Page 91 of 138 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

I have BackupPC installed which offers a tar method. Would I achieve the same system if I used this program? Is anyone using it for complete system backups?
    Thanks for your time.

Beans

While I think its nifty to do backups using the hardcore method, its SOOOO much easier just to use Clonezilla . Clonezilla uses the standard Gzip backup method except that it has a really nice wizard UI to go with it and the tool is bootable, and is able to backup to thumbdrive, bootable image, or a samba/windows share folder.

http://clonezilla.org/
    Last edited by mozkill; May 5th, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
    ------
    Windows7x64 :: ASUS P5K-E :: ASUS Nvidia 8600 GT :: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz :: 4GB DDR2-800 :: 120GB SSD + 300GB RAID 1 :: Linux user since 1992

Beans

Yes, sure but I am not using the GUI just access from a networked laptop running Webmin. I will look at Clonezilla. Sounds like it may come from the same stable as Filezilla?
    Thanks for your time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The disk used on my laptop is approximately 40GB. I want to back it up to a usb 1TB drive, formatted as FAT32. As I understand it, the max file size on a FAT32 device is 4GB. When I try the original heliode method of creating a gzip file, it stops with a message about 4GB file too large. I don't see any option in gzip to split large resultant gzip files. The best option seems to me to be to use Partimage, which allows resultant split files. Any recommendations?
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hell of a lot better than messing with aptoncd even. I like being sure about what I'm backing up. Thanks !

Beans

i recently had to restore my computer using this tar method, but i've been having some problems.

after restoring, i can no longer mount usb drives or mount ANYTHING for that matter.. i have no connectivity (the connectivity icon doesn't even show up) and my sound doesn't work (the volume applet also tells me it's busted)

another thing is that i backed up all my media files in another tar archive (i didn't want to waste the time and cpu power to try to compress media files) so i left them in a .tar file .. however, when i try to restore those files, only the directories and some files are restored.. the tar is a 107GB file (according to 'du' and also the properties tab in nautilus) after extracting that archive into my /home directory, the total disk usage is still just 6GB .. how can i restore the rest of my files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

why not just use clonezilla ? it's got different compressions to choose from, and from what i remember, my 7GB installation got compressed to about 2GB....

backup and restore process was really fast and simple, and you can get your system back up and running in less than 1 hr (10 mins for me), as opposed to reinstalling everything then restoring with the process the op mentions.....
    HP Envy 17
    ubuntu 10.10 kernel 2.6.37
    windows 7

Beans

it's too late for me to use clonezilla .. it seems i've lost a massive amount of data already (unless i can restore from that tar file)

can't use clonezilla anyway, i'm using the ext4 filesystem which is still being tested by clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

do you have a single hdd or 2 hdd's in your system ?
    HP Envy 17
    ubuntu 10.10 kernel 2.6.37
    windows 7

Beans

i have a single hdd but with 2 partitions one mounted on / and the other on /home

Page 91 of 138 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast