Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Smile Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy
    Partimage is really quite easy to use, somewhat similar to ghost. As far as I know it isn't on the ubuntu live cd, which is why I use knoppix.
    You should start partimage from a root console, and the partition that you are imaging should not be mounted. I make my images on a 2nd HD, then burn to dvd from ubuntu.
    Partimage not on Ubuntu live: I should have thought of that! That's what comes of writing before my second cup of coffee (or third).

I'll download and burn a Knoppix Live CD and experiment, maybe this weekend. I have three hard drives so I ought to be able to do something safe as a learning experience...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Yes, play around with it, it's the best way to learn
    When you've fired up knoppix, go to 'KNOPPIX' in the menu, then 'Root Shell', then type in 'partimage', it may say that it can't find something (can't remember what) and should it be created, say yes. -- I am telling you this because it took me a while to figure it out.

Good luck, and happy imaging!

Beans

Smile Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

MONDO is in synaptic!
    home page is www.mondorescue.org
    Last edited by tonybee; May 20th, 2005 at 03:32 AM.

Beans

I've managed to back up my Ubuntu install on my laptop to a windows network drive using this guide. Right now I'm backing up the stuff on the windows partition using Ghost.

When that's done, I'm going to format the drive clean and re-create my linux partitions, devoting the whole thing to Ubuntu Then I'm going to see if restoring from this tgz backup actually works

For those interested (and any who want to point out flaws) here is my restore plan:

1. Format the drive
    2. Boot from my knoppix cd
    3. Create a 1gb swap partition and an ext3 partition using the rest
    4. Copy the tgz backup to the newly created root partition
    5. Extract the backup as per the instructions in your guide
    6. Reboot and hope for the best
    Last edited by Rehevkor; May 23rd, 2005 at 11:57 PM.

Beans

Using that method, will you have boot capability from the newly created Linux drive? That's the part that worries me about trying to transfer to another drive. I suppose if need be the boot record could be created later on, but it sounds to me like a golden opportunity to really mess things up. And I'm normally not afraid to experiment!

It's just that I lack practice and experience in transferring a whole system, and I don't want to have to spend days recreating all my stuff (even with backups of the home directory in a safe place, there's plenty more that's been customized and apps added, etc.)

Beans

GRUB should still work fine. I'm not actually going to format the entire drive, but rather delete the existing partitions, create new ones, and format them for linux. The MBR, where GRUB is installed, should be unchanged.

If all else fails, I could simply reinstall Ubuntu from the CD, then use it to copy the tgz backup into the root and extract it, overwriting the existing files. At least I *think* that would work...

Beans

Good luck. Sounds like a workable plan to me... Be sure to report back with your results, OK?

Beans

See my post later for an updated overview of the steps I took using the tar.gz method
    Last edited by lakcaj; May 25th, 2005 at 12:55 AM.

Beans

In that case, I think I'll wait to attempt my re-partition and restore O_o

Thanks for the heads up.

Beans

Lakcaj, I just want to say two things: (1) I admire anybody who can go through that experience and still both maintain a sense of humor AND write cogently; (2) I think I'll wait a while before attempting to transfer my Ubuntu to my big hard drive.

Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast