Page 136 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1375

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lock View Post
    hoveman - you can exclude the /media folder, or simply unmount any partitions you have mounted there, however, if you want them as part of your backup, then you should leave them. I think heliode is giving this tutorial as a system backup, but you can use it for a full backup, if you wish. As far as audio CD (if one is in the drive) you'll want to exclude /home/<user>/.gvfs - or, of course, just eject the CD, but this should give you some more options.
    And make an exclusion to avoid backing up your backup...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ziphem View Post
    And make an exclusion to avoid backing up your backup...
    LOL - yeah, of course, I was thinking about that when Heliode mentioned it in the guide - I can see how that could be a hairy proposal in a never-ending loop.

Beans

I need to set up a backup but first have to get Ubunto 12.04 to stop reconize my baracuda IDE in enclosure as a mouse or keyboard. I can see the enclosure isted as "cypress" the manufacture but my dell laptop m5030 does zip when its plugged in.

I tinkered around with dmesg, and lsusb, fdisk and got some information but was unable to mount it manually. I believe its because of the way this particular usb enclosure case is acknowledged by ubunto. I really don't want to go out and purchase another case. Im a bit poor at the moment.

lsusb list the device (with HIDdriver)
    fdisk doesn't show the device
    dmesg says its connected.

I want to use this baracuda for backup

Beans

oh obviously i tried the mount command with the info from other commands.

sorry...didn't mention that.

Beans

Only a newbee [as I] could make such a horrible mistake. I tried to boot in and got a screen that said 'no OS on this disk'...so I mistakenly reinstalled 11.04. [it seemed to indicate it would save all of my files and drivers - it only saved MOST [not all] of my programs! I thought it would only put in the OS files - and not remove all the: history, configuration files etc. [they were done by an expert over many weeks - and he is now no longer alive]....so, I have a system that won't configure my 3 screens; won't configure the ATI ccc driver, won't print and several other long-fought configurations are gone - as is the history, which would allow me to re-create his fixes. However, I think all is not lost....I made a copy of the system and it is on another disk [now seen as /dev/sdb1]. On it there is a file /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-13-generic [and all the other versions I had had installed] that I THINK I need to copy/move/unpack? to my main system and all will [?] be OK?!?!?!?!? BUT - I: 1] don't know how and 2] if I should...though it seems I should. What else might I have to move [and how to do so]?

Please tell me step by step and ask anything / tell anything that could make the above more of a problem than a solution. Many thanks! The only difference between the 'old' copied system and the new is the addition of Ubuntu studio [which I think will not make a difference -but don't know].

NB - I think trying to configure the ccc again Ditto making printer [Cannon MP 540] and several other devices. It seems now only the configurations for these devices are gone....]I made a LITTLE progress with the ATI ccc driver, but it is NOT working as it did and NOT working correctly

NBB - and while I'm at it...during some update 2.6.38-14 was installed, but it says 'virtual' after it and it doesn't boot...what is that?! I move down to the 13 and it boots..or did...now it only boots in low video mode [or seomething like that - I'm in Windoz now]
    -------------------------------
    Looking further, in the copied [about a month old] Grub files are:
    abi-kernal#
    config-kernal#
    initrd.img-kernal#
    System.map-kernal#
    vmcoreinfo-kernal#
    vmlimuz-kernal#
    files.....
    Question, How and which [all?] of these do I move back to my main device/OS - and what dangers precautions need be taken into account? Thanks much!

--------------------
    With more hunting I found the copied [month old, but all needed changes were before then!] history file!....but am not very confident about how to move it into my system in sda1 or if it will cause problems with what is there...nor how to execute the commands where they are - if possible. I have printed it out [30 pages]. There is also a .bashrc file that from its size seems important. Now what do I do?! This is my trial by fire.....I'll be intermediate after this!

Even more hunting [have edited this many times over several hours!] I find that when I was asked for my user name I made a slight punctuation/spacing difference and some [not all] of the old files that used to be in my old account are still PARTLY there?!?!?...now it is even more confusing [to me] how to reconstruct things...but maybe not....don't know. Would REALLY appreciate the help!

And, as if I didn't have enough problems, now this morning [I've logged on many times already] it won't let me log in - as if the password was changed. I did NOT change it and there is ONLY ONE account! Boy, did I mess up and not back-up correctly nor know what I was doing.....learning the hard way....

sorry if I sound a bit panicked - I am!
    Last edited by crazybear; May 4th, 2012 at 08:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is it possible for me to just manually copy all the files(incl hidden file) from "file system" partition to a safe place and then just copy them back again later under a live disk to restore my system?

I have a separate /home partition.

Cheers
    Last edited by kiwimenace; May 7th, 2012 at 09:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimenace View Post
    Is it possible for me to just manually copy all the files(incl hidden file) from "file system" partition to a safe place and then just copy them back again later under a live disk to restore my system?

I have a separate /home partition.

Cheers
    What I don't know [and fear] is that a wholesale movement/overwriting of ALL files might [I'd think LIKELY will] cause problems - NO? My system looked quite different before/after. Wouldn't it be better to move only the configuration files to start with - those with the old setups. I don't really know what is stored where. I also don't understand the new entry for a virtual kernel; nor not being able to log in with password except in failsafe graphics mode [but if the old configuration files were there, that would likely go away. Will older files overwrite newer ones? Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@ crazybear & kiwimenace,

Simply copying all files back to the partition using a live disc should only be a problem if you've created/deleted, moved, resized, etc. a partition or partitions (i.e., if any of the UUIDs have changed). In that case, it would still work, but you would have to edit your fstab file to reflect the changes.

The default for tar -x is not to remove files from the destination that are not in the backup, so if you're taking the wholesale approach, delete all contents of the destination partition first (start with a blank partition).

@ crazybear

The trouble with only moving the old configuration files is exactly that you don't know where they all are. With a little research, though, you could probably find most of them. What exactly did you mean when you said this:

My system looked quite different before/after.
    How did it look different?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    @ crazybear & kiwimenace,

Simply copying all files back to the partition using a live disc should only be a problem if you've created/deleted, moved, resized, etc. a partition or partitions (i.e., if any of the UUIDs have changed). In that case, it would still work, but you would have to edit your fstab file to reflect the changes.
    No, I have not moved, resized the partition. I re-installed over and it said it would save my files.....it apparently did, but all the drivers and general set-up is different! The drivers for the Printer, Video Card and several other things were GONE...these my Guru had worked long and hard on.

The default for tar -x is not to remove files from the destination that are not in the backup, so if you're taking the wholesale approach, delete all contents of the destination partition first (start with a blank partition).
    I didn't use tar to backup. I simply made a copy using dd, I believe. The Linux Guru who used to help me [and is now apparently dead] also made a file within the main device called 'Ubuntucopy' which also has a copy of the originals, it seems. Lastly, as when I re-installed I used a slight variation of the original user name, there seem to be the old and new users.
    @ crazybear

The trouble with only moving the old configuration files is exactly that you don't know where they all are. With a little research, though, you could probably find most of them. What exactly did you mean when you said this:

How did it look different?
    I especially don't know which are important and what they contain.....which are the old [I guess I can try looking at dates on them] and which might have been modified with the new install. More importantly: 1] I don't know what problems could be caused if there were two sets of a file; or mixed and matched files that need to coordinate with one another, and 2] Using Live CD some [quite a few] are locked to me and I can't open [and likely can't copy and overwrite without permission - though I'm the 'Adminstrator' - except by terminal, I would think.

As to looking different, this is hard to fully explain. Remember too [all seem to ignore this], that NOW I can NOT log in except [I discovered] in default graphics mode under the repair scenario...for reasons unknown [I could log in for a while after the change the 'normal' way]. Additionally, there are two new entries in the list of kernels. [14, I believe] and they say (virtual)...I don't know why nor what they are and I never set up knowingly anything like a VM scenario. Also, worth mentioning 13, 12 and earlier kernels can NOT be booted into. ONLY 14 and ONLY in failsafe graphics mode...although this was not the case until I started to [?!] set up the ATI ccc driver....which [I thought] was working with one small exception of one LCD screen of three being the wrong color and it would allow me to only change that one - none of the others...seemed minor...maybe unrelated.

I do NOT have another OS on this disk. Lastly, just before the system went 'weird' I suddenly had the new look of the Ubuntu Studio - unexpected, but not bad...but strange as i had NOT just installed it...I believe I had months and months ago and it suddenly took over the look of the desktop. That was BEFORE I got the screen that there was 'NO OS on this disk', which caused me to mistakenly panic and re-install...I should have tried other things first...as there WAS an OS.

So, I have copies of the old configurations and files...if I can determine which I need and which they are....please tell me someone how in terminal I can move them back and not be blocked with permissions. I think the system doesn't know who the Administrator is anymore.

Hope that answers your questions and asks mine in a manner that is comprehensible. My old Guru would have fixed this in a flash....alas....I'm on my own now.

Thanks so much for the help....I'm VERY hesitant to attempt moving the files back until I
    1] can open and see all the files
    2] know which ones would be different and should be moved [and which might cause a problem if moved - if any]
    3] how to move them in the terminal, so I can have the proper permissions
    4] if the old settings for the video card, printer et al. should all be returned or if some hybrid will be made in the process [a Frankenstein]?
    5] any other warnings a novice like me should know about BEFORE attempting this.
    Last edited by crazybear; May 10th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First, some general forum etiquette: You're posting your questions in the wrong thread. Despite its vague name, this thread is about backing up and restoring using the tar command and the method prescribed by Heliode. If you choose instead to use DejaDup, more power to you, but your questions should be posted in a thread about DejaDup. If no appropriate thread exists, create your own. In addition to adding off-topic posts to an already unwieldy thread, your questions have confused those who have tried to help you. (E.g., I assumed you had backed up your system according to the howto at the beginning of the thread, so some of the answers I gave you were not appropriate for your situation.)

Second, some general backup basics: There are a plethora of backup and restore options, and part of the freedom of Ubuntu is your ability to choose which one you want to use. However, you need to be consistent: if you created your backup with DejaDup, you need to restore your system using the recommended DejaDup method. (I am not at all familiar with DejaDup, so I can't be any help here.) Some backup methods copy everything in your system, while others track changes you've made and still others use different paradigms. Mixing and matching can have undesirable results, as you've found.

Third, a point on administrator and superuser: In Linux, being an administrator does not automatically give you access to all files. It enables you to gain access to all files, that is, to act as superuser. If you try, from a terminal, to open a file that your user doesn't have permission to open, the system won't let you. However, if you precede the command with "sudo" and enter your password when prompted, the system will allow you to open it as superuser. The default file browser in Ubuntu is Nautilus. If, in the terminal, you enter
    sudo nautilus
    , it will open a browser window where you will have access to all files. There are also commands you can execute as superuser to change ownership or permissions of particular files.

Lastly, you probably shouldn't post something like
    I'm on my own now.
    on a forum like this one. You're not on your own. You have access to a community through this forum. You just have to learn a few things along the way.

Page 136 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 LastLast