Page 50 of 70 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

Beans

Re: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

It's been a while since I checked out Oblivion in wine. There used to be a bug that caused grass and bushes to randomly appear and disappear. I can't find the bug in appdb anymore but it seems still apparent in the game when I test it.

Is the bug fixed yet?
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bastiegast View Post
    It's been a while since I checked out Oblivion in wine. There used to be a bug that caused grass and bushes to randomly appear and disappear. I can't find the bug in appdb anymore but it seems still apparent in the game when I test it.

Is the bug fixed yet?
    The bug stopped occurring for me around the time I upgraded to an 8800gt from a 7900gs and I'm pretty sure that the card change was what fixed it and not an upgrade to wine.In fact I just tested it and the issue doesn't occur with 0.9.53 or 0.9.56.There is a bug for the game "The Witcher" which has rendering errors when used with 6xxx and 7xxx nvidia cards that don't occur when using 8xxx series cards.This seems to occur because wine uses up some of the shader pipelines for the directx to opengl conversion which results in not enough shaders being left over to render everything correctly.I'm thinking that this is what causes the trees pop in and out with Oblivion.Look here for the bug report: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11285

Beans

Ok thanks for the info!
    That sounds very logical to me because the first time I experienced this bug was in wine 0.9.33 if I remember correctly. That release improved directx support and a lot of shaders started working in Oblivion.
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

john@Turion:/media/cdrom$ ls
    john@Turion:/media/cdrom$ wine setup.exe
    wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\setup.exe": Module not found
    Should be the right mount point. Did I miss something?

Background: Hardy using 9.54 Gutsy debs because 9.55 is blah. Game of the Year Edition. Proper fixes for this seems to have been taken. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevices already existed.
    Be kind to others. Even those that are not kind to you. You never know if their mom just died.
    -My Mom

Beans

Where does the .dll file go after i extract it with cabextract?

EDIT: Figured this out with the --help in cabextract, still not able to run oblivion though. launcher opens but then says it cant find the disk.

EDIT: Got Oblivion up and running, fairly well, under wine 9.55. A few little bugs but nothing that makes it unplayable, if you try to click through the intro sequence all hell breaks loose, and sometimes a random buzzing in the audio, but it's easy to ignore and it goes away after a while. Thanks to OP for a great how-to.
    Last edited by foosed; February 28th, 2008 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Good news. 0.9.56 has stubs for the d3dx9_27.dll. So before I upgraded from 0.9.56, I removed that Windows DLL file from Wine's System32 directory. I upgraded and ran Oblivion, and so far, and although with the performance limited by fbo, Oblivion runs fine.

This means that Oblivion can be now finally be run with no code that requires a Microsoft license. Now if they can just get pbuffer to work again soon, and before they declare a 1.0 release, I'll be very happy.

Beans

jpittack I couldn't get my plugins and mods to work. got almost the same error. I fixed it by putting the .exe files(your plugins) inside the data folder in your oblivion folder. I guess default is:
    home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/oblivion/Data
    Just drag the mods there and right click on them and choose open with wine emulator.

BTW does anyone else getting bad FPS inside the buildings, like inside Battlehorn? My fps outside is around 40 but drops dramatically when i face enemies, or go inside buildings, to around <10 fps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carltonh View Post
    Good news. 0.9.56 has stubs for the d3dx9_27.dll. So before I upgraded from 0.9.56, I removed that Windows DLL file from Wine's System32 directory. I upgraded and ran Oblivion, and so far, and although with the performance limited by fbo, Oblivion runs fine.

This means that Oblivion can be now finally be run with no code that requires a Microsoft license. Now if they can just get pbuffer to work again soon, and before they declare a 1.0 release, I'll be very happy.
    AFAIK pbuffers are not better or faster than fbos, at least with nvidia cards.I'd say that the reason that pbuffers worked better in older wine versions was simply because the wine code for pbuffers was better/faster/more complete, but that is not the case with newer wine releases.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Anyone ever get obse working?
    http://obse.silverlock.org/
    There are a tonne of cool adons that use it.

Beans

okay it would appear that i am unfortunately a LE' N00B (new to Linux,Ubuntu,wine) is there any script that will enable me to just run oblivion or is that completely out of the question .... if it is is there any
    newbie instructions

PS~ be nice now we were all le' n00bs at one point lolz {post back soon}
    Last edited by scottyboycj2; March 19th, 2008 at 03:13 AM. Reason: review needed

Page 50 of 70 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast