases.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=http --progress --dist=warty,warty-security,warty-updates,warty-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=i386 UbuntuReposi386/ --ignore-release-gpg
    Warty Warthog on the 64-bit AMD architecture:
    Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=old-releases.ubuntu.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=http --progress --dist=warty,warty-security,warty-updates,warty-backports, --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --arch=amd64 UbuntuReposamd64/ --ignore-release-gpg
    Doing it this way clearly defines a different folder for each repository set. Note the coloured text can be changed to suit the version, architecture, and output folder as per your original tutorial method.

Please note a few points:
    1. It is "UbuntuRepos/" and not "~/UbuntuRepos". This makes the download occur in the folder the executable txt file is contained in. We encourage a folder for each version e.g. Wartyi386, Wartyamd64, Hoaryi386, Hoaryamd64 etc.

2. After creating the txt file I right click on it and open the properties dialog, then permissions and make sure the execute box is ticked. This gives you an option later when you click on the file to open it in the terminal without copy and pasting. This is also important if you want to put the repositories in individual version folders as in 1 above.

3. the architectures currently available in each (old.release) version are:
    4.10 (Warty Warthog); i386, amd64, ppc.
    5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog); i386, amd64, ppc, ia64, sparc.
    5.10 (Breezy Badger); i386, amd64, ppc, ia64, sparc.
    6.10 (Edgy Eft); i386, amd64, ppc, ia64, sparc.
    7.04 (Feisty Fawn); i386, amd64, ppc, sparc.

But I was wondering about this part in the 2nd point: "After creating the txt file..." I'm at a loss as to where this text file is created. Is there something missing?

Beans
    Distro

You must have an immoral amount of hard drive space to accommodate that many repository files. Should you ever have too much space, kindly cut off a slice and send it my way. I'll just paste it on to my hard drive.

Check my signature for what is actually in my machines. I also have another 500GB Seagate external hard drive and a 1TB that I will fit as soon as I can get a MOBO that will let me use 1 and not make me put it in a RAID configuration.

Good day from Canada (another one of the "colonies" ).
    lol. Bob, this hit a note.
    But I was wondering about this part in the 2nd point: "After creating the txt file..." I'm at a loss as to where this text file is created. Is there something missing?
    Yes sorry, it shou read more like,

2. After creating the txt file in the appropriate folder (mine is /home/michael/Repositories/Ubuntu/(Version) ) I right click on it and open the properties dialog, then permissions and make sure the execute box is ticked. This gives you an option later when you click on the file to open it in the terminal without copy and pasting. This is also important if you want to put the repositories in individual version folders as in 1 above.

Beans

Bobsongs,

One thing that might be useful to others; I used my local copy of the repo to do a net install to another machine. I had to make a small change to the download, in addition to the standard sections like main, security, etc. you have to add:

main/debian-installer

Which is a subsection of main, but is not mirrored unless specified directly. Will elaboate further but on mobile phone right now.

Also I can confirm the step about creating a packages.gz can be skipped as it is updated with every sync.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsinse View Post
    Also I can confirm the step about creating a packages.gz can be skipped as it is updated with every sync.
    This is true if you download a repository that has these files. If they don't have these files (e.g. the SIL repository for Linguistics) you can download the files directly from the site with a download manager but still have to create the packages.gz file yourself if you make your machine use these repositories.

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Bobsongs,

One thing that might be useful to others; I used my local copy of the repo to do a net install to another machine. I had to make a small change to the download, in addition to the standard sections like main, security, etc. you have to add:

main/debian-installer

Which is a subsection of main, but is not mirrored unless specified directly. Will elaboate further but on mobile phone right now.
    OK, dude. I'm awaiting your instructions. They'll be added to the main tutorial and you'll be credited. I have a stand-alone machine, so I cannot test this model.

I'll take your word on the additions.

Funny. I tried to do this skipping this step and it failed miserably. It was a while ago.... meh, for the meanwhile I'll leave this part in the tutorial. I'll give it a test run.

Problem is: I want to upgrade and I don't have the Intrepid repositories downloaded.

I'll test it and come up with my results.

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast