Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's really so bad about Vista?

Beans

What's really so bad about Vista?

Ok, it's not because I want Vista or even like MS. It's just because I read so much negative stuff about it on this forum, that prompts me to ask:
    Besides all the bloat, the unfairly strict licence, and high resource usage, what's really so bad about Vista?

Personally it's only the licence that bothers me, because getting a new computer solves both the other points. And I already have a new machine

I for one DO see the improvement over XP. I do think it has better security, especially because you're not always in superuser mode any more - a huge leap for MS. And it just feels more streamlined, simple, and easier.
    Last edited by Sammi; January 30th, 2007 at 11:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: What's really so bad about Vista?

Well the so called User Account Protection feature has been tested and found to be a bit difficult if not nagsome compared to how the same thing has been done in Linux or OS X.

Also the built-in DRM feature prevents high-quality output of all your devices from working while viewing protected content. Picture gets downsampled and audio outputs get turned off. Of course the nice thing is that your nice new LCD display capable of HD is not a protected device and thus when viewing legally purchased HD content you get a lower picture instead. This is supposedly to stop piracy.

Then there's the fact that Vista requires so much juice to run. Laptop batterylife is going down which is really obscure since OS X with all the eye candy in the world manages pretty decent battery life.

Basically it's a cardhouse / domino effect. Everything effects everything. There are many ways that Vista will suck that will not be apparent to you until you experience them.

Of course most users will simply shrug all this off as "the way it's going to be"...
    Eternally confused.

Beans

Re: What's really so bad about Vista?

the $750 price tag is hardly what you would call nice!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    Besides all the bloat, the unfairly strict licence, and high resource usage, what's really so bad about Vista?
    The fact that they make you pay A LOT to have a nicer interface and a safer environment (that's what they tell you), and you don't know you're entering the DRM world (that's what they don't tell you).

Basically, you pay to restrict your possibilities.

Beans

Not to be mean, but other than the bad things...
    It's fantastic!

I haven't used a finished version yet, so I really can't say.
    Those that have used Windows on several releases know that from the time the OS comes out to the time it's actually finished there is a gap.

Now that it is out. We'll still have to wait for drivers, programs, and the rest of the world to catch up to the new OS. Perhaps in a few months or a year it'll be usable without major problems. Most things are still made for XP...

Windows has never had an OS that was lighter than the previous one. As far as I know they don't even stay the same, just get heavier.
    They have probably made a great OS that rivals their previous ones in great strides and detail.

The main problem is that no person like me has actually picked up Vista yet.
    Custom tweakers have made XP lighter than the base for years.
    This is where those people will come in handy in order to make Vista light for the current PCs.

Vista might start rocking the PC industry in the summer of this year...
    Most consumers won't even give half a crap over it until a birthday, and that will only be for those that have cash saved.
    In a years time the Dual core and Quad core pcs will have lower prices.
    Xmas 2007 will probably be where most average Joe consumer get their spanking new Vista PC.

I think until then it's not going to matter a lot, since it's probably going to take that much to get software optimized for Vista.

As for the price...
    The main problem with that is that it isn't stable.
    We can't really say Vista costs 400€ or 260€ for an upgrade because they have deals with everybody.
    Insane discounts for a few and none for others.

As for the DRM...
    Well! Average Joe hasn't even heard about it.
    Most of the Geeking Comunity hasn't even heard about it.

What Vista is introducing that most people haven't spoken about it is a nice way to end up in jail if you do illegal things.
    Trusted Platform Module + Digital Rights Management + Biometrics Reader + Internet = Big Brother
    TPM will introduce a hardware lock for your computer, and, among other things, a safe place to keep your passwords.
    Introduce a password by Fingerprint reader and we have a match for person that will stick well in most courts.

I'm pretty sure that if you break a DRM it's going to be sent in to a HQ somewhere to have further analisys. Might not happen now, but it's getting there...

Vista isn't just safer and pretty; it's the noose around your neck. All they have to do is tug the rope.

We all know a crack is going to popup somewhere to break all these problems. So fear not.
    Last edited by Mr_J_; January 30th, 2007 at 11:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    I do think it has better security, especially because you're not always in superuser mode any more - a huge leap for MS. And it just feels more streamlined, simple, and easier.
    This is just plain wrong No, seriously, If someone can tell me for sure that Windows now has REAL users/groups, this would be a huge leap.

In my opinion, and on what I've seen on Vista, the whole user thingy is superficial. It's based on the application you use.

I'm a software developer for an ISP, and I made a automated installer that installs some programs in the background.

When I click on each of the programs manually to install them, it will ask me several times if I want to execute this. When launched by the installer, this won't happen at all. Not even when launching the program.

Also, I can't see the "superuser" mode, If you just have to click some button to become "superuser". That's simply mad, and not more secure at all. This all is more like a multi-user "patch" to a single-user system, IMHO.

Also, I think it's not even easier or more streamlined. When I ask the average Joe user from my family (my dad), who used Windows 98, not even likes Windows XP. Go figure with Vista...

I find it more confusing in Vista to navigate around. Example: Why do I have to search for two hours in Vista just to get the check box deactivated that let's me connect to the corporate network?

OK, bashing Vista aside..

I don't like the company that it developing Vista. I wonder every time why people just forget about DRM/WGA/Trusted computing.

I personally don't want continue to being forced into this Microsoft nightmare.

Using Ubuntu for me is to feel really good, just like a good dream

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

Note: Don't want to start a flame war here, this is just my opinion...
    Benedikt Bär - www.relamp.tk
    WARNING: Some commands can be harmful when executed, especially the ones starting with "rm". If you are in doubt what a certain command will do, please ask other members first before executing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

[Not to be mean, but other than the bad things...
    It's fantastic!
    i could say the same with global warming, have hardly had any snow here for years!
    Last edited by K.Mandla; January 30th, 2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Fixed a tag. Sorry.
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Win 98 was quite a good product, not to much nonsense, win xp was a terrible product.
    Not stable, not good memory management and so on, I think we all can agreed to that.
    Iv'e been using linux for eight years now I think, and what I see is that the desktops get more and more bloated and it feels like soon you can't find a distro without some form of xgl integrated (don't count gentoo to this).
    You can install vista without all the eye-candy and then it's actually a quite snappy system, reliable. Have to say that I'm really impressed.
    And in order to run something that may fiddle with the system files you have to approve. Don't know how well this will work. But it leaves a serious front.
    Vrooom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This is, shall I say, majorly disappointing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/

Basically, Vista runs no faster than XP and in many cases it is slower. Yay Progress!

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast