Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

My oblivion works fine, except that the game crashes whenever I try to open the journal, just wondering if anyone has some advice on this. I don't know if its been fixed or not but I get the same problem on wine 0.9.56 and 0.9.57, is there some hack I could try?

I just want to play Oblivion

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Don't worry, it works now, I just installed shivering isles and now it works!!!

Beans

Hi...I'm a total Ubuntu noob that just changed OS cos i got pissed off at vista =)...and i've been trying to use wine to run oblivion. but every tme i start the game i keep getting " Unable to find a CD-ROM/DVD drive on this computer". can sum1 help me out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Read the wiki to see how to install and setup the game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am having problems within the game. I am doing the Fighter's Guild quests. My current rank is a Warder. I can't get any more contacts (Jobs) from any of the Guild Leaders. Not in Anvil, Bravil, Cheydinhal, or Chorrol

I have the following quests:
    Azani Blackheart
    The Fugitives
    The Wandering Scholar
    Trolls of Forsaken Mine
    The Noble's Daughter
    Mystery at Harlun's Watch

I have talked to Modryn Oreyn and he seems like he is still in the Fighter's Guild. So, I don't think he has been kicked out yet. I have talked to Azzan in Fighters Guild of Anvil, but he says there is no more contacts for me. I have not done the quest "The Stone of St. Alessia" but I am have not been demoted. I am still Warder. I can't get any more contacts or promotions. What should I do?

Sugi
    WINE: Super Meat Boy // Far Cry 2 // Lineage 2
    VirtualBox: Snapshots // OSE Issues
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans

I 've read that since wine 0.9.40 or so HDR works in oblivion.
    I've got an nvidia 7600 GT , and I can't get it to show anything else than the old blue screen + UI, with wine 0.9.58 ..
    Is there anything special that must be done with wine for hdr to work ?

PS: So far I've tried with a full dx9 installation in wine and with a regular wine + d3dx9_27.dll and various combinations of offscreenrendering modes (fbo, pbuffer,..) all with no success. Also, I've tried disabling various other shaders through the oblivion ini file , with no results whatsoever concerning hdr.
    I want to live in this alternate universe T___T

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by oedipuss View Post
    I 've read that since wine 0.9.40 or so HDR works in oblivion.
    I've got an nvidia 7600 GT , and I can't get it to show anything else than the old blue screen + UI, with wine 0.9.58 ..
    Is there anything special that must be done with wine for hdr to work ?
    It's never worked for me either. I see blue outside and black indoors. I figure if it's working for some then it must be a hardware or driver issue but who knows.

Beans

I replaced the file shaderpackage002 with shaderpackage019 in the /data/shaders folder , and now hdr works with no apparent sideeffects ^_^ It seems there was some king of misdetection, or something.
    Also, it's not that slow.. The water shader still seems the one responsible for most of the performance loss. With it , there seems to be a cap at about 7 to 10 fps outdoors, regardless of detail settings or resolution, and without it, it goes up to 20, and possibly more with some tweaking. It doesn't seem much but it gets playable.

Beans

Ok the shaderpackage switching thing is a dirty hack but it worked for me too. Just don't randomly start switching shader packages.
    Here's the procedure(If I remember correctly):

- Start Oblivion with HDR ENABLED
    - Load a random saved game, doesn't matter which one, just get in-game.
    - Close Oblivion
    - Find and open My Games/RenderInfo.txt (same directory as Oblivion.ini)
    - Find the line "Shader Package" and read the number.
    - Go to Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion/Data/Shaders/
    - Replace the shaderpackageXXX.dsp corresponding to the number - found in renderinfo.txt with shaderpackage001.sdp (BUT MAKE A BACKUP FIRST)
    - Start Oblivion and hope it works

Remember, this is a hack and it might mess up the game, but if you backed up properly you can quite easily restore it.
    Also disable the water shader as explained in the wiki to gain some performance.
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bastiegast View Post
    Just don't randomly start switching shader packages.
    Why not XD
    Pretty psychedelic effects, except when it page faults

I wonder what's the reason behind the limited performance. Some posts on oblivion+cedega say that it can approach native windows fps, (possibly with hdr too once cedega supports it properly), so it should be possible under wine too, theoretically.
    With the water shader turned off, it doesn't get more than a +5 fps boost, still nowhere near native.

Do you think it will ever get fixed ? And I don't mean with the exact same speed as in windows, that's improbable if not impossible, but at least approach it, as other games do.

Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast