Thread: MonoDevelop Colours?

Beans

MonoDevelop Colours?

I have a particular colour configuration that I use for all my editors, mostly consisting of green on a black background. I've used this configuration for what feels like forever and a day between Emacs, then Eclipse and recently VS.NET 2003.

There's a very good reason for this kind of colour scheme. I work mostly on a *tiny* laptop, with limited resolution and limited brightness. I happily throw this thing into my bag and carry it everywhere since it weighs bugger all. The negative colour scheme helps avoid problems such as light reflections, and I find it easier on my eyes over a longer period of time.

Now I appear to have something of a conundrum. MonoDevleop, for which I have been impressed so far, only allows me to change the colour of the *text* in the editor. This is fine and dandy, but nowhere can I find an option to change the background colour. Am I missing something here, or is there some estoric setting hidden away in an XML file that I can tweak to switch the editor background to black?

Many Regards,

Kian Ryan
    Last edited by kian_ronan; January 30th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.

Beans

Re: MonoDevelop Colours?

Anyone ever figure this out?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pkkid View Post
    Anyone ever figure this out?
    nop, searched all setting itmes in [Preferences] found no solution...

Beans

Thats too bad, I was really hoping to use this editor full time, and it seems like something one of the dev guys could fix in 5 minutes. The best I could come up with was using CompizFusions inverse color option.

For me its "Win + n"

Beans

Beans

Yep, to finish off this thread, MonoDevelop2 in Ubuntu 9.04 fixes this issue using the same system for colors as the built in gedit.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: MonoDevelop Colours?

Quote Originally Posted by pkkid View Post
    ...MonoDevelop2 in Ubuntu 9.04 fixes this issue using the same system for colors as the built in gedit.
    If this is the case, I must be doing something wrong. Editing gedit preferences made no difference. Do I need to explicitly define colors for a *.cs file?

I did get this to work by creating my own theme file. These are just simple XML files which can be imported via the MonoDevelop UI by going to Edit > Preferences > Text Editor > Syntax Highlighting. Several pre-existing themes are shown there.

I am not sure where those theme XML files are stored, but you easily find them on the MonoDevelop SVN, here.

The files are pretty straight forward and can be imported via the UI dialog box. Only one word of caution: it seems that the filename MUST end in "Style.xml" Without "Style" appended, I never got it to read the file.

I did a quick write up on my site, here.

Edit 10-18-2009: Sorry, the link was broken. It is fixed now.
    Last edited by zourtney; October 18th, 2009 at 07:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does no one have the problem of not being able to read the parameters of a method in the MonoDevelop tooltip?
    Because they are printed dark blue (standard link color) and the tooltip background is black.

I solved this with the Gnome Color Chooser ... just if anyone else has this issue.