View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: To those who still have Windows, when can you get rid of it?

Hybrid View

Beans

To those who still have Windows, when can you get rid of it?

Here is a slightly different question.

My Internet is covered with Firefox (Which i use in windows also).
    My email client is Thunderbird.
    Crossover drives my office2000 copy (I'll consider OOO once it gets better.
    Its a very good suite right now that deserves lauding, but its still behind Office).
    When I want to game I got Cedega CVS curteosy of Linux Gamers.
    When I need numerical cruching, mathworks provides a Linux version of MATLAB (thank god for cheap software being a college student!)
    BMP provides my MP3 playing capabilities and other things
    K3b provides my burning (I know, I know!!! Its KDE, but I can't find a nicer program Although I heard there is a Nero Linux and since i'm used to Nero on windows I may take a peek
    SCIM provides me with foreign language input for my language classes

But you know what keeps my windows activity on?

INSANT MESSAGE. I can never send a file right...maybe 10% of the time it works~ the other 90% it never does! Also, MSN support is REALLLY weak. I can kind of understand the fact I don't get winks or I can't "nudge" someone...but I can't even use "non standard" emoticons!
    If sending a file via AIM or MSN could be fixed...and get MSN support up to par, then I would wonder why Windows is on my HardDrive. But until then I find myself booting up over and over in windows because I want to send a file to a friend, or because a friend is using many different emoticons that Iwant to see.
    Linux isn't absolutely perfect...I know that. But its dissapointing to see how long the New MSN has been out with no real progress in that (and just file sending in general!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

Games and a project I have to do in .NET.
    Didn't we have a similar thread before?

Beans

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

Quote Originally Posted by YourSurrogateGod
    Games and a project I have to do in .NET.
    Didn't we have a similar thread before?
    Look how many posts I have If there was a similar thread I have no idea

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by magomago
    Look how many posts I have If there was a similar thread I have no idea
    Well, it was more of a general question and not particularly aimed at you.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Guitar Pro 5. Runs in Wine, but not to my liking, I await the linux port eagerly

And possibly flash 8 (though i'd never keep windows JUST for flash 8).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I haven't booted into windows for a really long time. The only reason I left it on there was because my scanner isn't supported in Ubuntu. But I just wiped my windows partition a couple of days ago anyway

Beans

MSN will never port it's messenger to Linux for obvious reasons. You can always send those files to your friends using bit torrent, E-Mail or another p2p software. I still have a windows partition because I like Sim City 4 and I already paid for Windows XP and am going to use it. Also some times certain multimedia software in Linux is still a little buggy and gets annoying to deal with. Other wise Ubuntu could easily be my only partition.
    Last edited by mstlyevil; October 5th, 2005 at 03:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    MSN will never port it's messenger to Linux for obvious reasons. You can always send those files to your friends using bit torrent, E-Mail or another p2p software. I still have a windows partition because I like Sim City 4 and I already paid for Windows XP and am going to use it. Also some times certain multimedia software in Linux is still a little buggy and gets annoying to deal with. Other wise Ubuntu could easily be my only partition.
    Well, there is amsn 0.95b. It is still beta version, but some fancy features are there (nudge, webcam support, file transfer). There still gaim and gnomemeeting. Anyway, I hope all these IM's be federated some day, like email.
    Sticking to the original question. I use three computers regularly. At work, Ubuntu rules (Before, there was Debian. Computer life is breezy with .deb). My Laptop, an old fellow friend, is Ubuntu only. Now, there is family computer. Its dual boot. As long as people here is learning linux, more space Ubuntu conquers. But in the end I doubt windows will be complete erased here for the next years: so many interests, like gaming, different word processing skills and habits.

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    Go FTP!! It's one of the best ways to send file. As far as paying for XP goes, why don't you just build your own computer? It's cheaper, better, and you aren't forced to buy Windows.

Beans

I took the decision and i got completely rid off windows. Now i have installed only ubuntu and i spare for it 30GB. There are many alternative programs to winblows under linux. Check this.
    But i need matlab that i found it here which needs login and maybe this isn't free. Is there anyone who has obtained this program and could send it to me?

Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast