Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

Hi Khaal,

Thx for the reply.. how did you get it working ?

When I run the OblivionLauncher.exe from the windows partition, I get the launcher but the options to "Play" is greyed out..

Rax

Beans

Oh, i installed it in wine (which went fine) and then I could run the wine install version from windows. Though i had a no-cd patch applied too.

...Now that i think of it, i also had a previous install of oblivion on that partition, so that might affect why it worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

ok.. thanks.
    Unfortunately I don't have enough space on any of the linux partitions to install it properly.. dang!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Perhaps someone can help me with this.

1. Magic effects such as detect life, don't show up, nor do fire effects from fire spells with a longer duration (weak fireball)

2. Hitting CAPS LOCK to turn on always run, does not work.

I followed the guide at the beginning of this thread, and I am using the latest version of WINE (9.50 I think)
    In life without walls, who needs windows?

Beans

I am trying to install Oblivion under wine following the info from the beginning of this thread. But i keep getting the error below. Googled and really did not find too much info. Anyone encounter this problem?

A required security module cannot be activated.
    This program cannot be executed (7000).

Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=module&c=7000 for further, more detailed information.

I am running Gutsy with the newest version of Wine. Maybe I should use an older version as per the wiki. Has anyone successfully used the new version of Wine to run Oblivion? Video card is Nidia 7950GT.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Is this a GotY disc? The guide only covers the first pressing of Oblivion and the separate content paks. The Shivering Isles required a round the 'bout install method due to similar issues. Securom is horrible for Linux gaming. Read the Wiki guide and use the unpack install method suggested for SI as a basis.

Beans

Man you not the only one its not working very well for me nether. I got the same error. And yes I'm using a gotY disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I have joined your ranks. I was dual-booting to play Oblivion but I finally got it installed and running on Ubuntu with a few tweaks. The wiki guide is great.

I just wanted to note my hardware and quirks for others. I have a Core2 Duo e6700 with 2GB of Ram and Nvidia 8800GT with 512MB of Ram. The game runs beautifully at 1650x1080 in Winxp with all settings maxed. I never checked what fps I was getting but I'd guess that it was well over 50fps.

In Ubuntu I'm running Wine 0.9.52 (just released yesterday) and the proprietary Nvidia driver 169.04. I am not running the newer 169.07 because it has a bug that causes the fan to run full blast all the time. I have turned on 2x anti-aliasing in the nvidia driver settings since Oblivion doesn't allow turning on AA in the game for some reason.

I have water shading, Bloom, and HDR turned off and I'm not using a virtual wine screen but just playing the game full screen at 1650x1080. The game is rather slow at around 10-30fps outside. I've turned off grass completely, tried lower resolutions, tweaking distance settings, etc. but nothing seems to make any difference. I'm guessing that it's the fault of this first run nvidia driver. Hopefully the next version will improve performance a lot because it's rather painful to play at this framerate after being used to playing it much smoother.

Everything else works great except for the loss of water detail which is a bummer. Oh well, hopefully this is useful for someone.

Beans

Does the tutorial work with WINE 0.9.46 ?
    niethslim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by niethslim View Post
    Does the tutorial work with WINE 0.9.46 ?
    short answer: yes

Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast