Page 135 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1375

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    If your backing up a system, and not just personal data. I have found the best option is just to make a hard drive image. For this task, backup options in Ubuntu all seem to be lacking in one aspect or another. Clonezilla is OK, but makes large backup files and hasn't always worked correctly for me.

If you can borrow the use of someone's Windows system for a few minutes, download the free Paragon Backup and Recovery: http://www.paragon-software.com/home.../download.html

Then install and it and create a recovery CD.

The recovery CD provides a pre-boot enviroment which allows you to backup a disk-image of your HDD. There are lots of options available and it creates pretty small files. It's compatible even with ext4 files systems.
    Yes, I want to back up the entire system and information - My disks crash regularly and can't be recovered [newer drives are less-recoverable - everyone beware!]...so, Maybe this is the solution. I have Windows and have Paragon....but not sure about the set up, as Windows can't see Linux disks...will try and see what happens in the pre-boot environment. Thanks.

NB - you see to imply that one should install the Pargon on the Ubuntu system...but a windows-based program won't. I do NOT dual boot. I keep my different OS on different disks entirely! Did you mean other?

Beans

hey. I'm pretty much surprised about how this linux thing is working....

I was sceptical about this tar method so I used dd_rescue to make an image of my drive, erased the drive, mounted the image and used sudo cp to copy it to the new empty drive. Did Grub restore etc (before) et voila, it's back as if nothing happened... No driver issues and so on. complete duplicate of the system. how is this possible?
    Last edited by janisgeiger; March 4th, 2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: off-topic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by crazybear View Post
    you see to imply that one should install the Pargon on the Ubuntu system...but a windows-based program won't. I do NOT dual boot. I keep my different OS on different disks entirely! Did you mean other?
    Sorry if I wasn't clear Crazybear, You do indeed need a windows based system to install Paragon on.

However, once you use the Windows-based Paragon application to create a "rescue and recovery" CD, your good to go.

The resulting CD is bootable, and works as a stand-alone solution for backup and recovery, with NTFS, FAT, and Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 filesystems. I don't know why Paragon doesn't just offer a download of the "rescue and recovery" CD as an iso.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just a quick note.

The first time I ran the script in the original post I got the following error:

tar: /: file changed as we read it
    root@ubuntu-desktop:/#

I checked the thread and it didnt seem clearly resolved, the clearest advice was
    You probably were executing a program and it was writing actively to a file who was being read for tar'ing.

I'd say: back up again (just for safety) but try to have a minimal number of programs running. (I was getting this when tar'ing my home folder with firefox running...)
    So I ran it again with every application other than terminal emulator closed and hit the same problem.

I resolved this and it worked fine simply by adding
    Code:
    --exclude=/dev
    to the original code. The backup then ran fine without the error (and I noticed that when it had previously stopped with the earlier it hadn't completed a full backup).

I haven't yet tried unpacking, but thought I'd post this up here in case other people come across the same problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And thank you for amazingly useful how to, if this saves me from trying to remember all the tweaks and packages I struggle to find whenever i wreck my system this will be an absolute godsend.

Beans

Thought I'd do another followup from previous posts (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1315)

Using rsync to backup my system to an internal 2nd HD (the backup) is fantastic - but it creates a major problem if the backup hard drive is not mounted (my drives/partitions don't mount automatically, but I mount them manually every boot up).

If the backup is mounted, which is at /media/Backup, then the system will rysnc appropriately, and the world is good. However, what if I forgot to mount one partition manually upon booting up? If the 2nd hard drive is not mounted, my rsync script will create the directory /media/Backup on the PRIMARY drive, so...: you guessed it, my primary drive runs out of HD room. What happens next is a system that ultimately ceases to work, and which will not reboot back into my linux distro. This is fixed by deleting the [primary HD] /media/Backup directory right away, if possible. If not possible, then I have to reboot into a rescue disk/USB, and delete /media/Backup that way. Quite a pain.

Below is a solution that solves this problem. I hope this helps others, as it is quite a good help to me. I don't know why I didn't think of writing this when I started using rsync to backup my system! Also, I guess I could do something fancier instead of echo "Not all devices mounted!!", but it serves my purposes. Eventually I'll see that not all drives are mounted

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

if [ -d /media/SHARED ] && [ -d /media/Backup ] && [ -d /media/SW_Preload ]
    then
    rsync -av -Hl -X --delete --stats --ignore-errors --exclude-from=/home/user/Backup_jobs/backup.lst / /media/Backup/
    else
      echo "Not all devices mounted!!"
    fi
    Last edited by ziphem; April 9th, 2012 at 08:18 AM.

Beans

Dude, Heliode, this is some darn good advice! I love the break down of the command, demonstrating you not only know the command, but what it actually means. I also really appreciate the sense of humor you bring to the table (i.e., Windows CrazyThings (tm), now that's entertainment!) I'm in my first six months of making the switch, and I couldn't be more pleased with Ubuntu or with Linux for that matter. Like you and many others, I was once a WinKy user, and this backup method beats the daylights out of anything coming out of the MS world.

Thanks for your time of posting this in the forums!

P.S.-- I think I know the command you're talking about when you said:

"You can even remove every single file of a Linux system while it is running with one command. I'm not giving you that command though!"

-That's probably a good idea - but don't we all feel like typing sudo s**** / every now and then when our computers aren't doing what we want?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@Heliode: Thanks for your nice tutorial.

I would also suggest to exclude the /media folder, since external devices or some dvd's shouldn't be backuped? Or what would you say?

best regards...

Beans

so if i use this guide to create a backup, and then with some messing around screw up my system completely, i should be able to use the backup to restore back completely, including gui settings, etc.?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hoveman View Post
    @Heliode: Thanks for your nice tutorial.

I would also suggest to exclude the /media folder, since external devices or some dvd's shouldn't be backuped? Or what would you say?

best regards...
    hoveman - you can exclude the /media folder, or simply unmount any partitions you have mounted there, however, if you want them as part of your backup, then you should leave them. I think heliode is giving this tutorial as a system backup, but you can use it for a full backup, if you wish. As far as audio CD (if one is in the drive) you'll want to exclude /home/<user>/.gvfs - or, of course, just eject the CD, but this should give you some more options.

Page 135 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast