Thread: Another ¨I want to start programming¨ Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Another ¨I want to start programming¨ Thread

Hi there,

Actually I have some experience in programming - Qbasic, VB6, pascal and then onto Delphi 7 but nothing beyond basic applications.

I would like to start either Java or C++ or C#, they are languages a friend recommended learning. I can ¨program¨ but I don´t really have a lot of industry know-how and would appreciate some advice on whats good and whats no so good.

Would you guys/girls mind taking a minute to suggest a language and/or an IDE?

Thanks a lot,

Rudolf Hoehler
    My philosophy in life: If it's not broken, tweak it 'till it breaks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Another ¨I want to start programming¨ Thread

I would recommend c/c++ or Java. I really don't feel there would be many areas you would NOT be able go if you started learning those. However, while learning those languages.. I would make sure I learned how to use programs on the actually operating system, ie, start making functional programs(something like being able to write a c program that figures out information about the system running the code), and then build your way up to complex programs. I am fairly good at writing problem solving codes with C, but I regret not having the know to be able to make any generally usable programs that could run on my desktop.. Thats the advice I would give. Good Luck!!
    Our Society has replaced Heroes with Celebrities, the quest for a well informed character with the search for a flat stomach, and substance and depth with image and personality.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If it's between those three languages, I'd recommend starting with C++ and picking up a good book (check out C++ Primer Plus or Accelerated C++). Once you learn C++, other languages (especially C) will be fairly easy to pick up. If you want to start out with an easier language, Python would be a good choice.

For an IDE, since you use Kubuntu I highly suggest KDevelop. If you decide to learn Python, a simple text editor will do the trick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by RudolfMDLT View Post
    Hi there,

Actually I have some experience in programming - Qbasic, VB6, pascal and then onto Delphi 7 but nothing beyond basic applications.

I would like to start either Java or C++ or C#, they are languages a friend recommended learning. I can ¨program¨ but I don´t really have a lot of industry know-how and would appreciate some advice on whats good and whats no so good.

Would you guys/girls mind taking a minute to suggest a language and/or an IDE?

Thanks a lot,

Rudolf Hoehler
    ARGH!

I'm confused... the way you've titled your post implies that you are aware that this question has been asked a million times. So, most likely, you've already done a search, and read those other posts. You must also have noticed the sticky posts:
    "How to start programming - guides and links for many languages" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333867
    "How did you learn to program?" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=8682
    "What's your favorite IDE" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6762

Normally, I don't really care about posts like this, but you seem to be aware that the question is already answered, yet you re-ask the exact same question, without even an attempt at differentiation!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jblebrun View Post
    ARGH!

I'm confused... the way you've titled your post implies that you are aware that this question has been asked a million times. So, most likely, you've already done a search, and read those other posts. You must also have noticed the sticky posts:
    "How to start programming - guides and links for many languages" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333867
    "How did you learn to program?" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=8682
    "What's your favorite IDE" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6762

Normally, I don't really care about posts like this, but you seem to be aware that the question is already answered, yet you re-ask the exact same question, without even an attempt at differentiation!
    i agree -- what do you (the OP) want to know that hasn't already been discussed/answered before?

Beans

I would like to start either Java or C++ or C#
    Whats the question then? Learn those if thats what you want...
    If you want to know what is popular in the industry, do some job hunting and see what comes up the most.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jblebrun View Post
    ARGH!

There are too many answers! ¨Whats your favorite IDE¨ is a 478 post thread... I just wanted some info from one or two caring characters and I´ll start there. And the how did you learn how to program is a 441 post thread.

And what would have happened if I had asked ¨What is the best language to program in?¨?

Sorry, I know it´s a 90% redundant post but the 10% extra I got out of it was necessary and I´m grateful for the info that people gave me.

as for the differentiation - I can program and I´m used to expensive IDE´s that allow you to drag and drop buttons onto forms, even SQL data objects are just a mouse click away and the auto complete dropdown is beautiful! I´m new to Linux and my experience with it has been that WISYWIG and GUI´s aren´t really a priority. Also there are 1001 choices out there and 478 posts don´t help narrow it down. 1 thoughtful post that recommends KDeveloper has given me a place to start.

Anyway I´m not one for rants,

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Rudolf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Wybiral View Post
    Whats the question then? Learn those if thats what you want...
    If you want to know what is popular in the industry, do some job hunting and see what comes up the most.
    Job Hunting - Did that - Mostly C and Java, quite a lot of VB. SQL is something that every one needs.

I would love to learn all 3 - but where to start - I´m a full time biomedical engineering student, I don´t have the time to learn all 3 at the same time and I just wanted an opinion to start from. I have it, thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Many people will give you many different answers. I guess it would depend alot on why you are interested in learning these specific languages. I would personally recommend Java, but that is simply my opinion. As far as an IDE I enjoy using Eclipse. I know this isnt much but I hope it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It does help thanks!