Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so what is this I hear about HP, Dell, IBM and Novell talking about Linux

Beans

so what is this I hear about HP, Dell, IBM and Novell talking about Linux

I have heard some stuff about HP, Dell, IBM and Novell being invloved with Linux somehow. What are the details of these reports and do they have any real potential to do anything?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: so what is this I hear about HP, Dell, IBM and Novell talking about Linux

Hello presbp
    Novell is a Linux distributor,which makes its own Linux distribution called Suse,and I guess the other companies help develop and spread Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

And I believe one day Linux will have most or at least half of desktop share.

Beans

Didn't Novell buy SUSE? I don't think they created it...

HP takes a passive-agressive role in promoting linux. But they are at least linux friendly. They have excellent printer drivers and have provided funding for linux in the past.

Dell; They offer some pre-loaded Linux servers. They don't really "get" linux or promote it well. They still push RedHat as an ideal distro, I think, and RedHat just isn't the best anymore.

IBM funds a lot of open-source projects for their own private interest. They do it because it helps them compete with microsoft. They generally support open standards, and have donated money in the past. When I visited IBM in Southbury, CT a few weeks ago for a school thing (will be going back soon), I learned they donate approximately $100,000 a year, I think...it's not much, but it's something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

IBM was a player in Unix and so moved to linux when Unix went ugly; they also have a lot of programmers and engineers working on various things.

Novel (usa) bought SuSE gmbh (german), SuSE was one of the biggest distros with a familiar green lizard as their mascot; there was a lot of unsure people when novel bought them out because Novel got beaten up rather baddly by Microsoft with first locking out Novel Netware from Windows NT then doing some interesting things with word processors for which Novel is still engaged in legal proceedings; Novel was involved in Unix.

HP have always been involved in Linux, mainly because they were a player in Unix.

Dell want to use Linux and would rather sell linux on their machines but won't for fear of Microsoft. so they do various things on the side enough to put a brave face on it but nothing serious enough to get the wrath of Microsoft on them.

RedHat, Intel and Sun are the other interesting players while SCO was a unix player and went against Linux; Oracle is a big mover and shaker involved with unix products now looking for pie.

it's all rather sad.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You're right maniacmusician,Novell bought SUSE.Thank you for telling me.
    Sun Microsystems is also involved with Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello DoctorMO
    Thank you for your information.It is very nice.

Beans

IBM and HP have been big backers for linux and it doesnt look like dell is far behind
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

HP actually donated a rather sweet master server to kernel.org (the spiritual home of Linux i guess)

Probably didnt cost HP antyhing but its the thought that counts.

Kudos for HP
    ======================================
    Explosion at pie factory in Huddersfield.
    3.14159265 confirmed dead !!
    ======================================

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    Dell; They offer some pre-loaded Linux servers. They don't really "get" linux or promote it well. They still push RedHat as an ideal distro, I think, and RedHat just isn't the best anymore.
    Isn't the best what, distribution?

That's highly subjective at best and besides, from a desktop perspective they might not be the "best" but they DO give exceptional support services for RHEL and that's where they make their money, as businesses have confidence in them.
    We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation - Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast