View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 2 of 135 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: To those who still have Windows, when can you get rid of it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

One big reason for me is that I can't find a program that will let me upload/download web files to a Frontpage Extension enabled server.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

when i gert my next computer, i will dual-boot for games. For now, WINE does the job...

No Windows for You!
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Beans

I have a Minolta Scan Dual 2 film/slide SCSI scanner and there seems to get it working under Linux.
    Also I have not found ways of doing certain things in Gimp that I want - and can do with Photoshop. But I guess that this is something to do with me, not Gimp.
    So if I can get my scanner to work then I can move completely.

David

Beans

Sorry for the type in my previous msg.

It should have read

I have a Minolta Scan Dual 2 film/slide SCSI scanner and there seems no way to get it working under Linux.
    Also I have not found ways of doing certain things in Gimp that I want - and can do with Photoshop. But I guess that this is something to do with me, not Gimp.
    So if I can get my scanner to work then I can move completely.

David

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm 99.9% Windows free.

What does that mean? I do not have Window's installed, except for brief periods when someone needs help with a Windows specific problem.

But in my daily computing, I have no need/want of Windows.

-- UDSF | Tango Desktop Project --

-- openSUSE 11.3 / Ubuntu 10.04 --

Beans

Well there nothing stopping me deleting my windows partition on my desktop, its just so happens that deleting the windows partition on my desktop is something I did earlier this morning (I needed some more room for breezy on my pathetically small HD).

I would kill my windows partition on my laptop if I could sure that I could it todo everything I wanted at the speed I wanted. BTW my laptop is 100mhz; 32mb RAM running 98.

Beans

Ubuntu does a lot of stuff I need very well, and I've barely used Windows in the last 5 days. But I keep Windows because...

1. Believe it or not, I LIKE windows. It's actually nice. I didn't come to Ubuntu to escape, I came for the adventure of it... Trying new things.

2. One or two games I need run in Windows.

3. Microsoft Sam. I like that voice very much.

4. Some tools for text2speech that I have in windows. I couldn't get them working in wine, which is a shame.
    Last edited by PatrickMay16; October 5th, 2005 at 01:13 PM.

Beans

Because once in a while there is no substitute. The only time I have booted windows in the last 6 months was when I was on the phone with tech support for my Epson printer, and they instructed me to do certain things in their windows driver. I didn't want them to say, sorry linux is not supported we can't help you. So I did a quick reboot. Other than that it is not used much.
    My new favorite open source software combo: apache2 + php5 + mysql + drupal + civicrm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Don't really know why I keep windows

I suppose I'm just scared to make the big jump as I cant go back, and very occasionally someone wants to borrow my comp and want windows...

I haven't used windows for close to a month now though...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

For me, the only reason to keep Windows around is the lack of commercial support for linux, in general. Some games I like I just can't get to run at a decent speed in linux (or at all,) and sometimes I'll need to access something like Yahoo Messenger to do some some task that clients like gaim don't fully support yet.

I suppose that as time goes on, I'll find ways around such problems, and if not, I hope to one day contribute to solutions to such problems.

Having been an avid Amiga user until 2000, I find gnu/linux much more familiar and comfortable than Windows, and do bear some grudge toward M$ for the part they played in keeping other OSes and computer systems from competing. As it is, I can barely stand using Windows 98 infrequently. I simply refuse to subject myself to the license agreement of Windows XP. I presume Vista's license agreement will be equally deplorable, should they ever finish it.
    Last edited by SilentCacophony; October 5th, 2005 at 12:39 PM.

Page 2 of 135 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast