View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 51 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: To those who still have Windows, when can you get rid of it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Smile Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

Erm, reasons for not removing XP...
    I would say Fireworks MX and Delphi 7 PE as some things are easier to create in Fireworks than in something like Inkscape and Lazarus really hates working for one reason or another, but then there's Xara LX that does shadowing and other stuff as it's not limited to SVG standards and I've pretty much stopped using Pascal as I'm trying to get to grips with Rails now and I can also spend the time I used to use on desktop development on PHP and other web technologies which I knew, but hadn't put so much effort into developing with under XP.
    I can't say I'm a PC gamer as I prefer gaming on my xbox, 360, PS2 or PSP (yeah yeah, M$ is evil and such, down with the evil empire... but the Wii isn't out yet and I'll be damned if I'm forking out £400 for the PS3 on launch) so I guess my main reason for not deleting XP completely is laziness.
    I can't really be bothered with moving all my old, yet still useful files off of my NTFS partitions (I have 2 HDD's) and going through the hassle of removing XP and formatting the space left over.

Also, I might be tempted to obtain SPORE when it comes out, and I'm guessing there's little chance of Linux seeing it (it's coming to consoles, but later than on the PC).

I haven't used Windows on this PC since the start of this year and I've been running Dapper since it was in Beta form without any issues.
    I'm using XGL and though it's not 100% (causes a few things like the theme manager dying when changing control styles and such), it hasn't caused me any major pains... And it makes Windows look basic to boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

Well, I was forced to pay for WinXP home when I bought the Laptop. and figure I might as well get some use out of it. That's about it.

I actually like dual booting though. It save a lot of time when I'm trying to figure out if a problem is hardware or software based.
    Sometime, you be like , , , or

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

3 things.

1. Games.
    2. Quicken. Nothing I've found for Linux is anywhere near as good.
    3. iTunes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i haven't thought about kmfdm in years... are they still making albums?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Actually I think they do. For a while they were active as "MDFMK". Also they had a gig here in Dublin this year so I would assume they still exist.

Anyway...

I have been using (K)Ubuntu for a while now after testing SUSE, Mandrake (and Mandriva), Knoppix, Kanotix, Fedora and Kororaa. I think I will be stuck with Kubuntu now as it just seems to be the best one for me. Everything is working perfectly. Well. Almost everything. In DD my IPW2100 wireless card in my laptop does not work anymore. Ubuntu sees it but I couldn´t manage to turn the radar on for some reason. Even with "sudo" and everything else I could think of. But I will work it out somehow. I just couldn´t find the time yet.

Dapper Drake is the fastest and most convenient linux distro I have tried so far and I am pretty sure it will take a while until I change to another system again.

My laptop has been "clean" (from M$) for about 6 months now and I am not planning to change that again. There is just no real reason to go back. I just hope that there will be many more people and companies moving away from Microsoft when Vista comes out next year. Let´s keep our fingers crossed...

Greetz

Amir
    "If nothing goes right...go left"

Beans
    Hidden!

nothing at all...i delete all mine last year.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My laptop (IBM T40) is running Ubuntu completely. I use it for web dev, videos, surfin the net, a bit of gaming .. everything really. BUT I have several other machines that run Windows only - the reason being that certain games, though they work to one extent or other, simply are not responsive enough under Linux.

I would be more than happy to dump windows altogether except for the gaming issues. I play a lot of lan based games that I also have trouble configuring to work with my Windows-only friends who refuse to make the switch.

Its not like its impossible to make them work but I only have so much time in the day and making the neccesary tweaks to get things going just takes too much time.
    Rafe Magnuson (aka HeavyAl)
    http://www.magnusontech.net

When I travel with my laptop I need to be able to dial out. Most locations that I would travel to only allow for dialout. My family shares an AOL account and I can only dial out on that in windows. Otherwise...nothing really.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

only two things: autocad and landesktop

Beans

Sims 2, GTA:San Andreas, Pirates, Flight Simulator 2004 and my HP 3310 All-In-One Printer. None of these work at all in Ubuntu (Linux).

EDIT: The printer/scanner does work so just the games then.
    Last edited by Fred Doolie; June 9th, 2006 at 11:15 PM.

Page 51 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast