Page 20 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by htmlguy716 View Post
    I am running Dapper 6.06 LTS and I want to make a complete backup of my system (without backing up any user folders), so I tried the following command as root:
    Code:
    tar cvpzf "/home/danielcox/Backups/Ubuntu System 2006-8-9.tgz" / --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/home
    Oddly enough, tar started running through my home folder partway through the backup, which I specifically told it to exclude. Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Daniel
    i thought i read in this particular thread that ubuntu requires the path to be at the end of the statement. try this, and let us know if it worked:

Code:
    tar cvpzf "/home/danielcox/Backups/Ubuntu System 2006-8-9.tgz" --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/home /

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

OmahaVike,
    Thank you very much for the help. The new command worked like a cup of fresh-brewed Ubuntu. I can now make regular backups of my system, while keeping my data separate.
    -Daniel Cox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I ran into a problem while using this method to backup to an external USB hard drive. The external hard drive is 120GB single partition formatted as vfat for use with Windows and Linux and my internal has 9 partitions either ntfs or ext3 totalling about 40GB. When I tried to backup I ran into a size limitation I believe originating from the vfat format of the external. Maybe somebody with more experience in this area could address how to use split and cat to create pieces and then reassemble them? I nearly nuked everything had I not noticed the archive size was suspiciously small. A warning or modification in the howto might be useful as well.

Beans

Why isn't 'rsync' considered in the last 20 pages of this backup guide? Rsync is used as a backup tool at a lot of places and it has a very obvious benefit of updating through diffs.

Moreover, you can use rsync through ssh to backup your data to a remote machine (For example, I backup my laptop's data to the desktop at work).

# rsync -a --delete -e "ssh -c blowfish -ax " $source/ $userid@$backuphost:$backupdir/$source/

Beans

I think there is an error in your commandline for tar : the last item should be the directories that will be tarred, if you don't do it the excludes wont be taken in account . So to my opinion this is a correct syntax :
    tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /

regards

Beans

If I create a cron job to do this, how could I get the backup.tgz moved over to my file server (Windows Server 2003)?
    smbmount maybe? What's the best option there?
    Thanks,

Ozz.
    Last edited by Ozz; August 22nd, 2006 at 09:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I think there is an error in your commandline for tar : the last item should be the directories that will be tarred, if you don't do it the excludes wont be taken in account . So to my opinion this is a correct syntax :
    tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /

regards
    hey thanks.. it works for me now

Beans

I got everything working the way I wanted it, did the backup, then moved that to my fileserver. I wiped the box to try Xandros, and will be wanting to restore my backup. I've got two questions.

1 - Will I have to do an install then a restore so the partitions will be setup the same way they were before?

2 - What's the easiest way to can make a LiveCD either from my backup or after the restore?

Beans

I attempted the restore this weekend. While it worked correctly, there were two hiccups.

1 - I applied the updates when Ubuntu told me there were some, which screwed up X, etc. That was a known issue (although not to me at the time).

2 - After the restore, all windows were on top of the applications bar (or whatever it's called) at the top of the screen. The titlebar to the window was above the top of my screen, so there was no moving the windows either.

While I know how to move them without the mouse in Windows, I couldn't do it in Linux. I read pages that suggested ALT-Left Mouse Button, but that didn't do the trick.

Beans

I am a new user with Ubuntu 6.06. My problem is making backups. I have read thoughly, all the posts on this thread, and am having trouble understanding what I must do to backup my system.

I have a C HD with dual boot W2K and Ubuntu 6.06, and I want to back up Ubuntu to my D drive, as a total backup with no file or user exceptions. The D drive is formatted as FAT 32, with an existing backup of my W2K, and lots of other free space left over.

Can anyone advise me of a script to put in terminal to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Psed

Page 20 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast