Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Linux Charity Project Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Official Linux Charity Project Thread

Okay folks, here is the OFFICIAL thread for our Linux charity project.

Roadmap so far: (this is what we need to do, in this order)

Get computers for free to work for (In progress)
    Computers should be 500mhz or greater, and intact. Other specs are variable.

Determine Central Meeting Place (Holding)
    Meet here and get the computers working, up to certain specs, and get the Linux install working.

Develop our Linux package. (In Discussion)
    Obviously we want some derivative of Edubuntu that will run on slow machines.
    It would be nice to have a Mirror of Wikipedia on the machines (this mirror is almost 10gb of data)

This Linux package should probably be standardized, and then we can slipstream the install so we don't have to re-deploy all the utilities once we make our package.

Next, we find people to give our machines to. At this point, we start up the marketing machine, get word out, and try and expand the project.(Holding)

So, topics of discussion right now:
    Who can get machines? How many and what kind of Specs?
    What should our MINIMUM baseline specs be? 500mhz is a good number, because it will still run most utilities out there reasonably well.
    What do we want in our Linux Package? Who has the expertise to slipstream this into one install CD?

All of this is in order of priority. I will update this post periodically with important info from the thread.

LEADS ON COMPUTERS

Zuph will contact the Oldham County School board and see what he can do. They have an annual auction, as well, where we may be able to get computers for dirt cheap. This is next best to free, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Official Linux Charity Project Thread

For Future reference, here is the Wikipedia Static content: http://static.wikipedia.org/downloads/November_2006/en/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

UPDATE

I can get us SIXTY computers with the specs that we want. I CANNOT get us monitors, however. These computers range from 450-600 mhz, and most of them are Dell GX100s.

SIXTY.

The catch is that I cannot get them until April. I would like to get a handful of computers to start on ASAP so we can standardize our Linux install so it is just a matter of popping in an install CD. So anyone with a lead on computers, keep on following those, as April is a ways away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sorry to have missed the meeting last night. Last minute Dr's appt (kidney stone) and I was drugged up all night.

However, on the subject of computers/monitors, it might be worth at least one team member going to the State Finance Cabinet auction: http://finance.ky.gov/internal/surplus/auction.htm

It looks like the upcoming auction won't have any computer equipment, but they have one every month, and they always put up a document detailing what will be auctioned on that website. Usually there are computer pallets (monitors, workstations, etc.) that are auctioned off at very reasonable prices.

Beans

WOW. 60 machines is awesome. We will need to think of a place to store them once April gets here. I am going to talk to the managers at work and see if I can get some of the old PCs that we have today.

There is a wiki page for the project at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KentuckyTeam/CharityProject now too.
    Thanks,

etank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Holy Crap!! That is AWESOME Zuph!! Way to go!

Old CRT's shouldn't be too hard to come by. I have a few here that I can get. I might have an old PC or too as well. Most of our old stuff is MAC, but I agree, start the custom image and start working toward April!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Zuph View Post
    Okay folks, here is the OFFICIAL thread for our Linux charity project.

Roadmap so far: (this is what we need to do, in this order)

Get computers for free to work for (In progress)
    Computers should be 500mhz or greater, and intact. Other specs are variable.

Determine Central Meeting Place (Holding)
    Meet here and get the computers working, up to certain specs, and get the Linux install working.

Develop our Linux package. (In Discussion)
    Obviously we want some derivative of Edubuntu that will run on slow machines.
    It would be nice to have a Mirror of Wikipedia on the machines (this mirror is almost 10gb of data)

This Linux package should probably be standardized, and then we can slipstream the install so we don't have to re-deploy all the utilities once we make our package.

Next, we find people to give our machines to. At this point, we start up the marketing machine, get word out, and try and expand the project.(Holding)

So, topics of discussion right now:
    Who can get machines? How many and what kind of Specs?
    What should our MINIMUM baseline specs be? 500mhz is a good number, because it will still run most utilities out there reasonably well.
    What do we want in our Linux Package? Who has the expertise to slipstream this into one install CD?

All of this is in order of priority. I will update this post periodically with important info from the thread.

LEADS ON COMPUTERS

Zuph will contact the Oldham County School board and see what he can do. They have an annual auction, as well, where we may be able to get computers for dirt cheap. This is next best to free, though.
    *steals some ideas*

Thank you and keep up the good work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

April is a long way away. If we get a group of 10 or so machines, we could work on getting our distribution and install methods down, and work on getting the PR machine working so that when we get all these computers the turnaround time can be relatively quick.

So then, Tasks at this point become:

Generating some documentation to contact people that may be in need of computers.

Create our standardized Linux install, preferably as automated as possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm gonna contact a local business, they gave me 2 free monitors already for other things so I may be able to score a few monitors there.
    ~Stash

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Quote Originally Posted by jkeyes0 View Post
    Sorry to have missed the meeting last night. Last minute Dr's appt (kidney stone) and I was drugged up all night.
    Meeting?
    Before taking down a fence, it may be a good idea to find out why it was put up.
    Registered Linux User #402142

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast